Mailing List Archive

Resuming emerge.....
As a gentoo newbye I'd like to know if, after having interrupted (ctrl-C) a
long emerge (e.g. emerge kde) in between is it possible to resume the same
emerge session restarting from the compilation of the last, interrupted code
and HOW?

Ciao
Vittorio

Re: Resuming emerge..... [ In reply to ]
Vittorio wrote:
> As a gentoo newbye I'd like to know if, after having interrupted (ctrl-C) a
> long emerge (e.g. emerge kde) in between is it possible to resume the same
> emerge session restarting from the compilation of the last, interrupted code
> and HOW?
>
> Ciao
> Vittorio

Yes.

emerge --resume

(don't do any other emerges in-between; --resume picks up the last
emerge only, afaik).

By the way, if a long emerge is stopped because of a problem with one of
the packages (and you can't fix it), there is also emerge --resume
--skipfirst to "jump over" the bad package, and move on to the rest of
the group. Naturally anything that depended on the bad package will fail
as well, but you can skip over those too, using the same command.

Hope this helps.

Holly

Re: Resuming emerge..... [ In reply to ]
Holly writes:

> emerge --resume

And in case a long compile was interrupted, an 'ebuild /usr/portage/
..../package.ebuild merge' should install this package without
recompiling everything.

Alex
--
Alex Schuster Wonko@wonkology.org PGP Key available