Mailing List Archive

Kernel Memory Management
Hello all:

Having had some issues with my laptop, I've been doing some reading through my
personal archives of the gentoo-user mailing list on the subject of memory
management.

On Thursday 23 September 2004 11:03 pm, Collins Richey wrote:

> The first thing you should understand is that the phenomenon you are
> describing is quite normal. Linux does not as a rule free memory until
> it is needed for something else. Thus, as you continue to run various
> programs during the day, memory will remain allocated until you have
> exhausted memory, then linux will reclaim what is needed to make room
> for something new. A similar principle applies for data in the I/O
> buffers. If you want to see this in action, try a find command in a
> directory with a large number of files/directories. It takes a while.
> Then repeat the same command. It takes much less time to complete,
> because much of the data needed is still in the I/O buffers.

A very good explanation for a newbie, Collins; thank you.

Still, I have some questions about why it still _feels_ as though my system is
lagging, as well as a few possible reasons why it very well may be due to a
kernel misconfiguration of my own. However, I'm unsure of the best way to fix
them.

After running a significantly taxing process such as a compile, or moving
large 1.1 GB files across various partitions on my file system (Neverwinter
Nights is ungodly huge, even when tarballed), I find that my 1 GB of RAM is
very nearly used up. When the process completes, or when I stop X, the
allocated RAM is still cached according to top, just as would be predicted by
Collins' above statement.

When I restart X or begin another large process, the amount of "free RAM"
stays virtually the same, ~4 MB. This makes sense, too: Linux only frees
enough cached RAM as it needs; therefore, the amount of RAM freed to run the
new process is completely taken up by that new process. However, that new
process tends to run slower than before it did before running the compile.
Problem is, I don't have any numbers to prove it ... just how it _feels_.

Perhaps the problem isn't in memory management. I know that my processor has
been having problems keeping track of time. When I run dmesg, I get the
following (the first line repeats several times):

--- dmesg output ---

Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
Losing too many ticks!
TSC cannot be used as a timesource.
Possible reasons for this are:
You're running with Speedstep,
You don't have DMA enabled for your hard disk (see hdparm),
Incorrect TSC synchronization on an SMP system (see dmesg).
Falling back to a sane timesource now.

--- dmesg output ---

I'm running gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r10 on an SMP system (actually, a 3.2
Pentium 4 w/ Hyperthreading). I tried checking hdparm, and apparently, DMA is
disabled for all of my partitions, and try as I might, I cannot turn it on. I
even tried setting it to the always on position somewhere in the kernel
configuration, but it still doesn't work. TSC also appears to be a problem,
and I don't know how to check if I am in fact running with Speedstep.

I don't know if these two problems are related, or even if the first truly is
a problem.

Anyone, any ideas?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Kris Kerwin

Re: Kernel Memory Management [ In reply to ]
Sounds like you didn't enable support for your chipset in the kernel
configuration. Without DMA, disk transfers will take a WHOLE lot of
CPU and move at a painfully slow speed.

menuconfig) and under Device Drivers, go to IDE/ATAPI or something
like that chipsets and find the one you use. The output of lspci
(emerge pciutils) will tell you what chipset; if you're unsure, reply
here with the output of lspci to find out what to enable in the kernel
config. After this, reboot into the new kernel (mount /boot, cp
arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel [see handbook for full process])
and hopefully hdparm will tell you that dma was enabled and things
will speed up.

-Jeff

Re: Kernel Memory Management [ In reply to ]
Well, the DMA problem is fixed. Thank you very much Jeff.

I ran dmesg again, and didn't find any relevant information in the last couple
of lines, where the previous warning took place.

A "dmesg | grep DMA" returned:

bash-2.05b# dmesg | grep DMA
ide0: BM-DMA at 0xbfa0-0xbfa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0xbfa8-0xbfaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

All is well on the DMA front.

However, I ran a "dmesg | grep TSC", and received:

bash-2.05b# dmesg | grep TSC
checking TSC synchronization across 2 CPUs:
BIOS BUG: CPU#0 improperly initialized, has -10495 usecs TSC skew! FIXED.
BIOS BUG: CPU#1 improperly initialized, has 10495 usecs TSC skew! FIXED.

It says that it's fixed, but I'm suspscious. I'll monitor my clock for a few
days, and if it starts to slew off, I'll know that something is off.

In the meantime, since it says that it's a BIOS problem, can anyone think of
anything that could possible be reconfigured to fix this problem within the
BIOS?

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Kris Kerwin

Re: Kernel Memory Management [ In reply to ]
Hmm... Perhaps a BIOS upgrade might do it? Go to the support page for
either your computer manufacturer or if you built the system yourself,
look for an updated BIOS on the motherboard manufacturer's page.

Glad to help with the DMA problem.

-Jeff

Re: Kernel Memory Management [ In reply to ]
Hello all:

While it appears that the DMA on my drives has been fixed, it seems that my
processor is still having problems keeping track of time. It is currently
11:20PM local time, whilst the computer reads 8:15.

I'm going to medicate the symptom by running ntpd inside a cron job.
Ironically, I'll be using a broken clock to fix said broken clock.

In the meanwhile, does anyone have any ideas for solving the problem?

I apologize that this post got so far off topic. But still, I question if the
processor's mismanagement of the system clock has anything to do with why my
machine runs so slow.

Thanks again for your help and consideration.

Kris Kerwin

Re: Kernel Memory Management [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:25:58 -0500, Kris Kerwin <kkerwin@insightbb.com> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> While it appears that the DMA on my drives has been fixed, it seems that my
> processor is still having problems keeping track of time. It is currently
> 11:20PM local time, whilst the computer reads 8:15.
>
> I'm going to medicate the symptom by running ntpd inside a cron job.
> Ironically, I'll be using a broken clock to fix said broken clock.

You don't need cron job for ntpd. It's a daemon, that monitors and
corrects your time continuously. Just specify some time servers in
/etc/ntp.conf and start it once.