be an upgrade replacement for dig, but, I need guidance from the gentoo_masters
as to what is best, and where good ole dig has gone?

James

Re: DIG - DNS tools [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 28 October 2004 01:22 pm, James wrote:
> I cannot seem to find which ebuild package I use to install "dig" on my new
> gentoo portable. I did find a new package, called "host" that may indeed
> contain dig or
> be an upgrade replacement for dig, but, I need guidance from the
> gentoo_masters as to what is best, and where good ole dig has gone?

Um, this question was just asked yesterday.. emerge bind-tools..

Jeff
Re: DIG - DNS tools [ In reply to ]

Re: DIG - DNS tools [ In reply to ]
Dig is included in the net-dns/bind-tools package, as is host and nslookup.

-Dan

Re: DIG - DNS tools [ In reply to ]
Jeff Smelser <tradergt <at> smelser.org> writes:

> Um, this question was just asked yesterday.. emerge bind-tools..

Yes, well I do not have enough time to read all the postings....
I did try to discover what package had dig buried inside of it,
with no success. Maybe you could enlighten me as to what commands/syntax/search
I could have used to discover which package had dig buried in it?

Surely there is a listing or command-syntax I could have used to avoid
disturbing the list, with such a trivial detail? I'm still assimilating 'gentoo
tricks'.....

sincerely,
James

Re: Re: DIG - DNS tools [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 28 October 2004 03:37 pm, James wrote:
> Jeff Smelser <tradergt <at> smelser.org> writes:
> > Um, this question was just asked yesterday.. emerge bind-tools..
>
> Yes, well I do not have enough time to read all the postings....

google.com.. gentoo-user dig emerge... ;)

> I did try to discover what package had dig buried inside of it,
> with no success. Maybe you could enlighten me as to what
> commands/syntax/search I could have used to discover which package had dig
> buried in it?

Nope. Not really.. You might get lucky with a google search, but you cant know
whats in a package in all circumstances.

> Surely there is a listing or command-syntax I could have used to avoid
> disturbing the list, with such a trivial detail? I'm still assimilating
> 'gentoo tricks'.....

Not this time.. No trick, just have to be in the know..

Jeff
Re: Re: DIG - DNS tools [ In reply to ]
James wrote:
> Jeff Smelser <tradergt <at> smelser.org> writes:
>

>>Um, this question was just asked yesterday.. emerge bind-tools..
>

> Yes, well I do not have enough time to read all the postings....
> I did try to discover what package had dig buried inside of it,
> with no success. Maybe you could enlighten me as to what commands/syntax/search
> I could have used to discover which package had dig buried in it?
>
> Surely there is a listing or command-syntax I could have used to avoid
> disturbing the list, with such a trivial detail? I'm still assimilating 'gentoo
> tricks'.....

no trick; just prior knowledge that dig is usually part of Bind. Then:

emerge -s bind