Mailing List Archive

How I install Samba without LDAP..?
I'm trying to install samba 2.2.8a without ldap as I don't really need the
security features (I'm setting up a small server at home) and don't
understand ldap much anyway. The version I'm trying to install is off a
LiveCD set as I don't have a working internet connection for this machine
yet.

When I run "USE="-ldap" emerge -k samba" my flag seems to be ignored as it
assists in trying to install openldap as well as Samba.

I tried modifying /etc/make.conf in the USE section and this did not work
either. I'm really frustrated.. any help would be really appreciated.

Is it possible that this software has been pre-compiled with LDAP. As not
much compilation seems to occur when Samba installs. Looks to me like the
builder is being be compressed and copied onto the hard drive.

Thanks - Alan

---

Re: How I install Samba without LDAP..? [ In reply to ]
You got yourself the right answer. The -k is a shortcut for --usepkg
i.e. using a pre-compiled package that will simply be extracted onto
your system with all the USE flags that have been set originally. If
ldap has been used then it'll try to emerge openldap in any case. You
could override this behaviour with --nodeps but that would simply result
in a non working samba package.
Since Samba 2.2.8.a is OOOLD I'd suggest performing

emerge sync
USE="-ldap" emerge samba

That'll give you Samba 3.0.7-r1 (stable).

Alan Watson schrieb:
> I'm trying to install samba 2.2.8a without ldap as I don't really need the
> security features (I'm setting up a small server at home) and don't
> understand ldap much anyway. The version I'm trying to install is off a
> LiveCD set as I don't have a working internet connection for this machine
> yet.
>
> When I run "USE="-ldap" emerge -k samba" my flag seems to be ignored as it
> assists in trying to install openldap as well as Samba.
>
> I tried modifying /etc/make.conf in the USE section and this did not work
> either. I'm really frustrated.. any help would be really appreciated.
>
> Is it possible that this software has been pre-compiled with LDAP. As not
> much compilation seems to occur when Samba installs. Looks to me like the
> builder is being be compressed and copied onto the hard drive.
>
> Thanks - Alan
>

> ---

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Heinz Sporn