I did read an article about the proper way to set up a small network to
avoid 'emerge sync' hitting the main servers too many times which is
why I set up the nfs mount but have not been able to find the article
again with google.

Could anyone help to solve these two issues (which may not unrelated -
but I am not sure).

Regards,
Keith
Re: Portage and nfs mount [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 19 October 2004 01:17, Keith Gosse wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have nfs mounted the /usr/portage directory from my server on another
> gentoo machine. It mounts correctly.
>
> However, I am getting 'permission denied' (yes, as root!) for the /var
> directory when trying to emerge software. I _suspect_ this is related
> to the nfs mount.
>
> I did read an article about the proper way to set up a small network to
> avoid 'emerge sync' hitting the main servers too many times which is
> why I set up the nfs mount but have not been able to find the article
> again with google.
>
> Could anyone help to solve these two issues (which may not unrelated -
> but I am not sure).
>
> Regards,
> Keith

check your /etc/exports...make sure you have rw, no_root_squash and you might
even want to put sync on there

-cos

Re: Portage and nfs mount [ In reply to ]

Re: Portage and nfs mount [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 13:17, Keith Gosse wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have nfs mounted the /usr/portage directory from my server on another
> gentoo machine. It mounts correctly.

What are you trying to do? You want to use the directory as the main
tree?

> However, I am getting 'permission denied' (yes, as root!) for the /var
> directory when trying to emerge software. I _suspect_ this is related
> to the nfs mount.

What has the /var directory got to do with the nfs mounts? /var/tmp is
where the source unpacks.

Are you trying to emerge only the softwares (meaning do the downloads
from your server or from the mirrors?)

> I did read an article about the proper way to set up a small network to
> avoid 'emerge sync' hitting the main servers too many times which is
> why I set up the nfs mount but have not been able to find the article
> again with google.

IIRC, it should be something like, create a rsync server on the "server"
and sync it to the client machine.

IIRC,
echo RSYNC://serverIP/directory >> /etc/make.conf

(guys, pls jump in with the correct syntax)

> Could anyone help to solve these two issues (which may not unrelated -
> but I am not sure).
>
> Regards,
> Keith

Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 13:45:48 up 4:21, 9 users, load average: 0.85, 0.85, 0.75

Re: Portage and nfs mount [ In reply to ]
Keith Gosse wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have nfs mounted the /usr/portage directory from my server on another
> gentoo machine. It mounts correctly.
>
> However, I am getting 'permission denied' (yes, as root!) for the /var
> directory when trying to emerge software. I _suspect_ this is related
> to the nfs mount.
>
> I did read an article about the proper way to set up a small network to
> avoid 'emerge sync' hitting the main servers too many times which is why
> I set up the nfs mount but have not been able to find the article again
> with google.
>
> Could anyone help to solve these two issues (which may not unrelated -
> but I am not sure).

Looks like Portage is trying to download something, which will go into
/usr/portage/distfiles. If you don't have 'no_root_squash' in your
/etc/exports on your server, this is what fails.

If you don't have your /var also nfs-mounted, there should be no problem for
portage accessing /var. This applies also to /var/tmp/portage, which is the
working directory where sources are unpacked, configured and compiled.

HTH, greetings
Felix

Re: Portage and nfs mount [ In reply to ]
On Oct 18, 2004, at 10:48 PM, Ow Mun Heng wrote:

> What are you trying to do? You want to use the directory as the main
> tree?
Yes, I have a mount of the share /usr/portage from the server on the
workstation and use that on my workstation and server for upgrades and
software installs. (at least that was the plan until root got banned
from the directory /var/tmp)

> What has the /var directory got to do with the nfs mounts? /var/tmp is
> where the source unpacks.
Yes and I am not sure what's going on here _except_ that everything
worked perfectly until I set up the nfs mount and started to use it.
(Checked the no_root_squash) - it is there in /etc/exports).

Am I goofing things up because when a emerge sync is done on the server
and the tree is updated, that update doesn't happen on the workstation
machine - the software is there via nfs but the update is written on
the server (a guess).

> Are you trying to emerge only the softwares (meaning do the downloads
> from your server or from the mirrors?)
emerge sync is run on the server but the software emerge is run on both
the server and the desktop (as above, does that mean that really the
desktop machine is _out_ of sync?)

> IIRC,
> echo RSYNC://serverIP/directory >> /etc/make.conf
A google for this line gave me no clues as to what to do- Now, if I had
only bookmarked that article so long ago . . . I wouldn't have to rely
on a very fuzzy memory
:-)
Keith

Re: Portage and nfs mount [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 23:56, Keith Gosse wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2004, at 10:48 PM, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> >
> > What are you trying to do? You want to use the directory as the main
> > tree?
> Yes, I have a mount of the share /usr/portage from the server on the
> workstation and use that on my workstation and server for upgrades and
> software installs. (at least that was the plan until root got banned
> from the directory /var/tmp)

I see... Do you have enough space then. Stupid question but...

> Am I goofing things up because when a emerge sync is done on the server
> and the tree is updated, that update doesn't happen on the workstation
> machine - the software is there via nfs but the update is written on
> the server (a guess).

You know. that might be true only if it tries to DL updates from the Net
rather than the server. (because the client's portage tree is old)

One method which I can think about (since I can't remember the rsync
syntax, is to use tar and ssh)

eg:
cd /mnt/server/usr/portage
tar --exclude distfiles -lcvvf - . | (cd /usr/portage/; tar -xpvf - )

If not mistaken, this would sync up the portage tree (I've not done this
before, so YMMV)

> > Are you trying to emerge only the softwares (meaning do the downloads
> > from your server or from the mirrors?)
> emerge sync is run on the server but the software emerge is run on both
> the server and the desktop (as above, does that mean that really the
> desktop machine is _out_ of sync?)

Yes. but again, this should matter. It would only DL older versions of
the software.

So, for your problems I have no idea what to suggest.

Try this... mount /server/var/tmp and see how it goes. Other than that,
I'm stumped.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 09:56:33 up 38 min, 9 users, load average: 1.47, 1.71, 1.89