to run emerge dig but nothing is found. How do I go about installing dig?

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
emerge -p bind-tools

~P

http://patrickcemerampbell.us

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
J. Patrick Campbell wrote:
> emerge -p bind-tools
>
> ~P
>
> On Wed, October 27, 2004 7:46 pm, Mike Noble said:
>
>>I am running Gentoo 2.6.9-r1 and there is no dig on my system, I tried
>>to run emerge dig but nothing is found. How do I go about installing dig?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Mike
>>

>>--

Thanks, Is there an easy way to tell what needs to be emerged, this is
a prime example.

Mike

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
http://packages.gentoo.org
use the search function

~P

http://patrickcampbell.us

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:57:21 -0400 (EDT)
"J. Patrick Campbell" <patrick@lowmips.com> wrote:

> http://packages.gentoo.org
> use the search function
>
> ~P

frankly the search function does NOT tell you which package to install
to get the dig binary. Searching on "dig" gets you heaps of packages
called *digest*, but not bind-tools (at least not on the first two pages!

most distros have this problem, the package names often have very little
to do with the name of the binaries therein, or the functionality of the
package, viz bind-tools not "dig", mozilla, not "web browser", evolution
not "mail client", xmms not "mp3 player" etc etc etc.

Most other distros of course get round this by installing the kitchen
sink, gentoo does not.

Other (binary) distros do have easy access to exactly which files will
be installed with a given package (e.g rpm -qpl), and you can easily
search that (eg rpm -qpl *.rpm|grep dig, rpmfind.net)

This is not feasible with gentoo as the files installed are not known
until the compilation is completed, and is dependent on USE.

Hence the endless questions "what package do i install to get foo?"

</rant> :-)

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:11:56 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> most distros have this problem, the package names often have very
> little to do with the name of the binaries therein, or the
> functionality of the package, viz bind-tools not "dig", mozilla, not
> "web browser", evolution not "mail client", xmms not "mp3 player" etc
> etc etc.

The functionality is handled by the categories. If you want a web
browser or mail client, look in the relevant section of the package
database to find a list of all available candidates.

You're right about the inability to find a package containing a
particular executable, and the issue with USE flags. How feasable would
it be to have a program or script that did something like

USE=* ebuild /path/to/ebuild install

and then generate a file listing from the temporary directory? Or would
some ebuilds barf on having all USE flags set?

--
Neil Bothwick

Q. How many mathematicians does it take to change a light bulb?
A. Only one - who gives it to six Californians, thereby reducing the
problem to an earlier joke.
Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 20:45, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:11:56 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
>
> > most distros have this problem, the package names often have very
> > little to do with the name of the binaries therein, or the
> > functionality of the package, viz bind-tools not "dig", mozilla, not
> > "web browser", evolution not "mail client", xmms not "mp3 player" etc
> > etc etc.
>
> The functionality is handled by the categories. If you want a web
> browser or mail client, look in the relevant section of the package
> database to find a list of all available candidates.

yes categories help, but with 130 odd of them...

also once you are in, eg, /usr/portage/net-dns there are 27 packages and
you need to dive into every dir and read the ebuild to get the
DESCRIPTION line.

> You're right about the inability to find a package containing a
> particular executable, and the issue with USE flags. How feasable would
> it be to have a program or script that did something like
>
> USE=* ebuild /path/to/ebuild install
>
> and then generate a file listing from the temporary directory? Or would
> some ebuilds barf on having all USE flags set?

possibly, but with the rate of change of portage, its such a moveable
feast.

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:32:18 +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 20:45, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > The functionality is handled by the categories. If you want a web
> > browser or mail client, look in the relevant section of the package
> > database to find a list of all available candidates.
>
> yes categories help, but with 130 odd of them...

If you had less categories, you'd have more in each and less of interest
on any particular search.

> also once you are in, eg, /usr/portage/net-dns there are 27 packages
> and you need to dive into every dir and read the ebuild to get the
> DESCRIPTION line.

I was referring to the online package database at
http://packages.gentoo.org/ where you can browse the contents of a
category

> > You're right about the inability to find a package containing a
> > particular executable, and the issue with USE flags. How feasable
> > would it be to have a program or script that did something like
> >
> > USE=* ebuild /path/to/ebuild install
> >
> > and then generate a file listing from the temporary directory? Or
> > would some ebuilds barf on having all USE flags set?
> >

> possibly, but with the rate of change of portage, its such a moveable
> feast.

I suppose what I'd like to see would be for this information to be
generated each time a new ebuild is created and automatically included
in some sort of database when portage is updated. Then you could have
something like Mandrake's urpmf command that quickly tells you which
packages, installed or not, contain a particular file. It would be a lot
of work to set up, but just one more compile run by the maintainer for
each new ebuild release to keep up to date.

--
Neil Bothwick

Top Oxymorons Number 7: Definite maybe
Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
Nick Rout wrote:
> also once you are in, eg, /usr/portage/net-dns there are 27 packages and
> you need to dive into every dir and read the ebuild to get the
> DESCRIPTION line.

I agree that this isn't a perfect way to search through packages. But
for your example, grep could help:

# grep -r DESCRIPTION /usr/portage/net-dns/*/*.ebuild

Christoph
--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" org@fr33z3

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:11:02 +0200, Christoph Gysin <cgysin@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Nick Rout wrote:
> > also once you are in, eg, /usr/portage/net-dns there are 27 packages and
> > you need to dive into every dir and read the ebuild to get the
> > DESCRIPTION line.
>
> I agree that this isn't a perfect way to search through packages. But
> for your example, grep could help:
>
> # grep -r DESCRIPTION /usr/portage/net-dns/*/*.ebuild

You could also try using esearch:

$ esearch -F PACKAGE_CATEGORY

Or, if you are already in the appropriate /usr/portage/CATAGORY
directory, then you could also try:

$ esearch `ls -1`

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
Matthew Cline wrote:
> Or, if you are already in the appropriate /usr/portage/CATAGORY
> directory, then you could also try:
>
> $ esearch `ls -1`

How about:

# esearch *

;-)

Christoph

--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" org@fr33z3

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
> How about:
>
> # esearch *
>
> ;-)

I don't believe in doing things the easy way. :>

Matt

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
Mike Noble wrote:
> I am running Gentoo 2.6.9-r1 and there is no dig on my system, I tried
> to run emerge dig but nothing is found. How do I go about installing dig?

Just in case you want qite better IMHO functionality than dig, try:
USE=doc emerge djbdns

then use dnsip, dnsq, dnsqr and so on (and `man command` or go to http://cr.yp.to/ )

I am a BIND convert myself, went to DJB software since I started using Gentoo 3 years ago.

Kalin.

--
( ) http://ThinRope.net/ ( )

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
Don't forget:

# emerge -S dig

(capital S) which will search the description field without having to grep through ebuilds. OK, it does rely on whether "dig" is in the description field but it is for bind-tools and hence useful in this case.

Re: Where is dig [ In reply to ]
and on that subject, esearch works nicely and very fast, much faster
than emerge -s or emerge -S. You have to run the relatively resource
consuming eupdatedb, but thats what cron and 5 am are for.