Antoine

--
G System, The Evolving GUniverse - http://www.g-system.at

Re: (not OT but annoying) Gentoo problems with asus a7n8x-x? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 12:23, Antoine wrote:
> Hi,
> I am probably going to get one of these motherboards and had two
> questions - anyone had any issues with it (as regards gentoo),

I've had an a7n8x-e for a few months now and I haven't had any problems
with it, although I have not had the chance to test the GigE or SATA yet
since I don't have any hardware to use on those ports yet.

> and...
> this is bad but, I have an agp 4x graphics card and it appears only to
> support 8x.
> Is this going to be a problem?

It shouldn't be a problem. My manual says it will support both 4x and 8x
cards. The only warning is that it says the card must be a 1.5V AGP card
and not a 3.3V card.

Robert

Re: (not OT but annoying) Gentoo problems with asus a7n8x-x? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:53:51 -0600, Robert Morris <robertm@idcomm.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 12:23, Antoine wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am probably going to get one of these motherboards and had two
> > questions - anyone had any issues with it (as regards gentoo),
>
> I've had an a7n8x-e for a few months now and I haven't had any problems
> with it, although I have not had the chance to test the GigE or SATA yet
> since I don't have any hardware to use on those ports yet.
>
> > and...
> > this is bad but, I have an agp 4x graphics card and it appears only to
> > support 8x.
> > Is this going to be a problem?
>
> It shouldn't be a problem. My manual says it will support both 4x and 8x
> cards. The only warning is that it says the card must be a 1.5V AGP card
> and not a 3.3V card.
>
> Robert
>
> --
I've been using this (the DLX version) for ages with linux.
I am not using the SATA (no drives for it) and I haven't been able to
get decent performance out of the on board sound.. so I'm using an old
SB live card that does the job perfectly.

In general I don't have any issue's with it or any other asus
equipment with the exception that I don't think I'll buy another asus
Motherboard again as their bios update software completely FUBAR'd my
last Motherboard and processor. :-| (not the a7n8x but still not
acceptable in my books.)

There is a "$**t load" of forum postings on this board.. make sure you
search the gentoo forums. :-)

--
Nothing dies faster than a new idea in a closed mind.

Re: (not OT but annoying) Gentoo problems with asus a7n8x-x? [ In reply to ]
Robert Morris wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 12:23, Antoine wrote:
[snip]
>>and...
>>this is bad but, I have an agp 4x graphics card and it appears only to
>>support 8x.
>>Is this going to be a problem?
>

> It shouldn't be a problem. My manual says it will support both 4x and 8x
> cards. The only warning is that it says the card must be a 1.5V AGP card
> and not a 3.3V card.

If ASUS hasn't changed their policy during the last months, the board can
tell when there is a 3.3V card in the AGP-slot and will refuse to boot. At
least my A7V8X can and tells me that by lighting up a red LED right under
the graphic card when the power mainboard is supplied with power. At this
point, the chipset would not be damaged.

Greetings,
Felix