Putting that aside, I decided to run an emerge regen to try to work out dependency hell. However, I keep getting segmentation faults at different points during the process. It just keeps dying. No idea why. No idea what might be causing it.

If I know more what to look for I can probalby provide more information. For now, has anyone run into this?

aaron
Re: Segmentation Faults during install [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 10 October 2004 19:12, Aaron wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm running into some highly annoying problems getting Gentoo installed.
>
> I have a brand new computer that I've built. Athlon XP, 2800 + running at
> 2.08 ghz, 512MB Ram etc.

test your ram&control your cpu-cooling. Often segfaults are a sign for bad
hardware/cooling probs.

Glück Auf
Volker

Re: Segmentation Faults during install [ In reply to ]
I can run memtest86. My cpu is currently running at 47C .. not what I
necessarily would consider out of control, but maybe I'm wrong...

Re: Segmentation Faults during install [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 10 October 2004 19:19, Aaron wrote:
> I can run memtest86. My cpu is currently running at 47C .. not what I
> necessarily would consider out of control, but maybe I'm wrong...

'currently' it does not compile, right?
How far goes the temp, when you do cpu-heavy stuff (and do not forget, that
the numbers are not correct. They are good to see a trend, but I would not
bet on them)?

And, yes, you should run memtest86, at least for some hours.

Re: Segmentation Faults during install [ In reply to ]

Re: Segmentation Faults during install [ In reply to ]
You are using mm-sources ?
These kernels caused segfault for me.

felix

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> On Sunday 10 October 2004 19:19, Aaron wrote:
>> I can run memtest86. My cpu is currently running at 47C .. not what I
>> necessarily would consider out of control, but maybe I'm wrong...
>
> 'currently' it does not compile, right?
> How far goes the temp, when you do cpu-heavy stuff (and do not forget, that
> the numbers are not correct. They are good to see a trend, but I would not
> bet on them)?
>
> And, yes, you should run memtest86, at least for some hours.

Felix Kurth
pgp public key: http://www.fkurth.de/keys/felix.fkurth.asc
key fingerprint: D401 DCF8 2BF8 50DF 2FAD 8136 C29B 83EE C0A1 F2AD

Re: Re: Segmentation Faults during install [ In reply to ]
ran memtest and no errors reported. I wasn't necessarily overclocking but
the default was for a 100 FSB. Since my CPU is 333, I set my clock to 166.
So I have downed it back to default and giving that a try.

What do you mean by mm sources?

Re: Segmentation Faults during install [ In reply to ]
Aaron wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm running into some highly annoying problems getting Gentoo
> installed.
>
> I have a brand new computer that I've built. Athlon XP, 2800 +
> running at 2.08 ghz, 512MB Ram etc.
>
> On install, I continually get errors running emerge system. I'm new
> to Gentoo so I'm still trying to figure out WHAT is going wrong.
>
> Putting that aside, I decided to run an emerge regen to try to work
> out dependency hell. However, I keep getting segmentation faults at
> different points during the process. It just keeps dying. No idea
> why. No idea what might be causing it.
>
> If I know more what to look for I can probalby provide more
> information. For now, has anyone run into this?
>
> aaron

From which stage you are installing? In case of stage2 or 3, are you
sure that you downloaded the right stage .tar.bz2 for your architecture.

[]'s
Mauro

Re: Segmentation Faults during install [ In reply to ]
yeah, stage 2 and I downloaded the athlon xp stage 2....