Mailing List Archive

OT: My Gentoo Review
Ladies and Gentlemen:

This e-mail is my initial thoughts on Gentoo. I write it as an
encouragement to the list and to the Gentoo developers. Take it FWIW.
Skip it if you'd rather not be bothered... after all it *is* "preaching to
the choir."

I began Linux with Fedora 1 this past spring. I started playing with linux
because I enjoy doing scientific computing, and there appear to be many
such *affordable* resources in the *nix community. I also started playing
with Linux after having re-installed Windows ME for the 2nd or 3rd time
because of viruses, adware, and lack of user control. (I.e. what the kids
do to the computer.)

Fedora is a nice start. Excellent installer. Good user list. Good set of
packages. OK package management.

Being unhappy with yum, rpm, and the limitations of Red Hat's configuration
programs (this is not a knock on those tools - they are very capable and
user-friendly)... I started looking around.

I came to Gentoo because I like the idea of a compiled distro. I didn't
like RPMs, especially when they don't work. Actually, compiling tarballs
seemed more reliable at times since you can do problem solving to make them
work. I couldn't figure out how to make yum work the way I wanted.

I kibitzed the gentoo-user and gentoo-amd64 list for several months before
purchasing a laptop. This past week I got the laptop and installed Gentoo
via 2004.2 universal (stage 1). (Yes, I know I only needed the minimal.)

GENTOO IS AN EXCELLENT DISTRO!

Here are the things I like the most:

1. emerge
Wow! What a great package management tool! And it's a great concept,
too... building on the standard unix distribution method. It's a great
concept, and it works great, too. Who cares if it's compiled... it WORKS!
For the love of god: IT WORKS! I've run into a few quirks, but they're
probably user-error.

2. gentoo-user
You guys are great! You're calm. You're humorous. You're helpful. Not
near as many flames over here as on some other distro lists.
And thank you ALL for your help in getting me up and running fully. To
help the community I plan to post an install report at
www.linux-on-laptop.net.

3. compiled
I don't know if I have any performance gains yet... it's hard to tell
because I'm not comparing apples-to-apples. I'm waiting a couple weeks
before prelinking while I add my packages.

4. no interference
Wow! Since Fedora is customizing this for their target user-base...
corporate Gnome users... running KDE in Fedora is less than ideal. KDE 3.3
is very nice. I'm also glad to be rid of other "vendor customizations"
that made it hard to learn and update the system.

...very nice.

SUGGESTION:

install script
I knew what I was getting into with installing Gentoo... and I *chose* to
do a stage 1. I knew it would be a long and tedious install. In fact... I
even tried to do a GRP install on an old 486 that I had. I was not caught
by surprise. But I can appreciate the value of a long install with the
promise of not having to do it again. (Which is what Gentoo promises
through emerge.)
However, it might be valuable to provide some manner of installer... if for
anything just to keep me from having to retype all those commands. I can
even envision a menu-driven interface (like the kernel's menuconfig) which
outputs an install script. A good example is the Slinky installer from the
R.U.L.E. project (www.rule-project.org). This also might help reach out to
newer users.
This is not to obsolete the current install method... but to complement it.

Peace,
Gabriel

--
G a b r i e l M . B e d d i n g f i e l d

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
Well put!
I think that your very correct about the last idea.
Thank you for choosing Linux!
Ian

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
> I began Linux with Fedora 1 this past spring. I started playing with linux
> because I enjoy doing scientific computing, and there appear to be many
> such *affordable* resources in the *nix community. I also started playing
> with Linux after having re-installed Windows ME for the 2nd or 3rd time
> because of viruses, adware, and lack of user control. (I.e. what the kids
> do to the computer.)

You don't compare Linux with Windows ME, don't you?

> Fedora is a nice start. Excellent installer. Good user list. Good set of
> packages. OK package management.
>
> Being unhappy with yum, rpm, and the limitations of Red Hat's configuration
> programs (this is not a knock on those tools - they are very capable and
> user-friendly)... I started looking around.

Imagine you have Fedora for 2 years. Than it will be outdated, and you
will have to update. Usually, support for a distro is stopped after some
years, and where will you than get the security-updates from? Updating
the a distro-installation (i.e. from FC1 to FC2) often breaks things.

Gentoo doesn't have that problem. At least i hope, that a Gentoo-System
will still be working in a few years, and until now, i havane't been
disappointed.

> I came to Gentoo because I like the idea of a compiled distro. I didn't
> like RPMs, especially when they don't work. Actually, compiling tarballs
> seemed more reliable at times since you can do problem solving to make them
> work. I couldn't figure out how to make yum work the way I wanted.

And it's easy to write your own ebuilds. I must admit, that i wouldn't
know how to write my own SPEC-files to build my own (S)RPMs, and since i
know Gentoo now, i don't want to know anything about RPMs anymore.

> 1. emerge
> Wow! What a great package management tool! And it's a great concept,
> too... building on the standard unix distribution method. It's a great
> concept, and it works great, too. Who cares if it's compiled... it WORKS!
> For the love of god: IT WORKS! I've run into a few quirks, but they're
> probably user-error.

The portage (=emerge) is far from perfect. Besides it features, it still
has some conceptional weaknesses.
On the other hand, it is the best system i know. So as long as there is
nothing better, i will use Gentoo.

> install script
> I knew what I was getting into with installing Gentoo... and I *chose* to
> do a stage 1. I knew it would be a long and tedious install. In fact... I
> even tried to do a GRP install on an old 486 that I had. I was not caught
> by surprise. But I can appreciate the value of a long install with the
> promise of not having to do it again. (Which is what Gentoo promises
> through emerge.)

Gentoo can be easily pre-compiled within a chroot-jail. Simply use any
running Linux-Installation you have, unpack a stage1, chroot into that
dir, and do what ever you do to install gentoo.
You will have a compiled, ready-to-run system in that directory, and
switching to gentoo can be done in seconds if everything is prepared well.

> However, it might be valuable to provide some manner of installer... if for
> anything just to keep me from having to retype all those commands. I can
> even envision a menu-driven interface (like the kernel's menuconfig) which
> outputs an install script. A good example is the Slinky installer from the
> R.U.L.E. project (www.rule-project.org). This also might help reach out to
> newer users.
> This is not to obsolete the current install method... but to complement it.

For exampel today, i ran into troubles boostrapping a stage1, since
glibc depends in linux26-headers, and the 2004.2-stage1 comes with
linux-headers which block linux26-headers. So the bootstrap-scripts
won't work, and i had to workaround the porblem. An Installer wouldn't
help much here in this case. An installer would typically use the
existing scripts, and since they don't work 100% in every case, an
installer would be very frustrating for newbee-users, since they'd
expect the installer to run cleanly.

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 07:51, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> Fedora is a nice start. Excellent installer. Good user list. Good set of
> packages. OK package management.
Actually, I believe package management in gentoo is superior. No more
looking around for yum/apt mirrors. Everything's compiled from source,
you get the latest stuffs, no more headache about where which files goes
where.

1 thing I've always hated about RH/FC is RPMs and SPEC files and where
each file goes. I can do a source install, but then I have no idea how
it will break things. eg: Does this file go to /usr or /usr/local or
/opt or...

Does Gentoo Have this problem?? I don't know. I'm a gentoo newbie. 2
weeks old only.

> 1. emerge
> Wow! What a great package management tool! And it's a great concept,
> too... building on the standard unix distribution method. It's a great
Again, using source means no need to hunt around for rpms. I like that.
The added speed bonus is nice too.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:05:37 +0800, Ow Mun Heng <ow.mun.heng@wdc.com> wrote:

> 1 thing I've always hated about RH/FC is RPMs and SPEC files and where
> each file goes. I can do a source install, but then I have no idea how
> it will break things. eg: Does this file go to /usr or /usr/local or
> /opt or...
>
> Does Gentoo Have this problem?? I don't know. I'm a gentoo newbie. 2
> weeks old only.

Most source packages are set by default to install into /usr/local
where they can do little harm. gentoo does not put anything in
/usr/local. You can use /usr/local as your own playground as $DEITY
intended it without interfering with standard packages.

--
/\/\
(CR) Collins Richey

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
What is it with everyone and Windows Millenium?
Its no worse then 98se.
Of course, Linux is better, but ME is probably one of the better
versions of Windows.
Go ahead and Flame me, i dont really care. :)
Ian

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:23:42 -0600, Ian K <omega_2_1@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> What is it with everyone and Windows Millenium?
> Its no worse then 98se.
> Of course, Linux is better, but ME is probably one of the better
> versions of Windows.
> Go ahead and Flame me, i dont really care. :)
> Ian

No need to flame, Ian. Windows ME was the biggest pile of crap ever in
the windows series. Yes it had a few more features than 98se (which
was relatively stable), but it was totally unstable. I've never
encountered anyone who used it without cursing it.

--
/\/\

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
Ian K wrote:

> What is it with everyone and Windows Millenium?
> Its no worse then 98se.
> Of course, Linux is better, but ME is probably one of the better
> versions of Windows.
> Go ahead and Flame me, i dont really care. :)

Subjectively, ME seems a little less stable than 98. IMHO, neither is
reliable.

Objectively, I've used NT and 2000 for the past 7 years at work, and have
found them to be reliable and stable operating systems. So, I disagree
that ME is one of the better ones. Any in the NT-line (NT,2000,XP) are
very good operating systems.

And yes, Linux *is* better if you enjoy working under the hood.

--
G a b r i e l M . B e d d i n g f i e l d

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 17, 2004 at 09:32:16PM -0600, Collins Richey wrote the following:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:23:42 -0600, Ian K <omega_2_1@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > What is it with everyone and Windows Millenium?
> > Its no worse then 98se.
> > Of course, Linux is better, but ME is probably one of the better
> > versions of Windows.
> > Go ahead and Flame me, i dont really care. :)
> > Ian
>
> No need to flame, Ian. Windows ME was the biggest pile of crap ever in
> the windows series. Yes it had a few more features than 98se (which
> was relatively stable), but it was totally unstable. I've never
> encountered anyone who used it without cursing it.

I've had uptimes in excess of 5 days with WinME. I actually like it better
then even XP or 2K. I had no problems with ME. Not sure why everyone else
does. *shrugs*

--
AIM: pres CTHULHU | ICQ: 18115568 | Yahoo: pagan_prince
Jabber: DarkKnightRadick@(jabber.org|amessage.at) | Libertarian @ Large
Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
Sven Köhler wrote:

> You don't compare Linux with Windows ME, don't you?

Heh, heh...

> The portage (=emerge) is far from perfect. Besides it features, it still
> has some conceptional weaknesses.
> On the other hand, it is the best system i know. So as long as there is
> nothing better, i will use Gentoo.

Reminds me of a quote:

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world
of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise.
Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government
except all those others that have been tried from time to time."
~Winston Churchill

>> even envision a menu-driven interface (like the kernel's menuconfig)
>> which
>> outputs an install script. A good example is the Slinky installer from
>
> For exampel today, i ran into troubles boostrapping a stage1, since
> glibc depends in linux26-headers, and the 2004.2-stage1 comes with
> linux-headers which block linux26-headers. So the bootstrap-scripts
> won't work, and i had to workaround the porblem. An Installer wouldn't
> help much here in this case. An installer would typically use the
> existing scripts, and since they don't work 100% in every case, an
> installer would be very frustrating for newbee-users, since they'd
> expect the installer to run cleanly.

Yep. Though even if Gentoo is philosophically unfit for newbies... I know
that *I* would appreciate such a script for the _next_ time I do an
install.

--
G a b r i e l M . B e d d i n g f i e l d

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Ian K wrote:

> What is it with everyone and Windows Millenium?
> Its no worse then 98se.
> Of course, Linux is better, but ME is probably one of the better
> versions of Windows.
> Go ahead and Flame me, i dont really care. :)
> Ian

<flame> Windows ME is inferior to even Windows 95a without the DUN
patches.
</flame>

I'm joking yet somewhat serious. ME was such a step backwards that there
were cases when I would have prefered to have 95 over that bloated piece
of crap. Mostly when people wanted to know why I was formating their
machine and replacing ME with 98SE. No one ever minded when I did that to
their 95 machine. :)

kashani

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:51:54 -0500 "Gabriel M. Beddingfield"
<gabriel@teuton.org> wrote:
| 3. compiled
| I don't know if I have any performance gains yet... it's hard to tell
| because I'm not comparing apples-to-apples. I'm waiting a couple
| weeks before prelinking while I add my packages.

We don't compile things for performance. We compile them for
flexibility.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 15:18, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:51:54 -0500 "Gabriel M. Beddingfield"
> <gabriel@teuton.org> wrote:
> | 3. compiled
> | I don't know if I have any performance gains yet... it's hard to tell
> | because I'm not comparing apples-to-apples. I'm waiting a couple
> | weeks before prelinking while I add my packages.
>
> We don't compile things for performance. We compile them for
> flexibility.

How So? Please explain.
I always thought that one added(?) benefit to source compilation was
that, (yeah. we have the flexibility) to say we want to compile it with
So and So Options.?

So.. performance is an afterthought?

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 15:48:11 up 6:46, 10 users, load average: 0.29, 0.81, 1.14

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
Collins Richey wrote:
<snip>

> Most source packages are set by default to install into /usr/local
> where they can do little harm. gentoo does not put anything in
> /usr/local. You can use /usr/local as your own playground as $DEITY
> intended it without interfering with standard packages.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, may I say how much I love the use of
$DEITY as an environment variable (which in fact is proper usage, based
on observation).

Geeks forge a major step forwards towards world peace.... yay, us!

;-)

Holly

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
Collins Richey wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:23:42 -0600, Ian K <omega_2_1@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
>>What is it with everyone and Windows Millenium?
>>Its no worse then 98se.
>>Of course, Linux is better, but ME is probably one of the better
>>versions of Windows.
>>Go ahead and Flame me, i dont really care. :)
>>Ian
>

> No need to flame, Ian. Windows ME was the biggest pile of crap ever in
> the windows series. Yes it had a few more features than 98se (which
> was relatively stable), but it was totally unstable. I've never
> encountered anyone who used it without cursing it.

I can add to that that every 'inexperienced' user I've met who used it
also cursed it. It was so bad that even people who didn't know anything
about computer OSes found it bad.
<shudder>.

A shame really, because it very much needed to be good (there was
certainly a gaping hole in the Windows lineage that it needed to fill),
but it not only failed at that, but failed at even being as stable as
98se (which is pretty sad, given that 98se was not the most stable stool
at the table).

> Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote:

>> I've had uptimes in excess of 5 days with WinME.

And this is a compliment? Your big gun as to why it's a good system? OK,
woo-hoo!

:-D (lol)

Holly

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:49:08 +0800, Ow Mun Heng <ow.mun.heng@wdc.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-10-18 at 15:18, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:51:54 -0500 "Gabriel M. Beddingfield"
> > <gabriel@teuton.org> wrote:
> > | 3. compiled
> > | I don't know if I have any performance gains yet... it's hard to tell
> > | because I'm not comparing apples-to-apples. I'm waiting a couple
> > | weeks before prelinking while I add my packages.
> >
> > We don't compile things for performance. We compile them for
> > flexibility.
>
> How So? Please explain.
> I always thought that one added(?) benefit to source compilation was
> that, (yeah. we have the flexibility) to say we want to compile it with
> So and So Options.?
>
> So.. performance is an afterthought?
>
> --
> Ow Mun Heng
> Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
> 2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
> Neuromancer 15:48:11 up 6:46, 10 users, load average: 0.29, 0.81, 1.14

From my understanding, compiling from source adds flexibility through
the USE flags. Take a look at mlpayer for instance (emerge -pv
mplayer). It uses a ton of USE flags, each of which changes what you
get after it's compiled. Do the math and you'll see just how many
possible outputs you can get from an mplayer compile.

Now, try giving that number of binary packages, one for each possible
combination of USE flags. HUGE number of binary packages for just one
app. Most distros only give you one package per app (from my
experience).

Thus, flexibility. Flexibility to have the features you want and no more.

-Andy

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> How So? Please explain.
> I always thought that one added(?) benefit to source compilation was
> that, (yeah. we have the flexibility) to say we want to compile it with
> So and So Options.?
>
> So.. performance is an afterthought?

Most software comes with a configure script with plenty of options. A
binary distro has to choose all those options for their users. In most
cases the devs would try to enable all features in a package, making it
dependent on a lot of packages.

In gentoo, portage configures the package by itself, hence it has a
dynamic list of dependencies (based on your USE variable). That's the
reason *I* like gentoo the most.

Christoph
--
echo mailto: NOSPAM !#$.'<*>'|sed 's. ..'|tr "<*> !#:2" org@fr33z3

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
<gabriel@teuton.org> wrote:
> I began Linux with Fedora 1 this past spring. I started playing with linux
> because I enjoy doing scientific computing, and there appear to be many
> such *affordable* resources in the *nix community. I also started playing
> with Linux after having re-installed Windows ME for the 2nd or 3rd time
> because of viruses, adware, and lack of user control. (I.e. what the kids
> do to the computer.)

ME is the biggest pile of crap every put out my M$. Enough said.

> install script
> I knew what I was getting into with installing Gentoo... and I *chose* to
> do a stage 1. I knew it would be a long and tedious install. In fact... I
> even tried to do a GRP install on an old 486 that I had. I was not caught
> by surprise. But I can appreciate the value of a long install with the
> promise of not having to do it again. (Which is what Gentoo promises
> through emerge.)
> However, it might be valuable to provide some manner of installer... if for
> anything just to keep me from having to retype all those commands. I can
> even envision a menu-driven interface (like the kernel's menuconfig) which
> outputs an install script. A good example is the Slinky installer from the
> R.U.L.E. project (www.rule-project.org). This also might help reach out to
> newer users.
> This is not to obsolete the current install method... but to complement it.
>
> Peace,
> Gabriel

I have to strongly disagree with this suggestion. This is part of the
reason why I like gentoo so much. I learned a lot about linux while
doing the gentoo install. There really isn't that much you need to
type anyways.

-Josh

RE: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
>> However, it might be valuable to provide some manner of installer... if
for
>> anything just to keep me from having to retype all those commands. I can
>> even envision a menu-driven interface (like the kernel's menuconfig) which
>> outputs an install script. A good example is the Slinky installer from the
>> R.U.L.E. project (www.rule-project.org). This also might help reach out to
>> newer users.
>> This is not to obsolete the current install method... but to complement
it.

>> Peace,
>> Gabriel
>
>I have to strongly disagree with this suggestion. This is part of the
>reason why I like gentoo so much. I learned a lot about linux while
>doing the gentoo install. There really isn't that much you need to
>type anyways.
>
>-Josh

But since Gentoo is about choice, I think it would be great to be able to
choose from using the command line or some sort of installer.

If having an installer means that people who "choose" not to understand Linux
or Gentoo use it anyway, then World Domination would be that bit closer to
happening :-)

Something I read ages ago about GUI tools for System Administration said that
SysAdmin GUIs should always show you what underlying commands are being run,
that way you can still learn things via using the GUI. A Gentoo installer
would certainly be more useful to newbies if it did something like this.

Alain

Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 16:27:25 +0100 "Trembleau, Alain"
<alain.trembleau@csfb.com> wrote:
| But since Gentoo is about choice, I think it would be great to be able
| to choose from using the command line or some sort of installer.

The phrase "Gentoo is about choice" is not in itself justification for
any action.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
wrote:
| > We don't compile things for performance. We compile them for
| > flexibility.
|
| How So? Please explain.
| I always thought that one added(?) benefit to source compilation was
| that, (yeah. we have the flexibility) to say we want to compile it
| with So and So Options.?

Exactly. USE flags are what makes building from source worthwhile. If we
just use preset options the same as everyone else, we could just as
easily ship a bunch of debian packages built for a specific CPU.

| So.. performance is an afterthought?

Mostly, yup. It makes a lot more of a difference on some non-x86 archs
-- we gain something like a 30% to 60% performance boost over debian on
sparcv9, for example. On x86 it does pretty much zilch, and anyone who
spends more than about thirty seconds messing with CFLAGS has grasped
the wrong end of the stick.

--
Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, Sparc, Mips)
Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
Sven Köhler <skoehler <at> upb.de> writes:

> And it's easy to write your own ebuilds.

Hmmmmm. Let's see. I would agree with this, once my first attempt
is successful. I agree it does look straightforward, but things can be
somewhat
intimidating.

Take a package written in PHP (jffnms) for example. It's a really
excellent package for network management. The primary developer,
Javier, even uses Gentoo systems. In the JFFNMS-todo-list, creating
the ebuild, is most prominently listed.

This would be an excellent package to add to the Gentoo arsenal of
softwareweaponry, particularly useful in managing routers, servers
and a slew of snmp type microprocessor based devices. You could
(easily I believe is the operable term) create the ebuild for this
wonderful package. I'm willing to pay you $400.
(USD), or donate the money to Gentoo if you like, as I have been
struggling with jffnms for some time. The larger Gentoo community
would benefit, and I would beable to feed my kids for another week
or two.... I have to confess, I have been less than diligent in this
efforts...Kinda like an interruptprocess with no return vector.....

It'd be great to create a 'howto build an ebuild' using JFFNMS as an
example! Something 'brain dead' for those of us faced with declining
cerebrial skills. I'd even be willing to take on maintenace of the
package, as it espouses manythings that I'm learning about and keenly
interested in.

Yes I've looked at 'usr/portage/skel.ebuild' and
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=0
<Time, kids, clients, hurricanes, and a nagging wife are the real
culprits here>

PS. I got $400 (USD) burning a hole in my pocket on this one!

sincerely
James

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]
I have to strongly disagree. I work technical support for a living.
When I ask the user what OS they have, and they say Windows ME, I die
a little inside. I >know< that it's going to be an incredibly long
call. The one good thing about it is that it has the CAB files
installed by default, so you can usually reinstall networking
components a lot easier.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 21:23:42 -0600, Ian K <omega_2_1@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> What is it with everyone and Windows Millenium?
> Its no worse then 98se.
> Of course, Linux is better, but ME is probably one of the better
> versions of Windows.
> Go ahead and Flame me, i dont really care. :)
> Ian
>
> Sven Köhler wrote:
>
> >> I began Linux with Fedora 1 this past spring. I started playing with
> >> linux
> >> because I enjoy doing scientific computing, and there appear to be many
> >> such *affordable* resources in the *nix community. I also started
> >> playing
> >> with Linux after having re-installed Windows ME for the 2nd or 3rd time
> >> because of viruses, adware, and lack of user control. (I.e. what the
> >> kids
> >> do to the computer.)
> >

> > You don't compare Linux with Windows ME, don't you?
> >

> > --

Abe Al-Saleh
And then came the Apocolypse. It actually wasn't that
bad, everyone got the day off and there were barbeques
all around.

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: OT: My Gentoo Review [ In reply to ]