Mailing List Archive

gpg logo, static URLs, demo keypair
Is there a gnupg logo?

Are there static URLs for quickie downloads of the latest releases on both
Unix and Windoze? <HOPEFULLY> Will there be once 1.0 is released?
</HOPEFULLY>

Is there a canonical "Demo" public/private keypair that I should use to
demo gpg where the private key is not private at all and has the passphrase
in plaintext somehow...? Yet obviously labeled as "Demo" private key?...
I want to build some pages to demo gpg where the user types in a message,
encrypts it and then either:
has the server decrypt it (not much of a demo, since we could be "cheating")
downloads gpg and the server's keyring to decrypt the message on their own box
It's just a silly kick-the-tires sort of thing that I think would appeal to
the uninitiated/ignoramuses such as myself. :-)

Apologies if I'm asking stuff that's in the docs or an e-mail archive, but
I couldn't find the answers to this. I did find the kinder, gentler URL of
www.gnupg.org on my own though :-)

I want to have a gpg logo on my explanation page of the security
methodology employed by my site, and then the kick-the-tires demo of it:

For those who have forgotten my "scheme":

1. Use a Virtual Server to process an order with an suExec'ed cgi.
[I'm using PHP, but it doesn't matter much.]

2. Have the cgi shell-execute gpg with the order info to self-encrypt the
order, including credit info.

3. E-Mail the resulting encrypted (ascii armored) message to a human.

4. The human runs gpg on a non-networked machine with the decrypting key in
his keyring that matches the encrypting key on the server and then
processes the plain-text invoice through existing store-front credit card
terminal.
[I hope that sentence makes sense...]

Most ISPs these days include a Virtual Server in their hosting package
price: They suck you dry with expecting you to pay them to design the
pages, interface with CyberCa$h, setup fees on the credit card processing,
and then automagically run your orders through their credit card processor
for a rather large percentage of the sales. [.EG 10% of sales, of which at
most 4% goes to Visa/MC, so they get 6% for doing very, very little work.]

But with this scheme, one only needs to find a Secure Server at a
reasonable rate, and have an existing store-front credit charge terminal.
I believe a great many businesses would fit this description.

My ToDo list for this project now includes:

Download/Install/Test latest gpg.

Write security.htm to:
A Make inexperienced users feel good about how secure this is.
B Inform experienced users about how it works and how cool gpg is.

Generate new keys, with the decrypting key not even *on* the server.
Last time I tried this (0.4.2?), it was required that I have a full keypair
for the sender of the message, which I shouldn't really need, and I got
real frustrated, so I just have 1 test pair with both encrypt/decrypt keys
on both server and non-networked machine. I want to completely eliminate
the decryption key from the server keyring, if I can. If that requires a
bogus, totally unused keypair for the sender to be able to send a message
encrypted with the recipient's public key, so be it. But why do I need
that bogus keypair...?

Write example pages to show off gpg and how easy and cool this idea is,
without breaking my arm patting myself on the back. :-)

When completed, the kick-the-tires demo will be announced here and will
have links to source code, so you needn't, please :-) ask me in the
meantime to send it to you. Only the "real" code exists so far, and that's
got a whole mess of crap in it that you don't want to wade through. [A
large order form.]

Note that there won't be a whole lot of code, really. I imagine most of
you could manage to write a cgi that executes gpg and snags the results
into an e-mail far faster than I was able to do so. :-) Oh well.

*MUCH* thanks to everybody for their help with this project, and apologies
that my day job ground it to a halt for so damn long.

Wow, how did this post get so long? :-?

-- "TANSTAAFL" Rich lynch@cognitivearts.com webmaster@ and www. all of:
R&B/jazz/blues/rock - jademaze.com music industry org - chatmusic.com
acoustic/funk/world-beat - astrakelly.com sculptures - olivierledoux.com
my own nascent company - l-i-e.com cool coffeehouse - uncommonground.com
Re: gpg logo, static URLs, demo keypair [ In reply to ]
Richard Lynch <lynch@cognitivearts.com> writes:

> Is there a gnupg logo?

Anyone?

www.gnupg.org and ftp.gnupg.org

> Is there a canonical "Demo" public/private keypair that I should use to
> demo gpg where the private key is not private at all and has the passphrase

I'll create such a key pair and distribute it with GnuPG.

Werner
Re: gpg logo, static URLs, demo keypair [ In reply to ]
At 11:30 AM 2/4/99, Werner Koch wrote:
>Richard Lynch <lynch@cognitivearts.com> writes:
>> Are there static URLs for quickie downloads of the latest releases on both
>> Unix and Windoze? <HOPEFULLY> Will there be once 1.0 is released?
>> </HOPEFULLY>
>
>www.gnupg.org and ftp.gnupg.org

I will link to www.gnupg.org, but I was also hoping to link directly to a
"latest download"...

>> Is there a canonical "Demo" public/private keypair that I should use to
>> demo gpg where the private key is not private at all and has the passphrase
>
>I'll create such a key pair and distribute it with GnuPG.

Excellent!!! I probably would have screwed it up anyway :-)

Re: gpg logo, static URLs, demo keypair [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 11:30:17AM +0100, Werner Koch wrote:
> > Is there a canonical "Demo" public/private keypair that I should use to
> > demo gpg where the private key is not private at all and has the passphrase
>
> I'll create such a key pair and distribute it with GnuPG.

Wouldn't that cause a problem? This is intended for uninitiated users.
What happens when those users then try to generate their own keys? The
default action is for GPG to assume the first key on the private keyring
is the user's primary key, is it not? If the private keyring already has
a demo key on it, then wouldn't GPG use that key by default? An
uninitiated user might not detect this, and we'd have all sorts of
people trying to use the default demo key as their own.
--
David Hayes
david@hayes-family.org
Re: gpg logo, static URLs, demo keypair [ In reply to ]
David Hayes <david@hayes-family.org> writes:

> is the user's primary key, is it not? If the private keyring already has
> a demo key on it, then wouldn't GPG use that key by default? An
> uninitiated user might not detect this, and we'd have all sorts of
> people trying to use the default demo key as their own.

The demo keys are going into checks/{pub,sec}secring.gpg of course.
Re: gpg logo, static URLs, demo keypair [ In reply to ]
Werner Koch wrote:

> Richard Lynch <lynch@cognitivearts.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a gnupg logo?
>
> Anyone?

Maybe we should ask the Gimp people for one, to add it to the contest
page. That seems to have worked well for other free software projects.

Nate
Re: gpg logo, static URLs, demo keypair [ In reply to ]
At 11:30 AM 2/4/99, Werner Koch wrote:
>Richard Lynch <lynch@cognitivearts.com> writes:
>
>> Is there a gnupg logo?
>
>Anyone?

Okay, I can't draw for s#%@, but have a decent idea. I'll try to describe
it, and maybe somebody can realize it:

The three letters, lowercase, gpg.
Raise the p up, and extend the 'tails' of all three letters.
Then, somehow, make it look like an old-fashioned key.
You know, the kind with a three-circle top, a barrel/tube body, and a three
pronged-end like you find in really old houses...

I'll try to create it, I guess, unless somebody else can actually take what
I say above and make sense of it...