Mailing List Archive

Re: GnuPG, error compiling

Werner Koch wrote:,

> There is some problem with the underscore detection. Try to change
> undef WITH_SYMBOL_UNDERSCORE in config.h by hand.
>
> > And, yes: gnupg-0.9.5.tar.gz
>
> Ooops, I think I fixed it in 0.9.6 - Can you pleas etry this version.

1)
I have the same problem, but under FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE
with both 0.9.5 and in 0.9.6.

It compiles and runs with:
configure --disable-asm --disable-dynload

2)
I can use my old keys, but I can't build a new key.
gpg complains there are 20 random bytes missing,
but I have no hint why, /dev/random works.

3)
I added the contrib code for rsa and idea.
To test possible compatibility.
Signature works fine an i need it :)

The only problem I found is when I encrypt a message
to a pgp2 user, pgp2 can't decode it.

Pretty Good Privacy(tm) 2.6.3ia - Public-key encryption for the masses.
(c) 1990-96 Philip Zimmermann, Phil's Pretty Good Software. 1996-03-04
International version - not for use in the USA. Does not use RSAREF.
Current time: 1999/05/09 13:53 GMT

File is encrypted. Secret key is required to read it.
Key for user ID: Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@guug.de>
1024-bit key, key ID 331CDA5D, created 1995/06/04
Also known as: Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org>

You need a pass phrase to unlock your RSA secret key.
Enter pass phrase: Pass phrase is good. Just a moment....
Unsupported packet format - you need a newer version of PGP for this file.

Gruß Dirk

- -- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Tel 05606/6512 Q (voice)
- -- Origin: DINOEX Habichtswald -FRG- [dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org]
Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]
[. I feel so free to redirect it to the ML, just in case someone else
has these problems - hope this is okay ]

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]
Dirk wrote:
<<The only problem I found is when I encrypt a message
to a pgp2 user, pgp2 can't decode it.>>

I believe that that's the way its going to be. pgp2
has an incompatible package that gpg will read but not
write, and AFAIK it'll stay that way if/until someone
writes an add-on patch, due to pgp2's proprietaryness.

Nate
Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]
Nathan Kennedy wrote:,

> <<The only problem I found is when I encrypt a message
> to a pgp2 user, pgp2 can't decode it.>>
>
> I believe that that's the way its going to be. pgp2
> has an incompatible package that gpg will read but not
> write, and AFAIK it'll stay that way if/until someone
> writes an add-on patch, due to pgp2's proprietaryness.

sure, but this should be mentioned in the documentation.
as the other flaws with PGP 5 too.

IN the documentation, i read only that gnupg uses
PGP2.x headers.

kind regards Dirk

-- Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
-- Tel. +49-5606-6512
Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]
Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org> writes:

> It compiles and runs with:
> configure --disable-asm --disable-dynload

Please have a look at the GNUPG_SYS_SYMBOL_UNDERSCORE macro in
acinclude.me and try to fix it. GNOME should have a working one
(AM_..). The one which comes with libtools seemed to be broken, so I
use of copy of it and did one "fix".

> gpg complains there are 20 random bytes missing,
> but I have no hint why, /dev/random works.

Keep hitting on your keyboard.

> Enter pass phrase: Pass phrase is good. Just a moment....
> Unsupported packet format - you need a newer version of PGP for this file.

It won't work if you have a signed and encryoted message. This is due
to the ugly message format of pgp which puts the signature in front of
the signed material. It not easy to work arounf this and I don't like
to use temporary files or other complicated schemes to solve this just
for PGP 2 (Remi once did a pacth but I decided that it is far too
complicated).

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]
Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org> writes:

> IN the documentation, i read only that gnupg uses
> PGP2.x headers.

Where? If it is really the case you found a bug.

I should only refer to RFC 2440.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013
Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]

--
Rat <ratinox@peorth.gweep.net> \ If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, get
Minion of Nathan - Nathan says Hi! \ away immediately. Seek shelter and cover
Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:,

> > IN the documentation, i read only that gnupg uses
> > PGP2.x headers.
>
> Where? If it is really the case you found a bug.

DETAILS:GNUPG uses PGP 2 packet headers and also \
understands OpenPGP packet header.

Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:,

> > gpg complains there are 20 random bytes missing,
> > but I have no hint why, /dev/random works.
>
> Keep hitting on your keyboard.

nope, I hit it for 15 minutes, nothing happens after this message.
And it is every time 20 Bytes, regradless what I do.

> It won't work if you have a signed and encryoted message. This is due
> to the ugly message format of pgp which puts the signature in front of
> the signed material. It not easy to work arounf this and I don't like
> to use temporary files or other complicated schemes to solve this just
> for PGP 2

I remember reading this problem somewhere.
(or you told it at the ffg99).
But my test was encrypt only.
Please notice that even if you add "idea"
you will be not able to crpyt to users of old "pgp2".

Just make a hint somewhere, cause if someone try,
he did not see the fault in the created message.

I don't need a fix for this,
just name it for documentation

I would like to switch to the
new keys as soon as possible.
All I needed is in the current release (with contrib).

Re: GnuPG, error compiling [ In reply to ]
Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org> writes:

> nope, I hit it for 15 minutes, nothing happens after this message.
> And it is every time 20 Bytes, regradless what I do.

Sorry, I don't know what happens there. strace is your friend.

> Please notice that even if you add "idea"
> you will be not able to crpyt to users of old "pgp2".

You are (just tested). But cou cant pipe the data to gpg becuase this
will create partial length packet which pgp2 can't handle.

gpg --rfc1991 --cipher-algo whatever-algo-you-want plaintex

should work. If you have a --encrypt-to in your options you may also
want to use --no-encrypt-to, so that there is no ELG paket in the
message.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de www.gnupg.org keyid 621CC013