Mailing List Archive

Playing Canon Powershot A85 AVI Videos with MPlayer
Hi all,

I have a Canon Powershot A85 digital camera. I have a recent Gentoo
2004.1 installation and I tried to play the AVI videos taken with the
camera via mplayer. But Mplayer claims that it does not know the video
codec. Here is the error message:

Playing mvi_0074.avi.
AVI file format detected.
VIDEO: [MJPG] 320x240 24bpp 15.000 fps 1745.1 kbps (213.0 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
Digitization Time: Fri Oct 22 02:07:46 2004

Software: CanonMVI01
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x1.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!
vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x47504A4D.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!

As I found some hints and success reports (at least with the A75 model)
on the web, my assumption is that some codecs are not installed. I'm
able to compile all codecs by hand and install mplayer afterwards as
descriped on the mplayer webpage. But as I like to use gentoo for this
as well, I want to know if anybody had the same problem and knows how to
fix it with gentoo ?

Best Regards,
Thomas

--