and the bottom. how can i get these back?

thanks a ton

nick

Re: lost my task panels in gnome [ In reply to ]

Re: lost my task panels in gnome [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:

> Nick Smith wrote:
>
>> Nick Smith wrote:
>>
>>> for some reason X wouldnt logout, just left me with my desktop icons
>>> and a mouse cursor and i had to ctrl-alt-backspace to get out of it,
>>> and when i rebooted, and it went into X, it opened like 5 xmms, 5
>>> thunderbirds, 5 foxfires and then left me without my taskbars at the
>>> top and the bottom. how can i get these back?
>>>
>>> thanks a ton
>>>
>>> nick
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>> no takers on this one heh... :-(
>>

> I'll bite. I'm assuming you didn't delete the panels accidentally,
> auto-hide them, and that you aren't getting any errors when you start
> GNOME.
>
> Try logging out, logging in using the "failsafe Gnome" option (I'm
> assuming you're using GDM), and see if they show up. Whether they do
> or not, open the GNOME Control Center=>Advanced=>Sessions, and delete
> any weird looking anything in the current session.
>
> Make sure that the "Save changes to session automatically" box is
> checked.
>
> Also open the GNOME System Monitor and end/kill any processes that
> should not be running, crashed invisibly in the other session, or are
> otherwise out of the ordinary.
>
> Log out and back into your normal session and see if the panel opens.
>
> If so, you're done. If not, try using CTRL+A to get the run box, and
> type gnome-panel. Your panel(s) should open; log out to save the
> session, then log back in to restore the panels opening normally on
> startup.
>
> Hope this helps. GNOME sometimes freaks out a little, and cleaning up
> the session usually fixes it for me.
>
> Holly

im not using gdm or anything else for that matter, i just do startx and
it goes right into gnome, is it hard to setup and install? or will just
an emerge gdm do it? also i tried a ctrl+a and it does nothing for me,
no run box, but while typing this i decided to right click and open a
termainal window and type gnome-panel in there, which worked and brought
you my panels, thank you so much for helping me. i was lost. now lets
just cross our fingers that it stays this way when i log out and back in
again ;)

thanks again

nick

Re: lost my task panels in gnome [ In reply to ]