Mailing List Archive

Mounting DVD ISO image
Hi all, trying to mount a DVD ISO image here, getting a bit of an
error, did i forget to compile something into the kernel?

mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/soverign/archives_dvd/SWAT.ISO /mnt/vdvd

mount: could not find any device /dev/loop#

Ryan "Phoenix" Coates
ryan.coates@gmail.com

Re: Mounting DVD ISO image [ In reply to ]
yes you need to compile in loopback device
device drivers ---> block devices -------> loopback device support

~P

Re: Mounting DVD ISO image [ In reply to ]
Ryan Coates wrote:
> Hi all, trying to mount a DVD ISO image here, getting a bit of an
> error, did i forget to compile something into the kernel?
>
> mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/soverign/archives_dvd/SWAT.ISO /mnt/vdvd
>
> mount: could not find any device /dev/loop#

If it is DVD, wouldn't you want to mount as UDF ?

- Drew

Re: Mounting DVD ISO image [ In reply to ]
Ryan Coates wrote:
> Hi all, trying to mount a DVD ISO image here, getting a bit of an
> error, did i forget to compile something into the kernel?
>
> mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/soverign/archives_dvd/SWAT.ISO /mnt/vdvd
>
> mount: could not find any device /dev/loop#

On-topic:
I had that lopp issue until I switched to devfs.

- Drew

Re: Mounting DVD ISO image [ In reply to ]
Drew Broadley wrote:
> Ryan Coates wrote:
>
>>Hi all, trying to mount a DVD ISO image here, getting a bit of an
>>error, did i forget to compile something into the kernel?
>>
>>mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/soverign/archives_dvd/SWAT.ISO /mnt/vdvd
>>
>>mount: could not find any device /dev/loop#
>>

> If it is DVD, wouldn't you want to mount as UDF ?
>
> - Drew

Umm, no.... why? Did I miss the memo where DVDs specifically were
packet-written by default?

Holly

Re: Mounting DVD ISO image [ In reply to ]
Holly Bostick wrote:
> Umm, no.... why? Did I miss the memo where DVDs specifically were
> packet-written by default?

It was just a suggestion as that might be why mount.iso9660 and the loop dev were having issues.

Whooa nelly.

- Drew

Re: Mounting DVD ISO image [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 12:15:38AM +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
> Drew Broadley wrote:
> >Ryan Coates wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all, trying to mount a DVD ISO image here, getting a bit of an
> >>error, did i forget to compile something into the kernel?
> >>
> >>mount -t iso9660 -o loop /mnt/soverign/archives_dvd/SWAT.ISO /mnt/vdvd
> >>
> >>mount: could not find any device /dev/loop#
> >>

> >If it is DVD, wouldn't you want to mount as UDF ?
> >
> >- Drew
> >
> Umm, no.... why? Did I miss the memo where DVDs specifically were
> packet-written by default?

No, but maybe the one where UDF is stated to be the official DVD-Video
file-system. The ISO fs is only there for backwards compatibility and
could be removed in theory. Of course, you are free to write data DVDs
using whichever FS you want.