Mailing List Archive

Suggestion for OpenPGP standard update
Hello,

   I was thinking, it's time for the OpenPGP standard to be updated
with a shorter form for the parts of inline messages that indicate a
message is signed and/or encrypted, to make it more useful for signing
and/or encrypting messages on services that limit the number of chars
per message. For example, a lot of Mastodon instances of the ActivityPub
Fediverse, limit message length to 500 chars. It's a lot to give up a
large fraction of the message char length for the following openpgp bits:

That's 108 characters just for OpenPGP. If that could be abbreviated,
that would save some precious chars for people's actual messages. I
realize that gnupg devels don't own the standard, but have to simply
implement the standard, but I thought you all might be in a position to
advocate such a change with whoever maintains the standard.

So, for example, maybe something like:

--BPSM--
H: SHA512
--BPSG--
--EPSG--

Which reduces the total char count down to 39 chars (of course, not
counting the actual encrypted hash) at least with SHA512 as the hash -
of course, it would be variable length because the hash abbreviation
might be longer or shorter for other hashes.

Sorry if this has been previously discussed on the mailing list - the
list server does not provide a search function, and I couldn't find this
in the gnupg FAQ, or doing a web search for "shorter pgp signature".

It does occur to me another approach would be to attach signatures to
such posts as an .asc file or .sig file, but as that may not always be
an available solution for everyone, it really seems like shortening the
openpgp inline text delimiters could be helpful in a lot of cases.
Re: Suggestion for OpenPGP standard update [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeff,

Kind regards,
Wiktor

Re: Suggestion for OpenPGP standard update [ In reply to ]
Thanks. I will join that list and post there.

On 11/1/2023 4:28 PM, Wiktor Kwapisiewicz wrote:
> Hi Jeff, > > I think a more appropriate venue for this type of discussion would
be the OpenPGP Mailing List. See
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/openpgp > > Kind regards, > Wiktor
Re: Suggestion for OpenPGP standard update [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On Wed, 1 Nov 2023 13:43, Jeff Schmidt said:

> That's 108 characters just for OpenPGP. If that could be abbreviated,
> that would save some precious chars for people's actual messages. I

Ist seems your are using clearsigned signature which is a legacy method
back from the BBS times. It still has its use cases but those are
pretty limited. A better way for a realvily new protocol is to use a
detached signature - either in the MIME format (if MIME is already used
by Mastodon) or by using a cusom format like Git does it. You save a
lot of extra octets and avoid many pitfalls in clearsigned texts.

But yes, this requires some kind of support in Mastodon.

> So, for example, maybe something like:
>
> --BPSM--
> H: SHA512

Mastodon clients may post- and pre- process such message before they are fed to
gpg. But I would not suggest this.

Salam-Shalom,

Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service. - A. Einstein