Mailing List Archive

Broke system bootup: udev-035?
Hey all,

I'm running ~x86 and 2.6.9-rc2-mm3 and something broke my system bootup.

I got the issue resolved and so don't really care anymore, and since I'm
running but I thought I'd let the community know for info's sake. (I know
that I'm grateful for the fixes people post to this list.)

After upgrading udev (and maybe other stuff), I get a critical error on
startup after a bazillion "cannot change owner, object doesn't exist" or
somethign like that for a whole bunch of /dev entries. I resolved the
issue by booting a 2.4 kernel, mounting /var (mount /var), remount / (mount
-o remount /), downgrading udev (echo =sys-fs/udev-035
>> /etc/portage/package.mask; emerge udev), (not sure if the preceeding is
necessary), rebooting to 2.6 logging into single user mode, remounting /
(mount -o remount /), deleting or moving /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2,
rebooting (maybe unnecessary), recreating null and console (mknod /dev/null
c 1 3; mknod /dev/console c 5 1), tar bzipping /dev (tar
jcvpf /dev /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2) and rebooting.

I have no idea why I had to do this, but it works and that's just the way
things are I guess.

So if this happens, you or your grandmother whose machine you installed
Gentoo ~x86 on ain't got no excuse to not fix up your box and be back up in
no time. (cat dead.letter > /dev/granny)

--
And another thing... glibc-2.3.4.20041006 won't compile so I'm stuck with
2.3.4.20040808-r1. That's just the way things are I guess.

Peace out,
-Jared