when trying to preview notification sound. Any ideas where the problem
could be? I am getting quite confused with this linux sound...

And maybe another related question. How can i make mplayer use alsa
too? I tried setting ao=alsa or ao=alsa9 or ao=alsa10 in
/etc/mplayer.conf, but neither works (Could not open/initialize audio
device -> no sound.).

Any tips are appreciated.

Peter

Re: mozilla notification sound problem [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 13:41:46 +0200, Peter Gaži <petergazi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello gentoo users,
>
> I have a little annoying problem for some linux sound guru. I have a
> sound card which doesnt support HW mixing (CM8738) so I am using alsa
> with dmix, and also arts, they both work, even simultaneously (i can
> play mp3 in xmms with arts output plugin, play another mp3 in
> alsaplayer using alsa and mplayer using arts) but mozilla refuses to
> play notification sounds. If run from a console, it complains like
> this:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
> failed: Device or resource busy

I have a suspicion that you really aren't using dmix in this case.
Pull up xmms by itself, and then run alsamixer. Does xmms volume vary
with the PCM fader or the CD fader? If it's with the CD fader (my
suspicion) then you are not using digital sound for xmms, but are
using a mixer in the sound chip that supports mixing of the PCM input
with the analog input coming from the CD.

However, if it varies with the PCM fader, you are clearly using
digital for xmms.

Try this again with alsaplayer and you'll see it does vary with PCM.

How do you start alsaplayer? What dmix name do you give it as a
location to send the digita audio?

Re: mozilla notification sound problem [ In reply to ]
> I have a suspicion that you really aren't using dmix in this case.
> Pull up xmms by itself, and then run alsamixer. Does xmms volume vary
> with the PCM fader or the CD fader? If it's with the CD fader (my
> suspicion) then you are not using digital sound for xmms, but are
> using a mixer in the sound chip that supports mixing of the PCM input
> with the analog input coming from the CD.

no CDs are involved, I am playing multiple mp3s from multiple programs
(xmms, alsaplayer) simultaneously.