Mailing List Archive

gpg agent difficulty
Hi,

I'm using Kontact (Kmail 1.6.1) in my computer and I'm installing gpg as a
plugin for the e-mail client.

I've read http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html and followed its
instructions with a few exceptions:

- didn't use newpg anymore
- didn't do "If you updated gpg from 1.0.6 or earlier, please make sure to set
your own key to ultimate trust yourself, to move the old options file
~/.gnupg/options to the new location ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf and to run

gpg --rebuild-keydb-caches"

I have gpg.conf with use-agent and ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf with
pinentry-program /usr/local/bin/pinentry-qt
no-grab
default-cache-ttl 1800

Everything went fine, but my computer seems not to have agent installed.

When I run $ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
bash: gpg-agent: command not found

Can you tell me what is missing?

Thank you in advance.

Luis Mendes
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 07:33:35PM +0100, Luis P. Mendes wrote:
> Everything went fine, but my computer seems not to have agent installed.
>
> When I run $ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
> bash: gpg-agent: command not found
>
> Can you tell me what is missing?

gpg-agent?

Should come with gnupg-1.9.x,
Debian has a separate package.
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Monday 12 July 2004 20:33, Luis P. Mendes wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm using Kontact (Kmail 1.6.1) in my computer and I'm installing gpg
> as a plugin for the e-mail client.
>
> I've read http://kmail.kde.org/kmail-pgpmime-howto.html and followed
> its instructions with a few exceptions:
>
> - didn't use newpg anymore
> - didn't do "If you updated gpg from 1.0.6 or earlier, please make
> sure to set your own key to ultimate trust yourself, to move the old
> options file ~/.gnupg/options to the new location ~/.gnupg/gpg.conf
> and to run
>
> gpg --rebuild-keydb-caches"
>
> I have gpg.conf with use-agent and ~/.gnupg/gpg-agent.conf with
> pinentry-program /usr/local/bin/pinentry-qt
> no-grab
> default-cache-ttl 1800
>

> Everything went fine, but my computer seems not to have agent
> installed.
>
> When I run $ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
> bash: gpg-agent: command not found
>
> Can you tell me what is missing?

gpg-agent is part of newpg. So you need to install newpg even if you
don't need S/MIME support.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]

http://www.gnupg.org/aegypten/development.en.html

> Everything went fine, but my computer seems not to have agent installed.
> When I run $ eval "$(gpg-agent --daemon)"
> bash: gpg-agent: command not found
> Can you tell me what is missing?

gnupg-1.9.3.tar.gz (1.2MB)
Also available as a debian package, gnupg1.9

--

Neil Williams
=============

Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:49:04 +0200, Ingo Klöcker said:

> gpg-agent is part of newpg. So you need to install newpg even if you
> don't need S/MIME support.

No, no, no. newpg is dead and replaced by gnupg 1.9.x.

Werner
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Friday 16 July 2004 19:39, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:49:04 +0200, Ingo Klöcker said:
> > gpg-agent is part of newpg. So you need to install newpg even if
> > you don't need S/MIME support.
>
> No, no, no. newpg is dead and replaced by gnupg 1.9.x.

Yeah, and everybody (I'm talking about fellow KDE developers and not
about users) apart from Marc (and probably a few others who know the
secret incantation) seems to be unable to make KMail work with the new
stuff. The old stuff OTOH still works perfectly for me and some other
people after they removed the new stuff. I didn't even bother to
install the new stuff so far because I see no benefit (I don't need
S/MIME) and because the reports of the others who tried it don't
exactly make me want to try it.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Friday 16 July 2004 8:25, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 16 July 2004 19:39, Werner Koch wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:49:04 +0200, Ingo Klöcker said:
> > > gpg-agent is part of newpg. So you need to install newpg even if
> > > you don't need S/MIME support.
> > No, no, no. newpg is dead and replaced by gnupg 1.9.x.
>
> Yeah, and everybody (I'm talking about fellow KDE developers and not
> about users) apart from Marc (and probably a few others who know the
> secret incantation) seems to be unable to make KMail work with the new
> stuff.

Interesting, I had to use the same tweak to get both working. When I had an
older KMail and newpg, I had problems getting the gpg-agent environment
variable recognised using .xsession and had to put it into startkde. When I
upgraded KMail and switched to gnupg1.9 (after a change from Mandrake to
Debian) I had exactly the same problem and the same solution. Ever since,
signing using MIME has been faultless. Maybe it's just Debian.
:-)

--

Neil Williams
=============

Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:25:09 +0200, Ingo Klöcker said:

> Yeah, and everybody (I'm talking about fellow KDE developers and not
> about users) apart from Marc (and probably a few others who know the
> secret incantation) seems to be unable to make KMail work with the new
> stuff. The old stuff OTOH still works perfectly for me and some other

The gpg-agent from newpg has serious flaws and I really wonder how you
all can life with it. gnupg 1.9 is a replcement for newpg since
December and I can't remember any critical bugs reported then. I
assumed everyone is using that for a long time now.

Werner
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:15:05AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:25:09 +0200, Ingo Klöcker said:
>
> > Yeah, and everybody (I'm talking about fellow KDE developers and not
> > about users) apart from Marc (and probably a few others who know the
> > secret incantation) seems to be unable to make KMail work with the new
> > stuff. The old stuff OTOH still works perfectly for me and some other
>
> The gpg-agent from newpg has serious flaws and I really wonder how you
> all can life with it. gnupg 1.9 is a replcement for newpg since
> December and I can't remember any critical bugs reported then. I
> assumed everyone is using that for a long time now.

Maybe that is the problem then.
We need more bug reports and also more usage.

Ingo: What were the problems with gnupg1.9. in particular?
Do we have them in the bugtracker already?
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Monday 19 July 2004 14:54, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:15:05AM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:25:09 +0200, Ingo Klöcker said:
> > > Yeah, and everybody (I'm talking about fellow KDE developers and
> > > not about users) apart from Marc (and probably a few others who
> > > know the secret incantation) seems to be unable to make KMail
> > > work with the new stuff. The old stuff OTOH still works perfectly
> > > for me and some other
> >
> > The gpg-agent from newpg has serious flaws and I really wonder how
> > you all can life with it.

I can't remember having read anything about serious flaws in this
version of gpg-agent.

> > gnupg 1.9 is a replcement for newpg
> > since December and I can't remember any critical bugs reported
> > then. I assumed everyone is using that for a long time now.
>
> Maybe that is the problem then.
> We need more bug reports and also more usage.
>
> Ingo: What were the problems with gnupg1.9. in particular?
> Do we have them in the bugtracker already?

I can't tell since I haven't tried gnupg 1.9. But other people tried,
failed and asked me for help on IRC or via personal mail. Maybe it
wasn't gnupg 1.9 which caused the problems but some other part of
Aegypten 2. All I know is that they didn't manage to get
signing/encryption to work in KMail. After they downgraded it worked
again.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Monday 19 July 2004 11:15, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:25:09 +0200, Ingo Klöcker said:
> > Yeah, and everybody (I'm talking about fellow KDE developers and not
> > about users) apart from Marc (and probably a few others who know the
> > secret incantation) seems to be unable to make KMail work with the new
> > stuff. The old stuff OTOH still works perfectly for me and some other
>
> The gpg-agent from newpg has serious flaws and I really wonder how you
> all can life with it. gnupg 1.9 is a replcement for newpg since
> December and I can't remember any critical bugs reported then. I
> assumed everyone is using that for a long time now.
>
> Werner

The reason why most people still use the old stuff is because the latest
distribution (e.g. SuSE 9.1) still install the old GnuPG 1.2 stuff.
Re: gpg agent difficulty [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:32:22 +0200, Ingo Klöcker said:

> I can't remember having read anything about serious flaws in this
> version of gpg-agent.

Maybe not visible on the surface. See the NEWS file and the
ChangeLogs.

> I can't tell since I haven't tried gnupg 1.9. But other people tried,

You should.

> signing/encryption to work in KMail. After they downgraded it worked
> again.

and may have even corrupted their pubring.kbx...

Salam-Shalom,

Werner