just want plain login functionality or do I _need_ pam like I _need_
bash

/djb

RE: emerge system error [ In reply to ]
Here's more of my error message

gcc: //usr/lib/libcrack.a No such file or directory
pam_cracklib.so error 1

sys-libs/pam-0.77 failed
function src_compile line 198 exitcode 2
pam build failed

So firstly why does emerge system want to install pam when I said "-pam"
in $USE? Secondly where is my missing libcrack.a file coming from? And
why is it missing, shouldn't portage know I need libcrack.a around
before trying to merge the unwanted pam?

If someone has _any_ idea I would appreciate any response or clue
however small. This is the second experience with Linux for one of my
bank customers and I'd like it to go smooth as they are a strict MS shop
at this time.

/djb