Mailing List Archive

How do I find which module livecd is using for my scsi card!
Hello,

Could someone please tell me how I would find out what module I need to
load to get my SCSI card working. I can boot using the livecd and
choosing options

Gentoo doscsi noraid

If I do a lsmod I see the following results

livecd x86 # lsmod
Module Size Used by Not tainted
eepro100 17460 0 (unused)
mii 2112 0 [eepro100]
dpt_i2o 22560 0
3c59x 23152 1
serial 48676 0 (autoclean)
sbp2 15284 0 (unused)
usb-storage 60800 0 (unused)
hid 19652 0 (unused)
uhci 21916 0 (unused)
usbcore 53676 1 [usb-storage hid uhci]

From that I would say the module is dpt_i2o. My SCSI card is actually an
Adaptec S2000. I have installed Gentoo, compiled the kernel and included
"Adaptec I2O RAID support" which is module dpt_i2o.

When my installation reboots it fails on boot with a kernel panic and a
error saying "Please append correct root="

My grub conf looks like this

-----------
default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.9
root (hd0,1)
kernel /kernel-2.6.9-scsi root=/dev/sda3
-----------

My fstab looks like this
---snip----
/dev/sda2 /boot reiserfs noauto,noatime,notail 1
1
/dev/sda3 / reiserfs noatime 0
0
/dev/sdb1 /data reiserfs noatime 0
0
/dev/sda1 none swap sw 0
0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0
0
-----------

On boot with my kernel I see it find my Raid controller, it just doesn't
appear to detect any SCSI devices.

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe I'm loading something else that is
conflicting or maybe I just have the wrong settings!!

Thanks

Gareth

Re: How do I find which module livecd is using for my scsi card! [ In reply to ]
Gareth Hastings wrote:
> On boot with my kernel I see it find my Raid controller, it just doesn't
> appear to detect any SCSI devices.

Do you have SCSI disk support in your kernelconfig?

please post the ouput of:

# grep SCSI /usr/src/linux/.config

Christoph
--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" org@fr33z3

RE: How do I find which module livecd is using for my scsi card! [ In reply to ]
Yes I'm pretty sure I do. Here is the output

# grep SCSI /usr/src/linux/.config

# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI is not set
# SCSI device support
CONFIG_SCSI=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PROC_FS=y
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_LOGGING is not set
# SCSI Transport Attributes
CONFIG_SCSI_SPI_ATTRS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_FC_ATTRS=y
# SCSI low-level drivers
# CONFIG_SCSI_3W_9XXX is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_ACARD is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1542 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AACRAID is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX_OLD is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_AIC79XX is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_DPT_I2O=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_IN2000 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SATA is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DMX3191D is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DTC3280 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_PIO is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_FUTURE_DOMAIN is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_GDTH is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_GENERIC_NCR5380 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_GENERIC_NCR5380_MMIO is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_IPS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_INIA100 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PPA is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_IMM is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C406A is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_IPR is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PAS16 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_PSI240I is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FAS is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_ISP is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_FC is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC_1280 is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2XXX=y
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLA21XX is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLA22XX is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2300 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2322 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLA6312 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_QLA6322 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C416 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DC395x is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DC390T is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_T128 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_U14_34F is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_ULTRASTOR is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_NSP32 is not set
# CONFIG_SCSI_DEBUG is not set
# Old CD-ROM drivers (not SCSI, not IDE)
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set
# CONFIG_USB_HPUSBSCSI is not set

Re: How do I find which module livecd is using for my scsi card! [ In reply to ]
Gareth Hastings wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Could someone please tell me how I would find out what module I need to
> load to get my SCSI card working. I can boot using the livecd and
> choosing options
>
> Gentoo doscsi noraid
>
> If I do a lsmod I see the following results
>
> livecd x86 # lsmod
> Module Size Used by Not tainted
> eepro100 17460 0 (unused)
> mii 2112 0 [eepro100]
> dpt_i2o 22560 0
> 3c59x 23152 1
> serial 48676 0 (autoclean)
> sbp2 15284 0 (unused)
> usb-storage 60800 0 (unused)
> hid 19652 0 (unused)
> uhci 21916 0 (unused)
> usbcore 53676 1 [usb-storage hid uhci]
>

>>From that I would say the module is dpt_i2o. My SCSI card is actually an
> Adaptec S2000. I have installed Gentoo, compiled the kernel and included
> "Adaptec I2O RAID support" which is module dpt_i2o.
>
> When my installation reboots it fails on boot with a kernel panic and a
> error saying "Please append correct root="
>
> My grub conf looks like this
>
> -----------
> default 0
> timeout 10
> splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>
> title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.9
> root (hd0,1)
> kernel /kernel-2.6.9-scsi root=/dev/sda3
> -----------
>

> My fstab looks like this
> ---snip----
> /dev/sda2 /boot reiserfs noauto,noatime,notail 1
> 1
> /dev/sda3 / reiserfs noatime 0
> 0
> /dev/sdb1 /data reiserfs noatime 0
> 0
> /dev/sda1 none swap sw 0
> 0
> /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0
> 0
> -----------
>
> On boot with my kernel I see it find my Raid controller, it just doesn't
> appear to detect any SCSI devices.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe I'm loading something else that is
> conflicting or maybe I just have the wrong settings!!
>
> Thanks
>
> Gareth

If you have booted the liveCD using noraid, then your module is not
listed (the point of noraid is to *not* scan for raid devices or not use
them if found, afaik, so presumably the raid-related modules are not
loaded).

Secondarily, I see you added *support* for the card, but you may not
have added the card itself. "Support" usually means that the hardware
has some special way of doing its function that the 'support' option
allows the kernel to recognize, but often that is additional to the
hardware module, rather than a replacement for it. Think of it like
putting on night-vision goggles (support for seeing in the dark). This
is not much use if you don't add 'darkness' in the first place.

I take it you have compiled scsi drive support and RAID support into the
kernel?

Thirdly, the driver you are using may not be the correct one. I am
looking at it in my kernel (make menuconfig), and here is the description:

CONFIG_SCSI_DPT_I2O:

This driver supports all of Adaptec's I2O based RAID controllers as

well as the DPT SmartRaid V cards. This is an Adaptec maintained

driver by Deanna Bonds. See <file:Documentation/scsi/dpti.txt>.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the

module will be called dpt_i2o.

This does not necessarily sound as if it covers the S2000. And in fact,
it does not seem to, as checking the Adaptec site gets me this info for
the *2000S* (not the S2000, which appears to be a digital music sampler
model by Akai):

* Available PCI slot supporting Adaptec Embedded RAID Logic (EMRL)
or Intel RAIDIOS logic and Adaptec Ultra160 SCSI chip

Package Contains

* Adaptec SCSI RAID 2000S

So what we're looking for is support for the Adaptec Ultra160 chipset,
which is provided by this driver:

CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX:

This driver supports all of Adaptec's Fast through Ultra 160 PCI

based SCSI controllers as well as the aic7770 based EISA and VLB

SCSI controllers (the 274x and 284x series). For AAA and ARO based

configurations, only SCSI functionality is provided.

To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the

module will be called aic7xxx.

What I would suggest is booting from the live CD and 1) checking your
kernel to make sure that all required components are compiled and how
they are compiled (recompiling your kernel if necessary); and 2) making
sure (via cfdisk) that your drives are in fact linked to sd* rather than
hd*; 3) making sure the relevant entries are added to
/etc/modules.d/kernel-2.6 (if compiled as modules).

Hope this helps.

Holly