What is important is that the state of the mouse and menus of the
programs running does not change when I do the capture. I need a
picture of a menu that is failing in Wine.

Is there an app that can do this? Possibly part of X itself?

I can be the user of X when I log in via ssh, or I can be root on
the remote machine, in case that's an issue.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Screen capture from ssh login? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:19:28 -0700, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to capture the state of the screen on a remote machine that
> is running X apps. It's fine if the remote machine just writes the
> picture to a local file which I will copy over the ssh login.
>
> What is important is that the state of the mouse and menus of the
> programs running does not change when I do the capture. I need a
> picture of a menu that is failing in Wine.
>
> Is there an app that can do this? Possibly part of X itself?
>
> I can be the user of X when I log in via ssh, or I can be root on
> the remote machine, in case that's an issue.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I think xwd will let you do it (part of X I believe). I haven't used
it in a while so I don't remember the arguments, but just man xwd and
you should be able to figure it out. I don't remember what format
that spits the image out as (not a standard format I think) but you
can just run ImageMagick's convert on it to make it a jpg or whatever.

-Andy

Re: Screen capture from ssh login? [ In reply to ]
wrote:
| Hi,
| I need to capture the state of the screen on a remote machine that
| is running X apps. It's fine if the remote machine just writes the
| picture to a local file which I will copy over the ssh login.
|
| What is important is that the state of the mouse and menus of the
| programs running does not change when I do the capture. I need a
| picture of a menu that is failing in Wine.
|
| Is there an app that can do this? Possibly part of X itself?
|
| I can be the user of X when I log in via ssh, or I can be root on
| the remote machine, in case that's an issue.

DISPLAY=":0" your_favourite_screenshot_app_here

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Screen capture from ssh login? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:25:22 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:19:28 -0700 Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> DISPLAY=":0" your_favourite_screenshot_app_here

That will only work if the screenshot app doesn't take user input via
X. I've seen some that need you to hit a button to take the shot, and
some that ask you to click on the window to capture or select the area
to capture. But if all it does is capture the screen w/o any user
input then that should work. (Also, some apps, like xwd, have a
--display option).

-Andy

Re: Screen capture from ssh login? [ In reply to ]
> That will only work if the screenshot app doesn't take user input via
> X.
If you have ImageMagick installed on the remote box, you should be able to
do something like:

$ import -window root shot.png

> (Also, some apps, like xwd, have a --display option).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't all well-behaved X apps have hits
because of the way they parse the parameters?

Re: Screen capture from ssh login? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:02:57 -0500 (CDT) admin@ramshacklestudios.com
wrote:
| > That will only work if the screenshot app doesn't take user input
| > via X.

Uh huh.

| If you have ImageMagick installed on the remote box, you should be
| able to do something like:
|
| $ import -window root shot.png
|
| > (Also, some apps, like xwd, have a --display option).
| Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't all well-behaved X apps have
| hits because of the way they parse the parameters?

No. They should have a -display option. One dash, not two.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Screen capture from ssh login? [ In reply to ]
> | Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't all well-behaved X apps have
> | hits because of the way they parse the parameters?
>
> No. They should have a -display option. One dash, not two.

Aha. Thanks for clearing that up, Ciaran.

Re: Screen capture from ssh login? [ In reply to ]
Thanks all. In my case Ciaran's option worked, but for some reason it
only captured the green gun. I seem to get an images that's only green
and black. Strange.

admin@ramshacklestudios.com's solution worked perfectly. I captured
the strange menu that Wine is producing when my mouse is in a certain
position.

Thanks for your fast responses.

Cheers,
Mark