modules and there's no way to pass arguments to them - at least they
dont understand or segfault when I try and modprobe them with
arguments. I want to do the equivalent of "exclude port 0x800-0x8ff"
that pcmcia_cs would put in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts which 2.6 does not
use.

The problem is that some dell laptops suffer from corrupt kernel space
and hang when you insert a cardbus card without this exclude.

BillK

Re: pcmcia and kernel 2.6 problem [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I edited '/etc/pcmcia/config.opts' and changed the line

'include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff'

'include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff'

HTH

MPM

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:00:40 +0800, William Kenworthy
<billk@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi, can someone enlighten me on how to exclude an IO range from the
> kernel pcmcia modules (pcmcia_core, yenta_socket and ds) in kernel 2.6?
> Ive tried reading the module code and am non the wiser.
>
> It appears the kernel modules are totally different than the pcmcia_cs
> modules and there's no way to pass arguments to them - at least they
> dont understand or segfault when I try and modprobe them with
> arguments. I want to do the equivalent of "exclude port 0x800-0x8ff"
> that pcmcia_cs would put in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts which 2.6 does not
> use.
>
> The problem is that some dell laptops suffer from corrupt kernel space
> and hang when you insert a cardbus card without this exclude.
>
> BillK

Marize Pommot-Maia
marize@gmail.com

Re: pcmcia and kernel 2.6 problem [ In reply to ]
If you read that config file, you will see a note to the effect that the
2.6 pcmcia modules do not use it.

I have made it work - sort of. You need to modprobe the pcmcia_core
mdsule manually, twice with the second time having the option
"pci=bioirq" The whole thing is really weird, undocumented and just
plain silly.

BillK