Mailing List Archive

problems with knoppix/gentoo install
im tring to install gentoo on my laptop, since none of the livecds will
boot my system, they keep hanging, so i am using the knoppix cd to
actually boot the system as per the Alternative install doc on the
gentoo site. my problem is when i get down to part 6, where you emerge
--sync i get following error message:

write failed on "/usr/portage/licenses/hdf": no space left on device
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(277)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed.....

the drive is 10gigs, and nothing is even being used yet! does this have
to do with my using the knoppix cd? cause i am chrooted to the new
system, so it should be using the actual harddrive not some ram disk
from the knoppix cd. i tried the df command and i get a "df: cannot read
table of mounted filesystems: no such file or directory" and the mount
command is not found to see the mounts.

i even tried doing an emerge-webrsync and it just sits at Fetching most
recent snapshot and i can see in a ps aux that it is using wget to get a
snap shot but nothing verbose on the screen it just drops me back at a
prompt.

am i missing something here? i have followed the instructions to a T.
im guessing its using some ramdisk instead of the harddrive and its
running out of room on the sync. any ideas?

thanks

nick

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]
Nick Smith wrote:

> write failed on "/usr/portage/licenses/hdf": no space left on device
> rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(277)
> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed.....

This will happen if you run out of inodes, even if you're not out of
physical space. How do you mkfs?

/djb

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]
David Busby wrote:

> Nick Smith wrote:
>

>> write failed on "/usr/portage/licenses/hdf": no space left on device
>> rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(277)
>> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed.....
>>

> This will happen if you run out of inodes, even if you're not out of
> physical space. How do you mkfs?
>
> /djb

well i did get a problem when i tried to set up the 3 default
partitions, hda1 is windowsxp already, so i made hda2 - boot, hda3 -
swap and hda4 - root/reiserfs but when i went to format the resierfs
partition it said it could do it because it was 0 blocks or something to
that affect, so i took out the boot partition and just made a swap and
root, then just made a boot directory under /mnt/gentoo/boot so the
structure would be the same. then the mkreiserfs /dev/hda3 would work,
and i continued with the install. does any of this info help you guys to
diagnose?

thanks

nick

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]
Nicholas Pappas wrote:

>On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 01:57 +0000, Nick Smith wrote:
>

>>my problem is when i get down to part 6, where you emerge
>>--sync i get following error message:

>>does this have to do with my using the knoppix cd?
>>

> I use Knoppix to install Gentoo, but haven't run into this before.
>What does your partition table look like?

my partition table is hda1 = ntfs, hda2 = linux swap, hda3 = reiserfs,
hopefully in the end i want to dualboot XP and gentoo

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]
Bill Davidson wrote:

>On 01:57 Sun 24 Oct , Nick Smith wrote:
>

>>im tring to install gentoo on my laptop, since none of the livecds will
>>boot my system, they keep hanging, so i am using the knoppix cd to
>>actually boot the system as per the Alternative install doc on the
>>gentoo site. my problem is when i get down to part 6, where you emerge
>>--sync i get following error message:
>>
>>write failed on "/usr/portage/licenses/hdf": no space left on device
>>rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at receiver.c(277)
>>rsync: connection unexpectedly closed.....
>>
>>the drive is 10gigs, and nothing is even being used yet! does this have
>>to do with my using the knoppix cd? cause i am chrooted to the new
>>system, so it should be using the actual harddrive not some ram disk
>>from the knoppix cd. i tried the df command and i get a "df: cannot read
>>table of mounted filesystems: no such file or directory" and the mount
>>command is not found to see the mounts.
>>

>This makes me think you might not have mounted the /proc filesystem before
>chrooting. What does 'cat /proc/mounts' say?
>
>Bill
>
>--

rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root.old / ext2 rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0
/dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
/ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
/automount(pid442) /mnt/auto autofs rw 0 0
/dev/hda3 / reiserfs rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw 0 0

i followed the alt install guide for using the knoppix cd and i did the
mount it said in that guide with the: "mount -o bind /proc
/mnt/gentoo/proc"

what do you think?

nick

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:

> Nick Smith wrote:
>
>> Bill Davidson wrote:
>

>> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
>> /dev/root.old / ext2 rw 0 0
>> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
>> /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
>> /dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0
>> /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
>> /ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw 0 0
>> /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
>> /automount(pid442) /mnt/auto autofs rw 0 0
>> /dev/hda3 / reiserfs rw 0 0
>> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
>>
>> i followed the alt install guide for using the knoppix cd and i did
>> the mount it said in that guide with the: "mount -o bind /proc
>> /mnt/gentoo/proc"
>>
>> what do you think?
>>
>> nick
>>
> I think this doesn't look very much like a chrooted system.
>
> Is it just me?
>
> Holly

well you guys are the experts you tell me? what is is suppose to look
like? i did the chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash and did the env-update and
source /etc/profile and thats what it gave me, what can i do differently
to get past this? any ideas?

nick

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 15:51 +0000, Nick Smith wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
> > Nick Smith wrote:
> >> Bill Davidson wrote:
> >> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> >> /dev/root.old / ext2 rw 0 0
> >> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> >> /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
> >> /dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0
> >> /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
> >> /ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw 0 0
> >> /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
> >> /automount(pid442) /mnt/auto autofs rw 0 0
> >> /dev/hda3 / reiserfs rw 0 0
> >> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> >>
> >> i followed the alt install guide for using the knoppix cd and i did
> >> the mount it said in that guide with the: "mount -o bind /proc
> >> /mnt/gentoo/proc"
> >>
> >> what do you think?
> >>
> >> nick
> >>
> > I think this doesn't look very much like a chrooted system.
> >
> > Is it just me?
> >
> > Holly
> >
> well you guys are the experts you tell me? what is is suppose to look
> like? i did the chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash and did the env-update and
> source /etc/profile and thats what it gave me, what can i do differently
> to get past this? any ideas?
>
> nick

Doesn't look right to me. Have you rebooted since you did the mounts?
If so, do them again. Notice that you also do not have a /mnt/gentoo
either. I'd remount the partitions, run mount again and then

ls /mnt/gentoo (check there are files)
ls /mnt/gentoo/proc (check there are files, etc)

If you're still having problems then write back and we'll try to work
out what point you've got to.

--
Tom Wesley <tom@tomaw.org>
Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]
On 13:50 Sun 24 Oct , Nick Smith wrote:
> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> /dev/root.old / ext2 rw 0 0
> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
> /dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0
> /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
> /ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw 0 0
> /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
> /automount(pid442) /mnt/auto autofs rw 0 0
> /dev/hda3 / reiserfs rw 0 0
> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
>
> i followed the alt install guide for using the knoppix cd and i did the
> mount it said in that guide with the: "mount -o bind /proc
> /mnt/gentoo/proc"
>
> what do you think?

As Holly said, that doesn't look right. Did you 'cd /mnt/gentoo' before
chrooting?

Bill

Re: problems with knoppix/gentoo install [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 23:51, Nick Smith wrote:
> Holly Bostick wrote:
>
> > Nick Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Bill Davidson wrote:
> >

> >> rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> >> /dev/root.old / ext2 rw 0 0
> >> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> >> /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
> >> /dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0
> >> /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
> >> /ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw 0 0
> >> /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
> >> /automount(pid442) /mnt/auto autofs rw 0 0
> >> /dev/hda3 / reiserfs rw 0 0
> >> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> >>
> >> i followed the alt install guide for using the knoppix cd and i did
> >> the mount it said in that guide with the: "mount -o bind /proc
> >> /mnt/gentoo/proc"
> >>
> >> what do you think?
> >>
> >> nick
> >>
> > I think this doesn't look very much like a chrooted system.

I agree with Holly.. This is how it _should_ look like.

Note that this is from Gentoo and not from Knoppix.

eg : (from Knoppix)
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
> >> /dev/root.old / ext2 rw 0 0
> >> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0
> >> /dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
> >> /dev/scd0 /cdrom iso9660 ro 0 0
> >> /dev/cloop /KNOPPIX iso9660 ro 0 0
> >> /ramdisk /ramdisk tmpfs rw 0 0
> >> /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
> >> /automount(pid442) /mnt/auto autofs rw 0 0
> >> /dev/hda3 / reiserfs rw 0 0
> >> /proc /proc proc rw 0 0

Then
$su -
password*****
# chroot /mnt/fc2/ /bin/bash
# mount
/dev/hda8 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw)

You should only See those (and your /proc filesystem, I didn't do the
mounts)