Mailing List Archive

Re: [PEAR] trying to change shebang using vi
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:44:15 +0200, Klaus Guenther
<klaus@capitalfocus.org> wrote:
> Stowe Spivey wrote:
> > Thanks for this. I can get to the file and see what I need to
> > change. However, after I type "i" to insert in vi, I can not use
> > the delete key. In fact, I can't use the delete key at all. If
> > there another delete that is mapped fifferently for this app? A
> > good tutorial link?
> >
> > Many thanks!
>
> You cannot use the backspace, but you should be able to use the delete
> key (marked "del", "entf" or something else dependent on the language of
> your keyboard). By default, vim does not allow you to backspace over
> something you did not just type. If you type ":set backspace=2" and hit
> enter before you hit "i", you should be able to use the backspace as
> you expect. For the rest, of course, follow Greg's instructions below :)
>
> hth,
>
> Klaus

Seeing as this is gentoo, you should also make sure that you have the
right permissions for the files you are trying to change... not sure
that $ will have the rights necessary. Vi also has the beautiful x
key. No need to type i, just put the cursor over the offending
character and press the x key, voila, gone. repeat as many times as
needed then :wq or :x to quit and save the current state of the file.
Cheers
Antoine
ps. ibm devworks had some pretty nice articles on their site but they
change heaps, and it is run pretty shabbily in my view so you may not
find them. (write to me perso if not...)
pps; they were written by the founder of gentoo, daniel robbins so
that must be pretty good!!!

--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at