everything gets back working just as expected.

I have listed the modules right before and right after using "alsaconf",
and both lists match, that's why I think that the mixer settings are
getting lost, but I cannot find which setting is this, even using
"alsamixergui".

Any hints?

Thanks
Francisco

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
This maybe the sollution, as I also have another machine - which is
working fine - maybe I just forgot about alsasound on the other one.

I'll check that and post later

Thank you all
Francisco

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
Francisco J. A. Ares wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm using Alsa and a 2.6.7 gentoo-dev-source and an Audigy MP3 sound card.
>
> As far as I can see, all sound modules are ok, but when I start KDE, no
> sound comes out.
>
> When I, then, use "alsaconf", as it configures standard volume levels,
> everything gets back working just as expected.
>
> I have listed the modules right before and right after using "alsaconf",
> and both lists match, that's why I think that the mixer settings are
> getting lost, but I cannot find which setting is this, even using
> "alsamixergui".
>
> Any hints?
>
> Thanks
> Francisco
>
> --

Yes-- # rc-update add alsasound boot (or default)

This will add the alsasound script to your startup and shutdown events.
The alsasound script runs alsactl store (which saves the mixer levels
you set in alsamixer) at shutdown, and alsactl restore (which restores
the saved mixer levels) at bootup.

That should fix it.

Holly

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
Hi Francisco,

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
On Wed 13.10 12:46, Francisco J. A. Ares wrote:
> When I, then, use "alsaconf", as it configures standard volume levels,
> everything gets back working just as expected.
>
> I have listed the modules right before and right after using
> "alsaconf", and both lists match, that's why I think that the mixer
> settings are getting lost, but I cannot find which setting is this,
> even using "alsamixergui".

alsactl store/restore

Should be called automatically when shutting down (storing) and booting
(restoring) the levels. Make sure, alsasound is in your default start
level.

Bert

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
I had a similar problem a while back. Definitely make sure you have the
alsaound script running in your boot runlevel and that will restore your
settings. I did have the alsasound script at boot time but my settings
were still not getting restored when I logged into kde. The problem was
that kmix was restoring my values to the last values that I used with
kmix. There is an option under the setting in kmix to restore the
volumes at login. I removed that option and all was fixed upon reboot.
So maybe that is your problem. Hopefully this helps.

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
> I had a similar problem a while back. Definitely make sure you have the
> alsaound script running in your boot runlevel and that will restore your
> settings. I did have the alsasound script at boot time but my settings
> were still not getting restored when I logged into kde. The problem was
> that kmix was restoring my values to the last values that I used with
> kmix. There is an option under the setting in kmix to restore the
> volumes at login. I removed that option and all was fixed upon reboot.
> So maybe that is your problem. Hopefully this helps.

I had simillar problem but it was worse in the fact kmix did not only
save the volumes but was somehow buggy and always did something with
surround settings (swithing Line in as surround and such) which always
resulted in a state, that only oss emulation worked, and nothing that
used directly alsa ;)
Disabling kmix restoring volume worked, but I did an
alsactl -f /etc/asound.state.good store
and everytime sounds stops working, because some user for which i forgot
to disable kmix (does anyone a way to do this globaly better than
rm kmix; ln -sf /bin/true kmix ?) i just run alsactl -f /etc/... restore

--
_
YoYo () Siska web: http://www.ksp.sk/~yoyo

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
Neil Bothwick wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:12:42 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
>

>>OK.... (I don't use KDE, so I wouldn't have known this; thanks).
>>
>>And kmixer doesn't read/use the mixer settings stored by alsamixer
>>(which you would think would supercede application mixer settings,
>>being device mixer settings and all) because ....?
>>

>KDE has an option (enabled by default) to load its own mixer settings at
>startup. You can change this in the control centre.
>

>>Annoying doesn't quite cover it. That just seems *wrong*.
>>

>Linux is a multi-user OS. By setting the mixer in KDE you allow each
>user to have their own settings that override the system defaults. When
>you are the only user, it makes sense to turn this off.

That was really the problem, thank you all!

Now, as stated here by Neil, my wife can now save her whispering
settings while I can hear my favorite hard rock band out loud ;-)

Thanks again
Francisco

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 06:00:02PM +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:

> >I have listed the modules right before and right after using "alsaconf",
> >and both lists match, that's why I think that the mixer settings are
> >getting lost, but I cannot find which setting is this, even using
> >"alsamixergui".
> >Any hints?

> Yes-- # rc-update add alsasound boot (or default)
> This will add the alsasound script to your startup and shutdown events.
> The alsasound script runs alsactl store (which saves the mixer levels
> you set in alsamixer) at shutdown, and alsactl restore (which restores
> the saved mixer levels) at bootup.
> That should fix it.

It won't. KDE will reset the mixer settings on startup if kmixer is
installed. The solution is to set the mixer settings in kmixer, too.

Quite annoying.

--
'Objektivität ist das, wovon wir uns wünschen, daß andere Leute es
anderen Leuten gegenüber an den Tag legen.'

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]

Re: mixer setting get lost [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:12:42 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:

> OK.... (I don't use KDE, so I wouldn't have known this; thanks).
>
> And kmixer doesn't read/use the mixer settings stored by alsamixer
> (which you would think would supercede application mixer settings,
> being device mixer settings and all) because ....?

KDE has an option (enabled by default) to load its own mixer settings at
startup. You can change this in the control centre.

> Annoying doesn't quite cover it. That just seems *wrong*.

Linux is a multi-user OS. By setting the mixer in KDE you allow each
user to have their own settings that override the system defaults. When
you are the only user, it makes sense to turn this off.

--
Neil Bothwick

Where the system is concerned, you're not allowed to ask `Why?'