xmovie. I don't have anything alsa installed, my sound card support
is in my 2.4 kernel. What do you guys think?

- Grant

Re: xmms trouble [ In reply to ]
What output plugin are you using in XMMS? (Go to the preferences
dialog, and then the Audio I/O Plugins page) It sounds like you have
the Disk Writer Plugin active - that decodes the MP3 and writes it to
disk instead of sending it to your sound card.

--
Ed

Re: xmms trouble [ In reply to ]
On Mon 11.10 12:47, Grant wrote:
> When I try to play an MP3 with xmms it runs through the playback time
> REALLY quickly and makes no sound. MP3s do work great for me in
> xmovie. I don't have anything alsa installed, my sound card support
> is in my 2.4 kernel.

Make sure, the output-plugin is Alsa or OSS. What you get sounds a bit
like the disk output plugin, which would write a decoded version of a
MP3 to your hard drive.

Bert

Re: xmms trouble [ In reply to ]
> What output plugin are you using in XMMS? (Go to the preferences
> dialog, and then the Audio I/O Plugins page) It sounds like you have
> the Disk Writer Plugin active - that decodes the MP3 and writes it to
> disk instead of sending it to your sound card.
>
> --
> Ed

It looks like you're absolutely right. How can I get it to send the
audio to my sound card for playback instead of decoding and writing a
WAV file? There don't seem to be any other output options. Do I need
to download a module?

- Grant

Re: xmms trouble [ In reply to ]
> > When I try to play an MP3 with xmms it runs through the playback time
> > REALLY quickly and makes no sound. MP3s do work great for me in
> > xmovie. I don't have anything alsa installed, my sound card support
> > is in my 2.4 kernel.
>
> Make sure, the output-plugin is Alsa or OSS. What you get sounds a bit
> like the disk output plugin, which would write a decoded version of a
> MP3 to your hard drive.
>
> Bert

Ah, maybe I should have set the alsa USE flag? If I do that though,
it wants to install alsa-headers, alsa-driver, and alsa-lib as
dependencies. I've read it's a bad idea to install alsa-driver if
your support is in the kernel.

- Grant

Re: xmms trouble [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:21:40 -0700, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah, maybe I should have set the alsa USE flag? If I do that though,
> it wants to install alsa-headers, alsa-driver, and alsa-lib as
> dependencies. I've read it's a bad idea to install alsa-driver if
> your support is in the kernel.

Only if you want ALSA support in. In the drop-down box where the
Audio plugins are, do you see anything besides the Disk Writer plugin?
If not, then check to see if you have oss in your USE flags, and if
not, try adding it and emerge xmms again.

--
Ed

Re: xmms trouble [ In reply to ]
> > Ah, maybe I should have set the alsa USE flag? If I do that though,
> > it wants to install alsa-headers, alsa-driver, and alsa-lib as
> > dependencies. I've read it's a bad idea to install alsa-driver if
> > your support is in the kernel.
>
> Only if you want ALSA support in. In the drop-down box where the
> Audio plugins are, do you see anything besides the Disk Writer plugin?
> If not, then check to see if you have oss in your USE flags, and if
> not, try adding it and emerge xmms again.
>
> --
> Ed

I thought alsa and oss had more to do with getting sound to work with
a system than with getting sound to work with a particular
application. I thought that if sound was working via the kernel, alsa
or oss wasn't necessary. If alsa/oss is necessary to get sound to
work with xmms, how can sound work with xmovie without either? Is it
just up to the application?

- Grant

Re: xmms trouble [ In reply to ]
Grant wrote:
>>>Ah, maybe I should have set the alsa USE flag? If I do that though,
>>>it wants to install alsa-headers, alsa-driver, and alsa-lib as
>>>dependencies. I've read it's a bad idea to install alsa-driver if
>>>your support is in the kernel.
>>
>>Only if you want ALSA support in. In the drop-down box where the
>>Audio plugins are, do you see anything besides the Disk Writer plugin?
>> If not, then check to see if you have oss in your USE flags, and if
>>not, try adding it and emerge xmms again.
>>
>>--
>>Ed
>

> I thought alsa and oss had more to do with getting sound to work with
> a system than with getting sound to work with a particular
> application. I thought that if sound was working via the kernel, alsa
> or oss wasn't necessary. If alsa/oss is necessary to get sound to
> work with xmms, how can sound work with xmovie without either? Is it
> just up to the application?
>
> - Grant

I think you are confusing the relationship of the ALSA packages to the
kernel.

If you are using the 2.4-series kernel, the included kernel drivers
(Device Drivers=>Sound) are the OSS drivers. If you wanted the ALSA
drivers under a 2.4-series kernel, you have/had to install an outside
package to get them.

If you are using the 2.6-series kernel, the included kernel drivers are
the ALSA drivers (the OSS drivers are also available, but deprecated,
and the default enabled drivers are the ALSA drivers). Meaning that they
are the same driver modules that would be compiled against the kernel if
you installed the alsa-drivers package (version does play a role here,
though, given that the 2.6 kernel drivers are like 1.04, and you can
patch to or install alsa-driver 1.06).

The kernel drivers are not "something else than" ALSA or OSS-- they ARE
ALSA or OSS. However, they are literally *just* the drivers; any
additional utilities that might be necessary (mixers, libraries,
headers, etc) must be installed separately.

And you often do have to tell the applications that need to utilize the
sound device which protocol you are using. Although, if you are using
ALSA from the kernel, and have also compiled OSS emulation, it often
isn't a problem because the application can just use whatever it finds
most comfortable for it. But some applications haven't really improved
their detection, or don't work well with ALSA, or don't work well with
ALSA > 1.0, so sometimes you still have to manually configure the
application yourself. This is also something to watch out for when you
use udev, because some applications don't detect the device nodes
properly (or at all, they just guess based on what the nodes used to be
a year and a half ago under devfs), and you have to configure those
manually, too.

Holly