Mailing List Archive

ccache
Hi,

I have a quick question. I'd like to start to use ccache. I emerge it
and add CCACHE to features and
CCACHE_SIZE="4G"
CCACHE_DIR="/var/cache/ccache"

I start to emerge openoffice. After some files I look around in the
ccache dir and there is nothing, just a/ b/ and so on.

I use userpriv, sandbox and usersandbox.

The dirs in ccache/ are root:portage rwxr-sr-x.
Portage can not write into these. Who handle ccache root, or portage
during the emerge?

If not this permissions cause the problem, than what pitfalls are there?

TIA.
Cheers,
Tamas Sarga
--
A day is 24 hours long. Egy nap 24 órából áll.
A box of beer contains 24 bottles. Egy tálcán 24 üveg sör van.

Re: ccache [ In reply to ]
Tamas writes:

> I have a quick question. I'd like to start to use ccache. I emerge it
> and add CCACHE to features and
> CCACHE_SIZE="4G"
> CCACHE_DIR="/var/cache/ccache"

I have no such statement in my make.conf, but there are these lines:

# CCACHE_SIZE sets the space use limitations for ccache. The default size is
# 2G, and will be set if not defined otherwise and ccache is in features.
# Portage will set the default ccache dir if it is not present in the
# user's environment, for userpriv it sets: ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/ccache
# (/var/tmp/ccache), and for regular use the default is /root/.ccache.

I do not know what created this directory, but it has portage as owner
and group, and rwsrws--- permissions. So this should do it:
mkdir /var/tmp/ccache
chown portage:portage /var/tmp/ccache
chmod ug=rwxs,o-rwx /var/tmp/ccache

This directory will be used only by portage. If you compile as another
user (or root), the directory will be ~/.ccache.

Alex
--
Alex Schuster Wonko@wonkology.org PGP Key available
Wonko@netcologne.de

Re: ccache [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Alex Schuster wrote:

> Tamas writes:
>
> > I have a quick question. I'd like to start to use ccache. I emerge it
> > and add CCACHE to features and
> > CCACHE_SIZE="4G"
> > CCACHE_DIR="/var/cache/ccache"
>
> I have no such statement in my make.conf, but there are these lines:
>
> # CCACHE_SIZE sets the space use limitations for ccache. The default size is
> # 2G, and will be set if not defined otherwise and ccache is in features.
> # Portage will set the default ccache dir if it is not present in the
> # user's environment, for userpriv it sets: ${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/ccache
> # (/var/tmp/ccache), and for regular use the default is /root/.ccache.
>
> I do not know what created this directory, but it has portage as owner
> and group, and rwsrws--- permissions. So this should do it:
> mkdir /var/tmp/ccache
> chown portage:portage /var/tmp/ccache
> chmod ug=rwxs,o-rwx /var/tmp/ccache
>
> This directory will be used only by portage. If you compile as another
> user (or root), the directory will be ~/.ccache.
>
> Alex
> --
> Alex Schuster Wonko@wonkology.org PGP Key available
> Wonko@netcologne.de

I have /var/cache/ccache dir (it is defined as ccache sir in make.conf),
/root/.ccache both of it contains a stat file and dirs from 0 to f.
In addition I have /var/tmp/ccache dir with stat, dirs and two other
files. All of these directories were created automatically.
ccache -s give me 0 stored files, sudo -u portage ccache -s gives it
too.

I'll wait the end of compilation, maybe stats will be updated then, but I
don't think so.

Cheers,
Tamas Sarga

Re: ccache [ In reply to ]
Tamas writes:

> I have /var/cache/ccache dir (it is defined as ccache sir in make.conf),
> /root/.ccache both of it contains a stat file and dirs from 0 to f.
> In addition I have /var/tmp/ccache dir with stat, dirs and two other
> files. All of these directories were created automatically.
> ccache -s give me 0 stored files, sudo -u portage ccache -s gives it
> too.

ccache -s will list information on the ~/ccache directory, so sudo -u
portage won't work as portage's home is /var/tmp/portage, not /var/
tmp. But you can specify the cache location with the CCACHE_DIR
environment variable, try this:
CCACHE_DIR=/var/tmp/cache ccache -s

Alex