Mailing List Archive

Struggling with GPG
Further to my previous post ...

I have discovered that I can create a key with v3 packets on Linux (option 5)
and read the keyrings on Windows 0.2.10 but any file I encrypt on Linux is
'unknown cipher' on the Windows version. I've played with the cipher-algo
switches but without success. I'd be grateful of any answers.

Its a long shot, but my other problem that someone here just might know about is
that I am trying to run GPG 0.4.0 on Linux from PHP scripting. PHP has various
commands to shell out and run a command line utility. System() does this,
returns the utlity's output to the web page. I have this going well with PGP but
not with GPG

I can do this no problem:

System("/web04/mypath/gpg/bin/gpg -help")

and see the help on my web page.

But as soon as I get GPG to do anything useful then nothing works. Such as this:

System("/web04/mypath/gpg/bin/gpg --homedir /web04/mypath/.gnupg --list-keys")

I can read the return status of GPG and it is 512 dec. I've been searching
through the GPG source to see if I can find any meaning in that but with no
luck.

After fiddling with this for many hours, I'm off for a bike ride on the spring
sunshine :-)

Regards
Ross
Re: Struggling with GPG [ In reply to ]
Greetings..

One of the main problems that you (Ross) have right now is the fact that the
Windows version is 0.2.1, while the Linux version is 0.4.0. If you look back
in the change logs, you'll find that there have been some pretty significant
changes that pretty much dash any compatibility. :(

The good news is that the only thing really missing for a Windows port is a
solid RNG (random-number generator), and I believe that Peter Gutmann has
given us permission to use one he wrote for another crypto library (somebody
correct me if I'm wrong...)

Werner, I'm not quite sure how you guys work the development model. Should I
just begin integration of the Peter's RNG and then provide the diffs of the
files I modify? I guess I should also double-check that it's all right to
use the code from Cryptolib... :)

D.
Re: Struggling with GPG [ In reply to ]
Dave Smith <dave@raystewart.com> writes:

> Werner, I'm not quite sure how you guys work the development model. Should I
> just begin integration of the Peter's RNG and then provide the diffs of the
> files I modify? I guess I should also double-check that it's all right to
> use the code from Cryptolib... :)

We can't put the code into the distrinution without a disclaimer, so
we should create an extra package with this stuff and modifiy GNUPG's
configure to check whether such package is installed. I guess it is
easier to make an extra package instead of a diff file (or a diff
which only adds new files).

The FSF wants to keep the standard distribution clean, but it is okay
to use other free (in the sense of the GPL) code if you like.

I can add the required hooks to the random functions if you or someone
else can take Peter's code and add some wrappers around the data
collectors, so they can fit into GNUPG

Werner
Re: Struggling with GPG [ In reply to ]
wk@isil.d.shuttle.de (Werner Koch) writes:
> The FSF wants to keep the standard distribution clean, but it is okay
> to use other free (in the sense of the GPL) code if you like.
>
> I can add the required hooks to the random functions if you or someone
> else can take Peter's code and add some wrappers around the data
> collectors, so they can fit into GNUPG

Maybe a --load-extension cryptlib-rng ?

-Brian
Re: Struggling with GPG [ In reply to ]
Brian Warner <warner@lothar.com> writes:

> Maybe a --load-extension cryptlib-rng ?

Good idea; I only need to add an interface for this and use dld in
cases where we do not have ELF.

Werner