5) any other suggestions?

--

Adi

Re: lean mean desktop machine [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 10 October 2004 07:34 pm, Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
> I'm trying to rebuild my gentoo (not reinstall) to be a fast desktop.
> Are there any suggestions on this? I want it to start applications fast so:
> 1) prelink ... just tell me about it if you use ATI. Tried and failed
> succesfully.
> 2) /proc ... what about a howto for this? Does anyone know how the
> various settings can make a computer a faster machine?
> 3) what kernel sources should I use?
> 4) ioscheduler ... suggestions?
> 5) any other suggestions?

Just discussed recently was the LDFLAGS setting, I use "-Wl, O1" right now and
have noticed a HUGE difference. Without the hassle of prelinking.

Have a look at this:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231170

Very helpful.
Re: lean mean desktop machine [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 10 Oct 2004, Ryan W Sims wrote:

> On Sunday 10 October 2004 07:34 pm, Adrian CAPDEFIER wrote:
> > I'm trying to rebuild my gentoo (not reinstall) to be a fast desktop.
> > Are there any suggestions on this? I want it to start applications fast so:
> > 1) prelink ... just tell me about it if you use ATI. Tried and failed
> > succesfully.
> > 2) /proc ... what about a howto for this? Does anyone know how the
> > various settings can make a computer a faster machine?
> > 3) what kernel sources should I use?
> > 4) ioscheduler ... suggestions?
> > 5) any other suggestions?
>
> Just discussed recently was the LDFLAGS setting, I use "-Wl, O1" right now and
> have noticed a HUGE difference. Without the hassle of prelinking.

This ldflags discussion (on this list) has not been very satisfying yet.
I'd like to get more information on ldflags before putting them in
make.conf...

--
T.G.

Re: lean mean desktop machine [ In reply to ]
On Monday 11 October 2004 03:00, Tero Grundström wrote:
> > Just discussed recently was the LDFLAGS setting, I use "-Wl, O1" right
> > now and have noticed a HUGE difference. Without the hassle of
> > prelinking.

prelinking never made any noticable difference for me.

> This ldflags discussion (on this list) has not been very satisfying yet.
> I'd like to get more information on ldflags before putting them in
> make.conf...

On 2 different machines when left logged in over night KDE apps lost the
ability to do DNS lookups when LDFLAGS set to "-Wl,-O1".
Only option was to logout, and back in.

--
Mike Williams
Re: lean mean desktop machine [ In reply to ]
Ryan W Sims wrote:
> Just discussed recently was the LDFLAGS setting, I use "-Wl, O1" right now and
> have noticed a HUGE difference. Without the hassle of prelinking.
>
> Have a look at this:
>
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=231170
>
> Very helpful.

the only improvement seems to be the LDFLAGS setting.

--
Adi