Or is it rather "easy" to replace gpg itself and just using the appropiate functions which gpg also uses somehow?

Cheers,

JH
Re: sdk library available [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, J Hartman wrote:

> If not, is there some ongoing development?

No. Use the Unix way. The overhead of fork and exec is not that high
compared to the crypto operations. Have a look at your MTA, it is
calling procmail (when used) for each message. The httpd calls a CGI
on every transaction.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013

Boycott Amazon! - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html
Re: sdk library available [ In reply to ]

>> If not, is there some ongoing development [of an sdk]?

WK> No. Use the Unix way. The overhead of fork and exec is not
WK> that high compared to the crypto operations.

Yeah, but it's stupendously high for Windows systems. It's going to be
difficult to develop plugins for e.g. Eudora or Netscape without some
kind of separable library.

It's fairly easy to say that GnuPG "only" works on Unix and Unix-like
OSes, but I think that puts us all at a big disadvantage. GnuPG is
essentially a communications tool, and pleasant or not the fact is
that most people don't use Unix for their computer communications (at
least on the MUA side). Getting GnuPG to those people, too, means -we-
can all use it more often. :-)

As a side note, I'm wondering what the policy is for American citizens
to contribute to GnuPG. Could I hack the code (e.g., to make a
separate DLL for Windows) and submit my diffs? Or is that illegal?

~ESP

ESP <evangelo@pigdog.org> | http://pigdog.org/ | RoR - Alucard
Re: sdk library available [ In reply to ]
ESP <evangelo@pigdog.org> writes:

> As a side note, I'm wondering what the policy is for American citizens
> to contribute to GnuPG. Could I hack the code (e.g., to make a
> separate DLL for Windows) and submit my diffs? Or is that illegal?

It's recently changed, and I think someone on linux-kernel was seeking
legal counsel on precisely what would be safe... you might check the
archives for that list.

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
Re: sdk library available [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 04:50:44PM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> ESP <evangelo@pigdog.org> writes:
>
> > As a side note, I'm wondering what the policy is for American citizens
> > to contribute to GnuPG. Could I hack the code (e.g., to make a
> > separate DLL for Windows) and submit my diffs? Or is that illegal?
>
> It's recently changed, and I think someone on linux-kernel was seeking
> legal counsel on precisely what would be safe... you might check the
> archives for that list.

There is some information here on the new US crypto exports law(s):

http://www.mozilla.org/crypto-faq.html

I'm not really sure what the details are (I haven't read heavily into
it yet). Could somebody post a general summary?

Phil

--
Philip Edelbrock -- IS Manager -- Edge Design, Corvallis, OR
phil@netroedge.com -- http://www.netroedge.com/~phil
Re: sdk library available [ In reply to ]
That's totally I am thinking about it, too.
I just encountered a mailing list for gcrypt, the GNU crypto library, isn't that supposed to be such a library??? How about that? Died?

Cheers,

Josef