adding an '=')"

Any clue as to what this means? I've been unable to find any leads an I'm
feeling a bit lost.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
That particular version is unstable. To install it anyway use:

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge xmms-wma

AND not to forget RTFM.

JD Huntington schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> Having a small problem with emerging WMA support for XMMS...
>
> I just emerged the latest version of XMMS, and now I'd like to load WMA
> support, so I type `emerge xmms-wma-1.0.3`
>
> It comes back with :
>
> !!! problem in media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3 dependencies.
> !!! "Specific ket requires an operator (media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3) (try
> adding an '=')"
>
> Any clue as to what this means? I've been unable to find any leads an I'm
> feeling a bit lost.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinz Sporn

SPORN it-freelancing

Mobile: ++43 (0)699 / 127 827 07
Email: heinz.sporn@sporn-it.com
heinz.sporn@utanet.at
Snail: Steyrer Str. 20
A-4540 Bad Hall
Austria / Europe

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
JD Huntington wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Having a small problem with emerging WMA support for XMMS...
>
>I just emerged the latest version of XMMS, and now I'd like to load WMA
>support, so I type `emerge xmms-wma-1.0.3`
>
>It comes back with :
>
>!!! problem in media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3 dependencies.
>!!! "Specific ket requires an operator (media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3) (try
>adding an '=')"

it means that in order to emerge a specific release you have to use "="

ie: emerge =media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3

HTH

--
Ted Ozolins(VE7TVO)
Westbank, B. C

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Heinz Sporn wrote:

> AND not to forget RTFM.

In this case it would be sufficient to /at least/ read the error
message... ;)

--
T.G.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
Tero Grundström wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Heinz Sporn wrote:
>

>>AND not to forget RTFM.
>

> In this case it would be sufficient to /at least/ read the error
> message... ;)

In all honesty, that error message is only clear if you know what it means.

Specific key? What's that? Add an "=", fine, but where? If you know that
"specific key" means "specific version of a package", and that emerge
does take >, <, and = signs, but only if you put both the package
category and the package version in the emerge command, then no worries,
but how many of us knew that the first time we got this message?

It's not completely fair to say that this error message is crystal-clear
and instantly illuminating by default.

Holly

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 October 2004 01:57 am, Heinz Sporn wrote:
> That particular version is unstable. To install it anyway use:
>
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge xmms-wma
>
> AND not to forget RTFM.

Speaking of RTFM, portage very clearly states the practice above is NOT
SUPPORTED and is NOT LIKED..

Look into /etc/portage/ files section. Specifically package.keywords

Jeff
Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
I assumed that JD has at least a little understanding of the emerge
process. Otherwise he wouldn't have gone for a specific xmms-wma
version. Since that is a not so common procedure I would have read the
Portage documentation on this:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1#doc_chap4

Section: "When Portage is complaining"

On the other hand I could have used a PRTNWDOTT (Please Read The Nicely
Written Documentation On This Topic) instead of RTFM. ;-)

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
If I'd need an unstable version of a specific package I really don't
care that much if someone else LIKES it if I use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for
that particualar reason. ;-)

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 October 2004 09:51 am, Heinz Sporn wrote:
> If I'd need an unstable version of a specific package I really don't
> care that much if someone else LIKES it if I use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for
> that particualar reason. ;-)

Thats fine, but your telling others to do it, which isnt right.. And its not
what I like, its portage.. man portage and check it out for yourself.

I dont care what you do to your system, just dont drag others with you.

Jeff
Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Ted Ozolins wrote:

> JD Huntington wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Having a small problem with emerging WMA support for XMMS...
> >
> >I just emerged the latest version of XMMS, and now I'd like to load WMA
> >support, so I type `emerge xmms-wma-1.0.3`
> >
> >It comes back with :
> >
> >!!! problem in media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3 dependencies.
> >!!! "Specific ket requires an operator (media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3) (try
> >adding an '=')"
> >

> it means that in order to emerge a specific release you have to use "="
>
> ie: emerge =media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Ted Ozolins(VE7TVO)
> Westbank, B. C

Hi,

Exactly.
The LIKED way of *keywording* is the following:
You create the /etc/portage/ dir, if it isn't exists. Open
package.keyword file. Add xmms-wma ~ARCH. It means xmms-wma package can
be updated to TESTING version. If your ARCH is x86 then it reads
media-plugins/xmms-wma ~x86
You can look for your ARCH in /etc/make.conf .
The TESTING package means that the ebuild is under testing. It doesn't
mean anything about the stability of the upstream software.
Another possibility, when you need some new feature from a version, and
you don't want to use TESTING packages always, but in a specific version
=media-plugins/xmms-wma-x-y-version ~ARCH

If you have any problem, or question, ask without *fear*.

HTH.
Cheers,
Tamas Sarga
--
A day is 24 hours long. Egy nap 24 órából áll.
A box of beer contains 24 bottles. Egy tálcán 24 üveg sör van.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
Relax man. I am in no way telling others what do or not to do. I just
replied to someone's problem. I only told the original poster that
there's a well documented way to handle unstable versions. If you read
more into that ... well, sorry.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
Heinz Sporn wrote:
> If I'd need an unstable version of a specific package I really don't
> care that much if someone else LIKES it if I use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for
> that particualar reason. ;-)

If you *need* an unstable version of a specific package (which means
that if it works, you're definitely going to continue using it), you
should take the trouble to put it in /etc/portage/package.keywords.

If you *think you want* the unstable version of a package (but are not
sure it's going to work, for whatever reason), you should install it
with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but *if it works and you're going to keep it* you
should then put it in /etc/portage/package.keywords.

You'll care a lot more when your emerge -u*** world tries to downgrade
your package because you didn't follow recommended procedure. The
package will only remain unmasked if you use
/etc/portage/package.keywords; if you use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, the package
is unmasked for that emerge, but remains considered masked by Portage in
general, so at the first available opportunity Portage will try to
replace the masked unstable package with the 'open' stable package.
Which is presumably not what you want, especially when it's weeks or
months later and you've forgotten all about this whole incident (having
happily used your unstable package in the meantime).

Holly

<snip>

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Holly Bostick wrote:

> Tero Grundström wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Heinz Sporn wrote:
> >
> >>AND not to forget RTFM.
> >
> > In this case it would be sufficient to /at least/ read the error
> > message... ;)
>
> In all honesty, that error message is only clear if you know what it means.

> Specific key? What's that? Add an "=", fine, but where? If you know that
> "specific key" means "specific version of a package", and that emerge
> does take >, <, and = signs, but only if you put both the package
> category and the package version in the emerge command, then no worries,
> but how many of us knew that the first time we got this message?
>
> It's not completely fair to say that this error message is crystal-clear
> and instantly illuminating by default.

I agree, it's not. But that's exactly why people should RTFM, STFW and
STFF a bit more before writing here IMHO...

Also, this is one area portage has weaknesses of its own too, at least
when it comes to newbies. Personally I think its fine.

--
T.G.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 October 2004 10:36 am, Heinz Sporn wrote:

> Relax man. I am in no way telling others what do or not to do. I just
> replied to someone's problem. I only told the original poster that
> there's a well documented way to handle unstable versions. If you read
> more into that ... well, sorry.

I'm very relaxed actually.. thanks.. I am was just pointing out that giving
that as advice is not advisable since it causes other problems later. You and
I could get out of, you never know the user on the other end could..

Besides, it wasnt the right advice anyway, thats not his issue..

Jeff
Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
Actually I did emerge the package of interest with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
according to
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
section: "When Portage is complaining"
I am not saying that this is the ONLY way to go (and Tero Grundström
described another way in this thread). Actually I prefer using
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for small packages that have pretty much no
dependencies. So I don't quite understand you telling me my advice
wasn't right.

I'd say it's just one option.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 13:42, Heinz Sporn wrote:
> Actually I did emerge the package of interest with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
> according to
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
> section: "When Portage is complaining"
> I am not saying that this is the ONLY way to go (and Tero Grundström
> described another way in this thread). Actually I prefer using
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for small packages that have pretty much no
> dependencies. So I don't quite understand you telling me my advice
> wasn't right.
>
> I'd say it's just one option.

If I understand it correctly, ACCEPT_KEYWORDS=~x86 emerge <package> can
drag in unneeded stuff.

I have seen it recommended many times on the list and forums to create
the file /etc/portage/package.keywords and place this line in it:

media-sound/xmms ~x86

--
Phil
Our 2nd CD: http://www.cdbaby.com/naomisfancy

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 October 2004 12:42 pm, Heinz Sporn wrote:
> Actually I did emerge the package of interest with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
> according to
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
> section: "When Portage is complaining"
> I am not saying that this is the ONLY way to go (and Tero Grundström
> described another way in this thread). Actually I prefer using
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for small packages that have pretty much no
> dependencies.

I looked, where on that page, does it tell you to put ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86"
emerge -a whatever?? I saw that no where...

You dont do it, because it will ask you to downgrade again the next emerge
update.. Then your right back where you started.. Or other errors..

> So I don't quite understand you telling me my advice
> wasn't right.

The error is:

!!! problem in media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3 dependencies.
!!! "Specific ket requires an operator (media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3) (try
adding an '=')"

emerge -a =media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3 is what its telling me to do..
Probably more to it, but I have never seen that error.. (which is why I did
not reply, and cant reproduce it to see).. putting this
in /etc/portage/package.keywords would also make sure I dont have to worry
about downgrading problems..

Jeff
Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
Heinz Sporn wrote:
> Actually I did emerge the package of interest with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
> according to
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
> section: "When Portage is complaining"
> I am not saying that this is the ONLY way to go (and Tero Grundström
> described another way in this thread). Actually I prefer using
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for small packages that have pretty much no
> dependencies. So I don't quite understand you telling me my advice
> wasn't right.
>
> I'd say it's just one option.

The problem is that ACCEPT_KEYWORDS unmasks packages temporarily, for
that emerge only. As far as Portage is concerned, the package remains
masked. So when you attempt to upgrade that package, or world, Portage
will try to downgrade it to the stable package, which is probably not
what you want.

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS is only useful if you suspect that the unstable package
will not install, or will not meet your needs. In those cases, you don't
want Portage as a whole to unmask the package *yet*. But as soon as you
determine that you want to keep the package, you should unmask it in
/etc/portage/package.keywords, to inform Portage that it's "OK".
Otherwise, two months from now when you've completely forgotten that you
installed this package using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, you'll see Portage
downgrade it (or you won't see it, and will marvel at the loss of
function), and we'll all have another thread to deal with ("Why is
Portage downgrading Program X?").

It's happened often enough, and all because people persist in using a
deprecated "testing" function for production.

Holly

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 19:42:07 +0200, Heinz Sporn
<heinz.sporn@sporn-it.com> wrote:
> Actually I did emerge the package of interest with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS
> according to
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1
> section: "When Portage is complaining"

Note that the referenced page does not tell you to use ACCEPT_KEYWORDS.

> I am not saying that this is the ONLY way to go (and Tero Grundström
> described another way in this thread). Actually I prefer using
> ACCEPT_KEYWORDS for small packages that have pretty much no
> dependencies. So I don't quite understand you telling me my advice
> wasn't right.

Here's why it's not right:

# ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge vifm
[...]
>>> app-misc/vifm-0.2a merged.
[...]

# emerge -uDvp world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild UD] app-misc/vifm-0.2 [0.2a] 87 kB

Total size of downloads: 87 kB

The correct way:

# echo "app-misc/vifm ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
# emerge vifm
[...]
>>> app-misc/vifm-0.2a merged.
[...]

# emerge -uDvp world

Calculating world dependencies ...done!

Total size of downloads: 0 kB

> I'd say it's just one option.

Sure, but a very poor one.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
You are right. It doesn't say that explicitly.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Masked is propably a better page to look at.
Again: I understand that using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS isn't the best practice
to handle unstable packages. But for that specific package I see no
reason no dealing it that way.

Another thing: marking a package in /etc/portage prevents it from being
downgraded with a next emerge world or system. But it may also try to
keep it unstable which could have unpredictible results as well.

So whatever way you go you should know what you're doing. That's what I
originally meant with: RTFM.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 October 2004 01:23 pm, Heinz Sporn wrote:
> You are right. It doesn't say that explicitly.
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/Masked is propably a better page to look at.
> Again: I understand that using ACCEPT_KEYWORDS isn't the best practice
> to handle unstable packages. But for that specific package I see no
> reason no dealing it that way.

I have no idea who that is, but its wrong. Just because someone writes it on
their page, doesnt make it right.

> Another thing: marking a package in /etc/portage prevents it from being
> downgraded with a next emerge world or system. But it may also try to
> keep it unstable which could have unpredictible results as well.

No, put in there

<=media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3 ~x86

My way is still better.. ;)

> So whatever way you go you should know what you're doing. That's what I
> originally meant with: RTFM.

Well, you gave the wrong advice, so i was telling you to re-read it so you
know too..

Jeff
Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
Ok. I give up. You're god and I am only human.

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 October 2004 01:42 pm, Heinz Sporn wrote:
> Ok. I give up. You're god and I am only human.

Thanks.. ;)

BTW, on that page is clearly states:

Read this post why ACCEPT_KEYWORDS isn't the best solution: Because emerge -u
world will try to downgrade packages installed with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, it can
cause potentially fatal changes and cripple your system. The -U flag (upgrade
only) is deprecated for a very good reason - if package is broken, portage
should downgrade it, -U disallows that behaviour.

Cripple system, sounds serious to me..

Thats the page you referred me too..

Jeff
Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 14:42, Heinz Sporn wrote:
<snide remark snipped>
> Jeff Smelser schrieb:
> > On Thursday 21 October 2004 01:23 pm, Heinz Sporn wrote:
<snip>
> >>Another thing: marking a package in /etc/portage prevents it from being
> >>downgraded with a next emerge world or system. But it may also try to
> >>keep it unstable which could have unpredictible results as well.
> >

> > No, put in there
> >
> > <=media-plugins/xmms-wma-1.0.3 ~x86
> >
> > My way is still better.. ;)

I forgot this thread was about a plugin package rather than XMMS
itsself. I doubt that my post would do what you want, but the plugin
unstable should pull in only whatever else is needed and not the extra
stuff.

I agree with Jeff (result is a cleaner and more stable system). I broke
my system badly several times with the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS way that took a
lot of recompiling (I even had to do a complete re-install once, but I
was planning re-building my workbox anyhow) but never by using the
/etc/portage/package.keyword way (except the occasional specific package
emerged this way had bugs that needed reporting).

HTH

Re: XMMS [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 21 October 2004 10:57 am, Holly Bostick wrote:

> If you *think you want* the unstable version of a package (but are not
> sure it's going to work, for whatever reason), you should install it
> with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, but *if it works and you're going to keep it* you
> should then put it in /etc/portage/package.keywords.

I dont agree. The problem with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS, your esentially telling it to
use ~x86 on any package its going to build instead of ~x86 on just the
package your installing..

So, if your install just that package, sure, but as soon as it needs a
dependency you dont have, its going to be ~x86 as well, then your opening the
problem up even more.

The big problem came when people decided to do this, and then use -U to keep
it from downgrading.. This lead to several problems.

Its just a bad idea no matter how you look at it, other then being lazy.

Jeff