Mailing List Archive

Dependencies

Re: Dependencies [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 03:52:09 -0300, Pupeno wrote:

> I see that qpkg -q X, is supoused to list which packages depend on X,
> but it's TERRIBLE slow. It takes minutes!

Use qpkg -q -I to only check installed packages. Or use "emerge depclean
-p" to list and clean out unused dependencies. It is advisable to run
revdep-rebuild after a cleanup session.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bother," said Pooh, when he found Tigger stoned on his hash
Re: Dependencies [ In reply to ]
* Pupeno (pupeno@pupeno.com) wrote:

> After some time of using gentoo, I've installed a lot of applications. A lot
> that where needed only once, or that I just tested or something like that.
> I'd like to get rid of all those applications (to save HD, to have a cleaner
> system, to make recompiling the whole system faster, if I ever do it).
> Doing this clean is proving to be very hard on Gentoo while it is very easy on
> other distributions, I just go package by package seeing if it is something I
> know I need, if it isn't, I see if it is needed by something I need, checking
> which packages depend on it.
> How can I do it on Gentoo ?
> I see that qpkg -q X, is supoused to list which packages depend on X, but it's
> TERRIBLE slow. It takes minutes!
> Any comands that can make it faster or help me in any way ?

Best way i can think of is:
remove everything you don't want from your world file
(/var/lib/portage/world)
then emerge depclean
Now depending on how mutch you change USE flags things can and will be
broken
so you want to run revdep-rebuild (from gentoolkit package)
and emerge --update --deep --newuse world (to remerge package that have
changed use flags)
(not necesarily in this order.)

(assumes portage 2.0.51+)

--