.
where do I go from here? This is really weird!

Mike
--
Michael W. Holdeman
Gentoo Linux 2004.0 www.gentoo.org
Linux 2.6.6-win4lin
Windows apps thanks to Win4Lin 5.1.16

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
On Monday October 25 2004 11:25, you wrote:
> Sounds like your /etc/fstab might have gotten fubarred. This happened to
> me once after I foolishly allowed etc-update to auto-merge everything.
> Chances are, if it is /etc/fstab, then it's just back to the default
> lines and you just need to edit the file (perhaps using Knoppix as a
> boot medium) and replace the dummy drive designators with your own
> drives.
fstab looks fine. the system actually looks as if it can't even find the drive
except for grub which finds teh kernel and boots it??

Mike

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
Sounds like your /etc/fstab might have gotten fubarred. This happened to
me once after I foolishly allowed etc-update to auto-merge everything.
Chances are, if it is /etc/fstab, then it's just back to the default
lines and you just need to edit the file (perhaps using Knoppix as a
boot medium) and replace the dummy drive designators with your own
drives.

Good Luck,
Dave

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
> fstab looks fine. the system actually looks as if it can't even find
> the drive
> except for grub which finds teh kernel and boots it??

'Fraid I can't help ya beyond this!

These kind of problems make me wish etc-update had a "restore point"
feature where you could back up your existing config files prior to
doing an update.

Personally, I always do the following before running etc-update:

bash #> tar -cvjf /root/etc-backup.tbz2 /etc

Of course, you have to have the disk space to do it, and if you break
something it must be restored manually. If this functionality were
built into etc-update (or perhaps rolled into a separate program,
etc-restore maybe?) then one could quickly and easily pop old configs
back in when something breaks.

Of course, I don't know how to formally make such a request, and as a
lowly user with little-to-no programing skills, I'd feel a bit sheepish
doing so!

At any rate, sorry I couldn't help you further!

Dave

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
On Monday October 25 2004 11:44, David Rea wrote:
> > fstab looks fine. the system actually looks as if it can't even find
> > the drive
> > except for grub which finds teh kernel and boots it??
>
> 'Fraid I can't help ya beyond this!
>
> These kind of problems make me wish etc-update had a "restore point"
> feature where you could back up your existing config files prior to
> doing an update.
>
> Personally, I always do the following before running etc-update:
>
> bash #> tar -cvjf /root/etc-backup.tbz2 /etc
>
> Of course, you have to have the disk space to do it, and if you break
> something it must be restored manually. If this functionality were
> built into etc-update (or perhaps rolled into a separate program,
> etc-restore maybe?) then one could quickly and easily pop old configs
> back in when something breaks.
>
> Of course, I don't know how to formally make such a request, and as a
> lowly user with little-to-no programing skills, I'd feel a bit sheepish
> doing so!
>
> At any rate, sorry I couldn't help you further!
np.
I did boot the livecd I have and fdisk sees all partitions. I mounted them
at /mnt/gentoo...... and everything is there. I think my next move is to
chroot into the system, I just don't know what to do then, run etc-update,
cfg-update-u????

Mike

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
Did you let etc-update do it autmatically? There was a baselayout upgrade recently and it wanted to upgrade almost everything. I ran etc-update manually and told it no on most of them.

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
On пн, 2004-10-25 at 12:01 -0400, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> On Monday October 25 2004 11:44, David Rea wrote:
> > > fstab looks fine. the system actually looks as if it can't even find
> > > the drive
> > > except for grub which finds teh kernel and boots it??
> >
> > 'Fraid I can't help ya beyond this!
> >
> > These kind of problems make me wish etc-update had a "restore point"
> > feature where you could back up your existing config files prior to
> > doing an update.
> >
> > Personally, I always do the following before running etc-update:
> >
> > bash #> tar -cvjf /root/etc-backup.tbz2 /etc
> >
> > Of course, you have to have the disk space to do it, and if you break
> > something it must be restored manually. If this functionality were
> > built into etc-update (or perhaps rolled into a separate program,
> > etc-restore maybe?) then one could quickly and easily pop old configs
> > back in when something breaks.
> >
> > Of course, I don't know how to formally make such a request, and as a
> > lowly user with little-to-no programing skills, I'd feel a bit sheepish
> > doing so!
> >
> > At any rate, sorry I couldn't help you further!
> np.
> I did boot the livecd I have and fdisk sees all partitions. I mounted them
> at /mnt/gentoo...... and everything is there. I think my next move is to
> chroot into the system, I just don't know what to do then, run etc-update,
> cfg-update-u????
>
> Mike

Hi,
Just (10 min) ago finished with system update (was baselayout) - there
were exactly 23 files to update - mostly in /etc/conf.d and /etc/init.d
Did it with etc-update modified to use meld (visual) and did backup on
some important (critical) files.
If didn't run etc-update etc. to update your configs and you have a
binary package of the old baselayout, suggest you to emerge the old to
get things working then re-emerge 'new' baselayout checking all changes.
Or if the new configs are in place edit (correct) the changed
config-files.
Out of other ideas. There are some major changes in configs.
PS: by the way i still haven't restarted myself ;)
HTH
--
Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@dir.bg>
Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
On Monday 25 October 2004 10:12 am, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> OK so I ran emerge sync and emerge -uvDa world on my perfectly (for quite
> some time) laptop. Looked like the usual set of minor files to upgrade.
> (including udev). This morning, I looked and saw it said 23 config files
> needed updating. Looked like a lot, and I did not want to be late for work.
> Upon arriving at work and booting the laptop, grub somes up fine, the
> kernel loads then it can't find any good ext3 filesystems on anything but
> the /dev/hdc2 that is mounted read only. Grub seems to be able to see it
> but nothing else. fdisk /dev/hdc yeilds "unable to open /dev/hdc" but
> /dev/hdc2 is mounted at / .

You never said what you did. Did you do a -5?

> where do I go from here? This is really weird!

Will see about that.

Jeff
Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
fstab seems to look fine, but upon booting the system faild fsck on /dev/hdc2
which is root, stating that /dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc2 doesn't exist.
Why does it add the /dev/hdc2 twice, it is not that way in fstab?
where is the .cfg file that may be borked for this error?

Mike

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 11:44:23 -0400
David Rea <dave@daverea.com> wrote:

> > fstab looks fine. the system actually looks as if it can't even find
> > the drive
> > except for grub which finds teh kernel and boots it??
>
> 'Fraid I can't help ya beyond this!
>
> These kind of problems make me wish etc-update had a "restore point"
> feature where you could back up your existing config files prior to
> doing an update.
>
> Personally, I always do the following before running etc-update:
>
> bash #> tar -cvjf /root/etc-backup.tbz2 /etc

try dispatch.conf, much better IMHO and it keeps a backup.

its part of portage.

--
Nick Rout <nick@rout.co.nz>

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
You mast have upgraded fstab.

I recently upgraded as well, but I'm using dispatch-conf for upgrades
and carefully analyzing all the files I'm familiar with. So I remember
it wanted to hose my fstab so I just "zap" the new configuration file as
I got burned on this once before.

#Joseph

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
It seems that the same thing happened to me and michael, I emerged
this morning, came back from university tonight and when I wanted to
boot my laptop it said that my ext2 is corrupted... I still have my
filesystem as readonly thought.

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
Sorry to double mail, but it seems that a lot more people got this
problem.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=242001

Re: System Thrashed???!!! [ In reply to ]
On Monday October 25 2004 17:16, Joseph wrote:
> You mast have upgraded fstab.
>
> I recently upgraded as well, but I'm using dispatch-conf for upgrades
> and carefully analyzing all the files I'm familiar with. So I remember
> it wanted to hose my fstab so I just "zap" the new configuration file as
> I got burned on this once before.

There were no updates. I didn't allow the update to run. I rebooted without
running the updates. fstab is still fine and has not been changed...

It seems to have come from either udev or baselayout upgrades?

Mike

Re: System Thrashed???!!! <SOLVED SOMEWHAT> [ In reply to ]
On Monday 25 October 2004 01:43 pm, Jeff Smelser wrote:
> On Monday 25 October 2004 10:12 am, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> > OK so I ran emerge sync and emerge -uvDa world on my perfectly (for quite
> > some time) laptop. Looked like the usual set of minor files to upgrade.
> > (including udev). This morning, I looked and saw it said 23 config files
> > needed updating. Looked like a lot, and I did not want to be late for
> > work. Upon arriving at work and booting the laptop, grub somes up fine,
> > the kernel loads then it can't find any good ext3 filesystems on anything
> > but the /dev/hdc2 that is mounted read only. Grub seems to be able to see
> > it but nothing else. fdisk /dev/hdc yeilds "unable to open /dev/hdc" but
> > /dev/hdc2 is mounted at / .
>
> You never said what you did. Did you do a -5?
>
> > where do I go from here? This is really weird!
>
> Will see about that.
>
> Jeff
I think this has been a great learing exp for all involved.
I am using the affected machine now, I edited the rc file according to the
forum messages and changed RC_DEVICES from auto to udev and the machine is
now usable. There are a few boot messages to work on, I also noticed it fixed
the problem I had with boot actually appearing to run twice.
Mike
--
Michael W. Holdeman

Powered by Gentoo Linux www.gentoo.org 2004.0
Kernel 2.6.8.1-ck9
Windows apps thanks to Win4Lin 5.1.16 netraverse.com
Wireless thanks to ndiswrapper

Re: System Thrashed???!!! <SOLVED SOMEWHAT> [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 26 October 2004 11:58 am, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:

> I think this has been a great learing exp for all involved.
> I am using the affected machine now, I edited the rc file according to the
> forum messages and changed RC_DEVICES from auto to udev and the machine is
> now usable. There are a few boot messages to work on, I also noticed it
> fixed the problem I had with boot actually appearing to run twice.
> Mike

Are you using a ~x86 system or x86.. Seems to be wide spread and I notice them
saying saying they are using ~x86..

Jeff
Re: System Thrashed???!!! <SOLVED SOMEWHAT> [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 26 October 2004 01:15 pm, Jeff Smelser wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 October 2004 11:58 am, Michael W. Holdeman wrote:
> > I think this has been a great learing exp for all involved.
> > I am using the affected machine now, I edited the rc file according to
> > the forum messages and changed RC_DEVICES from auto to udev and the
> > machine is now usable. There are a few boot messages to work on, I also
> > noticed it fixed the problem I had with boot actually appearing to run
> > twice. Mike
>
> Are you using a ~x86 system or x86.. Seems to be wide spread and I notice
> them saying saying they are using ~x86..
>
> Jeff
~x86
--
Michael W. Holdeman