Sorry for the potentially stupid question: But are there *GPG*-Keyservers
around?

David
Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 05:24:48PM +0100, David Frey wrote:

>Sorry for the potentially stupid question: But are there *GPG*-Keyservers
>around?

Indeed, is GPG sufficiently compliant to be acceptable to PGP-5
key-servers yet?

For that matter, any key-swap parties coming up in or near London/UK?

Roger
Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]

Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 05:24:48PM +0100, David Frey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the potentially stupid question: But are there *GPG*-Keyservers
> around?

Well, you can snarf GPG keys from the PGP servers and they are content
to accept GPG keys. If you want to set up a keyserver, though, and
use GPG instead of PGP, it shouldn't be too difficult to convert the
existing ones.

--
Brian Moore | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker | a cockroach, except that the cockroach
Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]
David Frey <david@eos.lugs.ch> writes:

> Sorry for the potentially stupid question: But are there *GPG*-Keyservers
> around?

You should be able to use any of the keyservers which accept PGP 5
keys. But use the --export command of gpg as this makes sure that
only OpenPGP conforming stuff gets exported.

wwwkeys.{eu,us}.net.pgp

Next release will have some integrated support for these HKP servers.

Werner
Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Werner Koch:

> You should be able to use any of the keyservers which accept PGP 5
> keys. But use the --export command of gpg as this makes sure that
> only OpenPGP conforming stuff gets exported.

... I just looked at the code -- this looks like it exports only RSA keys.
That seems not to be too useful...??? or did I miss something?

NB, re extensions -- PGP for Windows supports attaching a picture to a
signature, AFAIK. Any idea how that is done? I'd like gpg support for it.

NB2, the status-fd code reports RSA_OR_IDEA even if somebody has hacked
support for these into gpg. Is that intentional?

> wwwkeys.{eu,us}.net.pgp

??? That doesn't even remotely resemble a domain name or an URL...

> Next release will have some integrated support for these HKP servers.

Great!

--
Matthias Urlichs | noris network GmbH | smurf@noris.de | ICQ: 20193661
Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 10:00:29PM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Werner Koch:
> >
> > You should be able to use any of the keyservers which accept PGP 5
> > keys. But use the --export command of gpg as this makes sure that
> > only OpenPGP conforming stuff gets exported.
> >
> ... I just looked at the code -- this looks like it exports only RSA keys.
> That seems not to be too useful...??? or did I miss something?

Some times ago I've hacked a pgp keyserver to use gpg. (basically, it's a
perl wrapper around gpg). It works fine, but I've no time to put it
on-line. If someone is interested I can send him the code, but the author
must be contacted to have the permission to use it.

--
Fabio Coatti http://felix.unife.it/~cova
Ferrara Linux Users Group http://flug.unife.it
Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 05:01:17PM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 05:24:48PM +0100, David Frey wrote:
>
> >Sorry for the potentially stupid question: But are there *GPG*-Keyservers
> >around?
>
> Indeed, is GPG sufficiently compliant to be acceptable to PGP-5
> key-servers yet?

Yep. It's even compliant enough to fool the Internic into thinking I
have PGP. :)

Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]
Roger Burton West <roger@firedrake.org> writes:

> Indeed, is GPG sufficiently compliant to be acceptable to PGP-5
> key-servers yet?

Yes the only problem are some old encryption keys which use the
(legal) algorithm identifier 20 for subkeys which are capable of
encryption and signing. The HKP does not yet know about it, nor does
pgp 5, 6. The keys are actually only different in their indentifiers
and the other implementations should at least be able to use them
as encryption keys. Fixing that is trivial.

I don't know from where to get the current version of the keyservers;
I only found 0.9.2 but the servers tell you 0.9.3-something.

Werner
Re: GPG-Keyserver? [ In reply to ]
Matthias Urlichs <smurf@noris.net> writes:

> ... I just looked at the code -- this looks like it exports only RSA keys.
> That seems not to be too useful...??? or did I miss something?

Yes I missed to comment it better.

> NB, re extensions -- PGP for Windows supports attaching a picture to a
> signature, AFAIK. Any idea how that is done? I'd like gpg support for it.

This is a new feature of PGP which is not defined in rfc2440 and
therefore I'm not going to support it. A picture does not result
in a more trusted key and it makes keys really huge. Its is better to
compare the passport picture. There is already a Faces database
available. Signing a checksum of that picture does make more sense
than to put the picture into the keyring.

I know that a program which displays pictures sells better than one
that only displays names.

> NB2, the status-fd code reports RSA_OR_IDEA even if somebody has hacked
> support for these into gpg. Is that intentional?

Yes. But you can ignore it if you know that RSA is available and you
can do a runtime check by looking at the output of gpg --version

> > wwwkeys.{eu,us}.net.pgp
> >
> ??? That doesn't even remotely resemble a domain name or an URL...

Try: $ echo wwwkeys.{eu,us}.pgp.net

werner