(I've made rtfm but I'm courious about personal imprints)

Best,
Sub

Re: EPIA and Gentoo [ In reply to ]

> is there anybody, who put Gentoo on a 800MHz Epia machine?

I've got it running on a 1GHz ce board.

> I would like to know something about installation times :)

It takes awhile. But I gave it some help by pointing it to a 4P PIII server
running distcc and Gentoo.

> Some tipz and trickz are welcome, and short hints that help me to avoid problems as well.

Uh...I used the 2004.2 live cd, stage 1 install, booted smp kernel. No specific
tricks for this variation -

exxon root # lhinv
CPU: CentaurHauls VIA Nehemiah
1 1002 MHz i686 Processor
Secondary cache: 64 KB
FPU: CentaurHauls VIA Nehemiah Floating Point
Main memory size: 448 Mbytes

Make sure to select the correct cpu when configing the
kernel --> Processor type and features option.

For USE flags - cle266, is specific to the VIA cpu.

For xorg.conf, this is the device def -

Section "Device"
Identifier "VIA Castlerock"
Driver "vesa"

I use lightwieight desktops like fluxbox, openbox or even enlightnement.

Bob

Re: Re: EPIA and Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I have a 800MHz Epia. I made a home-server for own use (bittorrent
machine and file server, some application also run on this machine,
which are important to be stable, unlike my frequently changed desktop
machine :)

I use a vncserver on it. Xorg, fluxbox. apache, postgresql, egroupware,
sql-ledger and so on.

I had a bad experience with distcc, I think it was a user error.

I like it very much (I dropped away the cpu cooler :)

epia / # hddtemp /dev/hda
/dev/hda: SAMSUNG SP1604N: 25 C
epia / #

So, it getting to be OT, I stop now.

Bye, István

Re: Re: EPIA and Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Yeah, me too! :)

Thank you all! Let's see.

The 2004.2 minimal cd didn't want to boot (surprise! other distros can) but I will try the universal after I d/led it.

Best,
Sub

Re: Re: EPIA and Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Subiaco wrote:

>Yeah, me too! :)
>
>Thank you all! Let's see.
>
>The 2004.2 minimal cd didn't want to boot (surprise! other distros can) but I will try the universal after I d/led it.
>
>Best,
>Sub

I used the universal (maybe 2004.2) and stage3-x86.
After that emerge sync; emerge -upv system.

I use the ck-sources for kernel, seems to be stable. I changed my config
to based nptl and 2.6.x, but I don't remember exactly, what I did. (I
booted with smp kernel (acpi off or similar), I unmerged kernel headers
(2.4.21), after that I emerged linux26-headers. there was a thread about
it here).

I think, for home use, a base install image should be fine, but I
haven't got web place to put ~500MB.
for set-top box there is a freevo, but for m9000 - m10000.

Can you use your tv-out with xorg?

Cheers, István

Re: Re: EPIA and Gentoo [ In reply to ]
On Fri, October 29, 2004 3:03 pm, Subiaco said:
> Yeah, me too! :)
>
> Thank you all! Let's see.
>
> The 2004.2 minimal cd didn't want to boot (surprise! other distros can)
> but I will try the universal after I d/led it.
>
> Best,
> Sub
>
> Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:07:18 +0200-n "Gentoo.Macs" <gentoo.macs@freemail.hu>
> írta:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 800MHz Epia. I made a home-server for own use (bittorrent
>> machine and file server, some application also run on this machine,
>> which are important to be stable, unlike my frequently changed desktop
>> machine :)
>>
>> I use a vncserver on it. Xorg, fluxbox. apache, postgresql, egroupware,
>> sql-ledger and so on.
>>
>> I had a bad experience with distcc, I think it was a user error.
>>
>> I like it very much (I dropped away the cpu cooler :)
>>
>> epia / # hddtemp /dev/hda
>> /dev/hda: SAMSUNG SP1604N: 25 C
>> epia / #
>>
>> So, it getting to be OT, I stop now.
>>
>> Bye, István
>>
>> --

don't for get to do a checksum on the universal.

--
Chris Godwin
http://www.artimador.com

Re: Re: EPIA and Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:24:41 +0200-n "Gentoo.Macs" <gentoo.macs@freemail.hu> írta:

> Subiaco wrote:
>
> >Yeah, me too! :)
> >
> >Thank you all! Let's see.
> >
> >The 2004.2 minimal cd didn't want to boot (surprise! other distros can) but I will try the universal after I d/led it.
> >
> >Best,
> >Sub
> >

> I used the universal (maybe 2004.2) and stage3-x86.
> After that emerge sync; emerge -upv system.
>
> I use the ck-sources for kernel, seems to be stable. I changed my config
> to based nptl and 2.6.x, but I don't remember exactly, what I did. (I
> booted with smp kernel (acpi off or similar), I unmerged kernel headers
> (2.4.21), after that I emerged linux26-headers. there was a thread about
> it here).
>
> I think, for home use, a base install image should be fine, but I
> haven't got web place to put ~500MB.
> for set-top box there is a freevo, but for m9000 - m10000.
>
> Can you use your tv-out with xorg?
>
> Cheers, István

I would like to use the tv-out

Is there any trick I should prepare?

Best,
Sub

Re: Re: EPIA and Gentoo [ In reply to ]
Subiaco wrote:

>Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:24:41 +0200-n "Gentoo.Macs" <gentoo.macs@freemail.hu> írta:
>

>>Subiaco wrote:
>>

>>>Yeah, me too! :)
>>>
>>>Thank you all! Let's see.
>>>
>>>The 2004.2 minimal cd didn't want to boot (surprise! other distros can) but I will try the universal after I d/led it.
>>>
>>>Best,
>>>Sub
>>>

>>I used the universal (maybe 2004.2) and stage3-x86.
>>After that emerge sync; emerge -upv system.
>>
>>I use the ck-sources for kernel, seems to be stable. I changed my config
>>to based nptl and 2.6.x, but I don't remember exactly, what I did. (I
>>booted with smp kernel (acpi off or similar), I unmerged kernel headers
>>(2.4.21), after that I emerged linux26-headers. there was a thread about
>>it here).
>>
>>I think, for home use, a base install image should be fine, but I
>>haven't got web place to put ~500MB.
>>for set-top box there is a freevo, but for m9000 - m10000.
>>
>>Can you use your tv-out with xorg?
>>
>>Cheers, István
>>

>>--
>>

>I would like to use the tv-out
>
>Is there any trick I should prepare?
>
>Best,
>Sub
>

>--

driver from viaforum with xfree. :-(
this is why I not use it as set top box. with mdk8.2 or other distrib
you can hack the xfree with the patch.

I will check it at this weekend, maybe xorg made some magic.

Bye,
István

(Too late, I must sleep a little)