snag yesterday with cups so I had to reboot.

--
#Joseph

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
> I'm just curious how long your Gentoo Box run (when upgrade regularly -
> at least once a week).

My counter rolled over. Was around 500-600 days.

--NJ
Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
Nicholas Jones wrote:
>>I'm just curious how long your Gentoo Box run (when upgrade regularly -
>>at least once a week).
>
> My counter rolled over. Was around 500-600 days.

I certaintly hope that box wasn't directly connected to the internet. :-/

--
Andrew Gaffney
Network Administrator

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 23 October 2004 08:13 pm, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Nicholas Jones wrote:
> >>I'm just curious how long your Gentoo Box run (when upgrade regularly -
> >>at least once a week).
> >
> > My counter rolled over. Was around 500-600 days.
>
> I certaintly hope that box wasn't directly connected to the internet. :-/

WOW! <vbg>

I had one go over 200 days. It was shutdown for hardware updating...

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Nicholas Jones wrote:

> > I'm just curious how long your Gentoo Box run (when upgrade regularly -
> > at least once a week).
>
> My counter rolled over. Was around 500-600 days.

Not a good idea to run an old buggy kernel for this long...

--
marketroid /mar'k*-troyd/ n.

alt. `marketing slime',
`marketeer', `marketing droid', `marketdroid'. A member
of a company's marketing department, esp. one who promises users
that the next version of a product will have features that are not
actually scheduled for inclusion, are extremely difficult to
implement, and/or are in violation of the laws of physics; and/or
one who describes existing features (and misfeatures) in ebullient,
buzzword-laden adspeak. Derogatory. Compare droid.

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:57:25 -0400 (EDT) Ajai Khattri <ajai@bway.net>
wrote:
| On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Nicholas Jones wrote:
|
| > > I'm just curious how long your Gentoo Box run (when upgrade
| > > regularly - at least once a week).
| >
| > My counter rolled over. Was around 500-600 days.
|
| Not a good idea to run an old buggy kernel for this long...

That depends upon what you're doing with the box...

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:57:25 -0400 (EDT) Ajai Khattri <ajai@bway.net>
> wrote:

> | > My counter rolled over. Was around 500-600 days.
> |
> | Not a good idea to run an old buggy kernel for this long...
>
> That depends upon what you're doing with the box...

Well if its online, as an administrator working for an ISP, I would be
concerned...

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
Ajai Khattri wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 23:57:25 -0400 (EDT) Ajai Khattri <ajai@bway.net>
>>wrote:

>>| Not a good idea to run an old buggy kernel for this long...
>>
>>That depends upon what you're doing with the box...
>

> Well if its online, as an administrator working for an ISP, I would be
> concerned...

May I ask why?

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:

>>>That depends upon what you're doing with the box...
>> Well if its online, as an administrator working for an ISP, I would be
>> concerned...
> May I ask why?

Because in Linux kernel sometimes there are some security bugs found. Check
this page
http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/index.xml and look how many security
bugs has been found since the release of kernel which is installed on such
box, check which tasks are done by server, and manage the risks for your
particular system.

Netcraft measures reliability by counting 'time since last reboot' from web
servers. But I do not agree that this is good when system did not get
rebooted for a years - even with *BSD kernels. See here:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

People from *BSD world try to tell me that their kernels are *so* stable that
there are no need to upgrade them in years. I do not believe: either their
kernel development is not so intensive so its almost true, or may be they
can ignore some problems in particular cases.

Personally I prefer to reboot my servers at least once a few months - to
upgrade the kernel (not because of security fixes, but just to be in
mainline, with latest software provided even on stable systems). So, I test
new kernels / software for a some time on development / in-house systems,
and when its done, I push it to production.

--
Alex V. Koval
http://www.halogen-dg.com

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
Ajai Khattri wrote:

>>| Not a good idea to run an old buggy kernel for this long...
>>That depends upon what you're doing with the box...
> Well if its online, as an administrator working for an ISP, I would be
> concerned...

that breaks the golden rule:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
* On Mon Oct-25-2004 at 10:32:44 AM -0400, Billy said:

> >>That depends upon what you're doing with the box...
> >Well if its online, as an administrator working for an ISP, I would be
> >concerned...
>
> that breaks the golden rule:
>
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I guess it depends how you look at it. If there were any fixes to the
kernel in that time (there were lots) then the old kernels are "broken"
in a sense.

--
Sami Samhuri
Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004, Joseph wrote:

> I'm just curious how long your Gentoo Box run (when upgrade regularly -
> at least once a week).
>
> My box lasted about 56-days (upgrading about twice a week) and I hit a
> snag yesterday with cups so I had to reboot.

I've got two boxes that have odd configs to boot software raids.
They've been up 240 and 220 days because I've been a bit afraid to mess
with them. The 240 day is running the truly ancient and hack-able 2.4.20
while the other has a much newer kernel.

I generally don't worry as no users have local access to either
box and a firewall is only allowing certain ports in. It isn't fool proof,
but all the services are up to date and have been locked down as
appropriate. As to boxes with normal RAID drivers then tend to get rebooted
when there is a needed kernel change, around the 50 day mark on most of
those. Needed usually means security, stability, driver, or functionality
related in roughly that order of importance.

I only run servers, so it may be very different for desktop type
boxes.

kashani

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
AFAIK Linux cant run 427+ days cuz the seconds_since_boot sort of
variable is a ULONG, so when it reaches the maximum it just reboots
check netcraft's uptime record and youll see no linux in the first
places

El sáb, 23-10-2004 a las 19:46, Joseph escribió:
> I'm just curious how long your Gentoo Box run (when upgrade regularly -
> at least once a week).
>
> My box lasted about 56-days (upgrading about twice a week) and I hit a
> snag yesterday with cups so I had to reboot.
[Jorge J. Boscán Etura] lu#137000
"Quando Omni Flunkus... Moritati"
Universidad Fermín Toro <http://www.uft.edu.ve>
Linux 2.6.9 i686 btw not running Debian
541A 0A8F 2178 4DE3 54A8 6C88 577B C70C 9FB4 0511

En la ruta al 1º Foro Mundial de Tecnología Libre
Caracas, del 17 al 21 de Noviembre 2004.

Re: Longest Running Gentoo box - w/upgrades [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, [=Jorge [ISO-8859-1] Boscán Etura=] wrote:

> AFAIK Linux cant run 427+ days cuz the seconds_since_boot sort of
> variable is a ULONG, so when it reaches the maximum it just reboots
> check netcraft's uptime record and youll see no linux in the first
> places

1. it's 497 days
2. the counter rolls over and the system does not reboot
3. http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/accuracy.html#whichos

kashani