wrong. I fix the time, but the next time I start it up, the time is
wrong again. I am sure it is not the UTC / Local time issue, where the
"hours" do not set correctly. (Gentoo is set to Eastern Local Time.)

At first, I thought it was the compiles or game play that was slowing
down my clock. (Which has happened on my Windows desktop before.) But
now, my clock seems to fast forward. Not only by hours, but minutes.

I have an NForce2 board, if that is any help.

Andrew

Re: clock jumping randomly [ In reply to ]
the bios hardware clock may just be crap. trying setting ntp-client to
run at startup

emerge ntp (if its not already)

set up /etc/ntp.conf

rc-update add ntp-client boot

Re: clock jumping randomly [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I installed ntpd and ntp-client too. I found after ntp-client in the
ntpd's init-script, and a suggestion on forums to add ntpd to default
run-level. The after keyword works only at one runlevel, so I added
ntp-client to default runlevel, other case the after keyword is useless.
Did I do a mistake? Can I have any trouble if my ntp-client and ntpd are
in default runlevel?
Generally, can anybody show me the point of boot and the point of
default runlevel in the boot-sequence?

TIA.
Cheers,
Tamas Sarga
--
A day is 24 hours long. Egy nap 24 órából áll.
A box of beer contains 24 bottles. Egy tálcán 24 üveg sör van.

Re: clock jumping randomly [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Francisco Ares wrote:

> I'm also having that jumping clock problem. It's happening since one of
> my recent emerge -uD world.

With the new baselayout, the clock settings were moved from /etc/rc.conf
to /etc/conf.d/clock.

Change CLOCK_SYSTOHC="no" to "yes" in /etc/conf.d/clock and it should be
OK again.

Cannot see why it defaults to "no"...

HTH

--
T.G.

Re: clock jumping randomly [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:49:19 -0300, Francisco Ares <frares@terra.com.br> wrote:
> I'm also having that jumping clock problem. It's happening since one of
> my recent emerge -uD world.
>
> As a workaround, I installed rdate (in the portage tree) and use
> time.nist.gov or 192.43.244.18 inside of /etc/conf.d/local.start
>
> But I really would like to know what is messing with my hardware clock.
>
> Can it be one of the timers I have enabled in my new kernel?

I've had this problem for 2-3 months now. I've found no solution other
than to run one of the network time solutions. However this is a
laptop and that doesn't work when I'm not near an ethernet cable.

We wrote two or three long threads on this maybe 6 weeks ago. It's
been a frustration for so long for me that I've pretty much given
up...

- Mark

Re: clock jumping randomly [ In reply to ]
Temporarily remove the battery status applet and apm daemon and see if
it stabilises. Some kde apps are also known to do this. Basicly some
apps access /proc/? in a way that means the cpu spends a variable amount
of time out of action, with the clock being the loser. If you really
must use those apps (I have a laptop and I also need battery status),
use ntp with loose parameters and panic 0 to enable it to track. Chrony
is sometimes better at this though.

However, for Dell's at least, this problem went away some time ago for
me.

BillK

Re: clock jumping randomly [ In reply to ]
I'm also having that jumping clock problem. It's happening since one of
my recent emerge -uD world.

As a workaround, I installed rdate (in the portage tree) and use
time.nist.gov or 192.43.244.18 inside of /etc/conf.d/local.start

But I really would like to know what is messing with my hardware clock.

Can it be one of the timers I have enabled in my new kernel?

Francisco

--
| .^. | Francisco J. A. Ares |