Mailing List Archive

gnupg package version mismatch
Hi Expert,

The commit [b67e4e523 Improve the beta number generation.] [1]
extends the version to make it work well for non release version,
but it introduces the below version inconsistency though we use a
release version 2.4.3.

# rpm -qa | grep gnupg
gnupg-2.4.3-r0.core2_64
# rpm -ql gnupg
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/dirmngr
/usr/bin/dirmngr-client
/usr/bin/gpg-card
/usr/bin/gpg-connect-agent
/usr/bin/gpg-wks-client
/usr/bin/gpg-wks-server
/usr/bin/gpgconf
/usr/bin/gpgparsemail
/usr/bin/gpgscm
/usr/bin/gpgsm
/usr/bin/gpgsplit
/usr/bin/gpgtar
/usr/bin/gpgv
/usr/bin/gpgv2
[snip]

# gpgv --version
gpgv (GnuPG) 2.4.3-unknown
[snip]

We expects below output:
# gpgv --version
gpgv (GnuPG) 2.4.3
[snip]

[1]
https://git.gnupg.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gnupg.git;a=blobdiff;f=autogen.sh;h=2b0a5dc51a7386ef90ff6c8358d26b9cc65c0c72;hp=471193c2af6a298fdde466950061dd890feb230e;hb=b67e4e523e6d19d384e23c5bb03010caebd150e7;hpb=518d835380a2ae01d6a9cc19de92684baade96a4

Re: gnupg package version mismatch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:17, Yu, Mingli said:

> gpgv (GnuPG) 2.4.3-unknown

You get the -unknown suffix if you run the autogen.sh script (or
autoconf directly) from a release tarball. Don't do this - just run
./configure.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service. - A. Einstein
Re: gnupg package version mismatch [ In reply to ]
On 1/22/24 18:31, Werner Koch wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:17, Yu, Mingli said:
>
>> gpgv (GnuPG) 2.4.3-unknown
>
> You get the -unknown suffix if you run the autogen.sh script (or
> autoconf directly) from a release tarball. Don't do this - just run
> ./configure.

For some reason, we need to run autoreconf. Is there any way to remove
the -unknown suffix for the release version.

Thanks,

Re: gnupg package version mismatch [ In reply to ]
On Mittwoch, 24. Januar 2024 06:30:41 CET Yu, Mingli via Gnupg-devel wrote:
> On 1/22/24 18:31, Werner Koch wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jan 2024 16:17, Yu, Mingli said:
> >> gpgv (GnuPG) 2.4.3-unknown
> >
> > You get the -unknown suffix if you run the autogen.sh script (or
> > autoconf directly) from a release tarball. Don't do this - just run
> > ./configure.
>
> For some reason, we need to run autoreconf. Is there any way to remove
> the -unknown suffix for the release version.

openSUSE applies this patch
https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/gpg2/gnupg-nobetasuffix.patch?expand=1
on their build system.

Regards,
Ingo
Re: gnupg package version mismatch [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:08, Ingo Klöcker said:

> openSUSE applies this patch
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/gpg2/gnupg-nobetasuffix.patch?expand=1
> on their build system.

Ahem. If you really must do that, go ahead. However, I would prefer if
you just replace the "-unknown" by "-windriver". And for Suse and other
distros who use modified versions to replace that by a string like
"-suse". This would help us a lot to evaluate bug reports.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

Re: gnupg package version mismatch [ In reply to ]
On 1/25/24 00:44, Werner Koch via Gnupg-devel wrote:
> CAUTION: This email comes from a non Wind River email account!
> Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.
>
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 13:08, Ingo Klöcker said:
>
>> openSUSE applies this patch
>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file/openSUSE:Factory/gpg2/gnupg-nobetasuffix.patch?expand=1
>> on their build system.
>
> Ahem. If you really must do that, go ahead. However, I would prefer if
> you just replace the "-unknown" by "-windriver". And for Suse and other
> distros who use modified versions to replace that by a string like
> "-suse". This would help us a lot to evaluate bug reports.

Could you help to provide one option to remove the
-unknown suffix for the release version though we use git source.

Thanks,

Re: gnupg package version mismatch [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 5 Feb 2024 15:53, Yu, Mingli said:

> Could you help to provide one option to remove the
> -unknown suffix for the release version though we use git source.

Building production builds from git is not suggested. Create a tarball
and build from that. That also helps to comply with the GPL
requirements (hint: make distcheck).

Salam-Shalom,

Werner