Mailing List Archive

Gentoo newbye: xfce first installation
As a debian old user moving now to gentoo, being spoiled by debian itself,
I installed the latest gentoo from stage 1, and issue a simple

"emerge xfce"

successfully. It all ended up smoothly, with no error! BUT ...

After successfully configuring xorg.conf, leaving untouched all the .xinitrc,
when I issue "startxfce" it is only showing a wonderful black graphics surface,
with a functioning mouse pointer able and a useless menu (right clicking
on the surface).

Under /usr/doc I didn't find any glue on how to setup xfce in order to have
at least:

-a panel with some choices, among them the program to configure xfce
- a terminal and a clock
- a background image

Could you please tell me how make it?
Being a gentoo newbye a step by step explanation would be highly appreciated.
Ciao
Vittorio

Re: Gentoo newbye: xfce first installation [ In reply to ]
v.demartino2@virgilio.it kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika maanantai, 11.
lokakuuta 2004 12:55):
> Under /usr/doc I didn't find any glue on how to setup xfce in order to have
> at least:
>
> -a panel with some choices, among them the program to configure xfce
> - a terminal and a clock
> - a background image

Well first off, we're you planning to install the xfce-3.8 window manager or
the full xfce4 desktop environment? If you were aiming for the full xfce
desktop, try emerge xfce4.

--
Jani-Matti Hätinen

Re: Gentoo newbye: xfce first installation [ In reply to ]
Le oct octobre à 11:55:16 v.demartino2@virgilio.it a écrit notamment:

> As a debian old user moving now to gentoo, being spoiled by debian itself,
> I installed the latest gentoo from stage 1, and issue a simple

welcome to gentoo!

> "emerge xfce"
>
> successfully. It all ended up smoothly, with no error! BUT ...
>
> After successfully configuring xorg.conf, leaving untouched all the .xinitrc,
> when I issue "startxfce"

try "startxfce4"

> it is only showing a wonderful black graphics surface, with a
> functioning mouse pointer able and a useless menu (right clicking on the
> surface).

[...]

hth
--