Thank you very much.
Linux, Rock on!
Ian
Re: CPU fan control? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 20:41:43 -0600, Ian K <omega_2_1@yahoo.ca> wrote:
> Hello.
> I know this is slightly off topic from Gentoo, but everyone here is so
> intelligent, I thought what the heck.
> I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDX laptop. I have upped the RAM from
> 16MB to 80MB.
> I want to know if anyone knows if I can somehow control the state of my
> fan. You know, on/off.
> Thank you very much.
> Linux, Rock on!
> Ian

You might want to start here:
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/toshiba/

I'm not sure if they work with your model, but this is one of the main
sources of Toshiba laptop tools. :-)
--
Ed

Re: CPU fan control? [ In reply to ]
On 20:41 Thu 14 Oct , Ian K wrote:
> Hello.
> I know this is slightly off topic from Gentoo, but everyone here is so
> intelligent, I thought what the heck.
> I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro 445CDX laptop. I have upped the RAM from
> 16MB to 80MB.
> I want to know if anyone knows if I can somehow control the state of my
> fan. You know, on/off.
> Thank you very much.
> Linux, Rock on!
> Ian

Yes. If your kernel is properly configured, just emerge acpitool.
$ acpitool -F1 turns the fan on. I've got a Toshiba too. Hope this
helps.
Re: CPU fan control? [ In reply to ]
Thanks alot.
I think I will try emerging the toshiba-utils package. (i believe thats
the ebuild name)
It is basically a set of utilitys that can control that kind of thing.
If it doesn't work
I will try your method.
Thanks again!
Ian