Wat can i do so i can play Starcraft?

TIA
Patrick

Re: Starcraft and wine [was wine troubles] [ In reply to ]
Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
> My problems with wine are related to Starcraft.
> I have installed 20040716, when i run setup.exe from the strcraft cdrom i've got a error "No program start menu found" after some searching and help from this list i have followd this advice:
> http://xstonedogx.blogspot.com/ with say to create a registry entry. This works fine and i can run setup.exe, but at the end of the install Starcraft want to create a shortcut into the startmenu, and yes its won't work and the installation is revert.
>
> Wat can i do so i can play Starcraft?

What about killing the wine processes hard at the point where it tries
to create the shortcuts?

# killall wine-ktrhead

-- Remy

Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.

Re: Re: Starcraft and wine [was wine troubles] [ In reply to ]
Remy Blank wrote:
> Patrick Marquetecken wrote:
>
>>My problems with wine are related to Starcraft.
>>I have installed 20040716, when i run setup.exe from the strcraft cdrom i've got a error "No program start menu found" after some searching and help from this list i have followd this advice:
>>http://xstonedogx.blogspot.com/ with say to create a registry entry. This works fine and i can run setup.exe, but at the end of the install Starcraft want to create a shortcut into the startmenu, and yes its won't work and the installation is revert.
>>
>>Wat can i do so i can play Starcraft?
>

> What about killing the wine processes hard at the point where it tries
> to create the shortcuts?
>
> # killall wine-ktrhead
>
> -- Remy

That might work (I don't know one way or the other), but if the program
is saying that no Start Menu folder is found, wouldn't the first thing
to do be to check if this folder exists, and create it if not?

I suspect Wine is like echo in this-- it will create the file if it
doesn't exist, but won't/can't create the folder that should contain the
file if that doesn't exist. Whether this folder is created by default
seems to depend on which Wine (Wine, CX, WineX or Cedega), which version
(by date), and which method of install (cvs, ebuild, or direct source
build).

The folder that the program is looking for is *\Start Menu\Programs.
What the * stands for depends on what version of Windows you're
emulating; if Win 9x, it would be in the Windows folder, if 2k or XP, it
would be in (C drive)\Documents and Settings\username.

So before going any further I would hunt this folder location down and
create the "Programs" folder if it wasn't there before trying again;
failing that, if Starcraft has an option not to create such icons in the
start menu, I would disable it and see if that lets you complete the
install; failing that, I would copy a previous Windows install to my
Linux partition (or possibly not even bother) and run that with Wine.

Checking around, there do not seem to be any major installer problems
with Starcraft, insofar as they are 1) not noted on Frank's Corner
(www.frankscorner.org), and 2) there is no Loki installer for Starcraft
on liflg.sourceforge.net (get your scripts before they lose their
hosting-- <= 13 days left and counting), and those are the two main
places where an installer problem would be indicated (Frank's Corner
provides install guides for many programs, and Loki Installers for Linux
Games provides install scripts for games that run under Wine(X), but
don't install proplerly).

Hope this helps.
Holly

Re: Starcraft and wine [was wine troubles] [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:
> That might work (I don't know one way or the other), but if the program
> is saying that no Start Menu folder is found, wouldn't the first thing
> to do be to check if this folder exists, and create it if not?

Well, yes, but the folder does exist. The initial problem of the OP was
that a registry entry containing the location of that folder is missing
when Wine is installed, and has to be added by hand. I had the same
problem when installing Warcraft III RoC.

His second problem now seems to be that the Starcraft installer reverts
the install if it cannot create the shortcuts. Warcraft was easier
because it just showed an error message and quit. I didn't need the
shortcuts anyway, so I didn't investigate further, but I noticed that
the installer was able to create web links in the start menu (with
.url extension), but was unable to create shortcuts (.lnk extension).
No idea why.

Re: Re: Starcraft and wine [was wine troubles] [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:49:22 +0200
Remy Blank <remy.blank_asps@pobox.com> wrote:

> Holly Bostick wrote:
> > That might work (I don't know one way or the other), but if the program
> > is saying that no Start Menu folder is found, wouldn't the first thing
> > to do be to check if this folder exists, and create it if not?
>
> Well, yes, but the folder does exist. The initial problem of the OP was
> that a registry entry containing the location of that folder is missing
> when Wine is installed, and has to be added by hand. I had the same
> problem when installing Warcraft III RoC.
>
> His second problem now seems to be that the Starcraft installer reverts
> the install if it cannot create the shortcuts. Warcraft was easier
> because it just showed an error message and quit. I didn't need the
> shortcuts anyway, so I didn't investigate further, but I noticed that
> the installer was able to create web links in the start menu (with
> .url extension), but was unable to create shortcuts (.lnk extension).
> No idea why.
>
> -- Remy

Well i have the same problem, i took a look when the error occurd and, indeed thes is a .url link in the start menu but it fails to create the link for the exe. Creating the link myself din't work.

Killing the process let the files stay, but the game is not playeble. I don't think that all the registri entries are made.

With previous version of wine i had no problem installing them, but had no sound now when the setup comes up i have sound, perhaps i could try with the latest of winehq insteed of gentoo?

Patrick