versions of X.org?
Thank you.
Ian
Re: Slightly off topic, my apoligies [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:45:30 -0600, Ian K <omega_2_1@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hey all,
> Does anyone know if Enlightenment or XFce (the latest versions)
> take advantage of the genuine transparency presented in recent
> versions of X.org?

No I don't, but everything I've read about the new transparency
feature tells me that it's not ready for public consumption.

--
Collins

Re: Slightly off topic, my apoligies [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 17:45 -0600, Ian K wrote:
> Hey all,
> Does anyone know if Enlightenment or XFce (the latest versions)
> take advantage of the genuine transparency presented in recent
> versions of X.org?
> Thank you.
> Ian

I know that XFCE 4.2 beta 1 (masked by package.mask) does.

--
Tom Wesley <tom@tomaw.org>
Re: Slightly off topic, my apoligies [ In reply to ]

xfwm claims to do so: http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=news&lang=en

--
Yoann Pannier

Re: Slightly off topic, my apoligies [ In reply to ]
Hello
Being a newb, i have no idea what package.mask
means. I just know that if something is masked "softly"
I can enter the name into a file and it can be installed.
What do you mean? (I did check the packages.gentoo.org
site, but The only version I would be able to get is
4.1.90.)
Thanks again.
Ian

Re: Slightly off topic, my apoligies [ In reply to ]
Ian K wrote:
> Hello
> Being a newb, i have no idea what package.mask
> means. I just know that if something is masked "softly"
> I can enter the name into a file and it can be installed.
> What do you mean? (I did check the packages.gentoo.org
> site, but The only version I would be able to get is
> 4.1.90.)
> Thanks again.
> Ian

package.mask is a file in /usr/portage/profiles, it is therefore
recreated every time you emerge sync. The packages there are called
"hard masked" and will appear with a red box with an M(*~-) in the
online database or qpkg search. They are hard masked for a reason-- they
are very dangerous packages which could break your system if they don't
work (and often there seems to be some suspicion of a major problem, if
you look at the packages that are in fact hard masked), and therefore
should only be used by people who are committed to testing (rather than
people who just want to have the latest and greatest).

Unlike 'soft masked' packages (~arch), these cannot be unmasked and
installed by ACCEPT_KEYWORDS (manually or in make.conf) or insertion of
the package into /etc/portage/package.keywords. They can only be
unmasked by inserting them in /etc/portage/package.unmask (which you
should really think twice-- and then again-- about doing, unless you
have an overwhelming need for the particular package).

Hope this helps.

Holly