Mailing List Archive

placing syslogd logs into postgresql
I was woundering if anyone knew of any program or scripts to place
syslogd logs into postgresql database

Re: placing syslogd logs into postgresql [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 14 October 2004 10:46 am, asolomon15 wrote:
> I was woundering if anyone knew of any program or scripts to place
> syslogd logs into postgresql database

syslklogd-sql does.. I have it here.. Works great.

No ebuild for it though..

Jeff
Re: placing syslogd logs into postgresql [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 23:46, asolomon15 wrote:
> I was woundering if anyone knew of any program or scripts to place
> syslogd logs into postgresql database
There's a howto at

www.eradman.com

You'll have to search for it. I have it PDF'ed if you want.

Re: placing syslogd logs into postgresql [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 October 2004 21:45, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-14 at 23:46, asolomon15 wrote:
> > I was woundering if anyone knew of any program or scripts to place
> > syslogd logs into postgresql database
>
> There's a howto at
>
> www.eradman.com
>
> You'll have to search for it. I have it PDF'ed if you want.

What would be the advantage of doing this?
Wayne

Re: placing syslogd logs into postgresql [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 19 October 2004 08:44 am, Spencer wrote:

> What would be the advantage of doing this?

Here is a list off the top of my head. So there probably be more.

1. There is nothing better then when I need to find something in my logs
finding the power of SQL to be able to do it, matches no other.. I could pick
date ranges to look at, anything..

2. If your hacked into, and they remove themselves from your log files,
chances are they are not gonna realize your logging to mysql/psql.. You will
still have your logs.. Or they have to start hacking into many machines
considering my Db is on another server and two replicated hosts.. ;)

3. I can leave a longer lifespan of syslogs around since my DB server is quite
large.. This enables my gateway box to remain small and compact.. (its only a
586).

Thats my biggest reasons.. I am sure others could think of more.

Jeff