I share my mozilla profile folder between Gentoo Linux and Windows (on a
separate fat partition mounted at boot) and in Linux I see dates
formatted in US way (mm/dd/yyyy) while in Windows I see dates in italian
(and many other countries, I guess) format (dd/mm/yyyy).
So must be something with the OS, not Mozilla setting, which I can't
find, actually.

Thank U for help.

- Fabrizio

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
Fabrizio Prosperi wrote:
> Hi all! Still n00b questions from me...
> Is there something like "Regional setting" in linux in general and
> gentoo in particular? I mean something in addition to /etc/localtime
> symlink, to set date formats, currency formats and so on?
>
> I share my mozilla profile folder between Gentoo Linux and Windows (on a
> separate fat partition mounted at boot) and in Linux I see dates
> formatted in US way (mm/dd/yyyy) while in Windows I see dates in italian
> (and many other countries, I guess) format (dd/mm/yyyy).
> So must be something with the OS, not Mozilla setting, which I can't
> find, actually.
There are controls regarding your localization. They're called "LC_*". They
can be set to whichever regional code you want. For italian it is "it_IT", I
guess.

I followed a little HowTo (but can not recall where I found it, most likely
in the gentoo forums), and set up the following file as /etc/env.d/02locale:
LINGUAS="de"
LANG="de_DE@euro"
i18n="de_DE"

I think it would be sufficient to exchange the locale codes to your country
("it" and "it_IT") to activate italian date format.

The "@euro"-extension at LANG activates support for the euro-symbol.

To activate these settings I guess it'd be sufficient to log off and back
on, if it doesn't - just reboot ;-).

Hope, this helps.

Greetings,
Felix

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
This helped...it works! Thank U very much (I needed reboot).

fab

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
Fabrizio Prosperi wrote:
> This helped...it works! Thank U very much (I needed reboot).

[snip]

I should add, that those LC_* I mentioned before are used to fine-tune your
localization settings at many points. You can set up russian error messages,
chinese time format and spanish character sets...
If you want to do so... And if all applications come with russian error
messages... ;-)

It is however not recommended to do so, and at my box it caused serious
problems until I've got the config I sent you.

Greetings,
Felix

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
Felix Tiede wrote:
> Fabrizio Prosperi wrote:
>
>> This helped...it works! Thank U very much (I needed reboot).
>>
> [snip]
>
> I should add, that those LC_* I mentioned before are used to fine-tune
> your localization settings at many points. You can set up russian error
> messages, chinese time format and spanish character sets...
> If you want to do so... And if all applications come with russian error
> messages... ;-)
>
> It is however not recommended to do so, and at my box it caused serious
> problems until I've got the config I sent you.
>
> Greetings,
> Felix

You seem to be reading my mind...I was just thinking to switch back to
english for the language, keeping italian date format, because all my X
applications (nautilus, fluxbox, mozilla itself, etc...) messages and
menus turned to italian and often it's not quite good italian...but if U
tell me you had serious problems doing so I'll keep them and maybe I'll
post corrections to messages to the maintainers. :)

Thanks,
Fab

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
Fabrizio Prosperi wrote:
> Felix Tiede wrote:

[snip]

> You seem to be reading my mind...I was just thinking to switch back to
> english for the language, keeping italian date format, because all my X
> applications (nautilus, fluxbox, mozilla itself, etc...) messages and
> menus turned to italian and often it's not quite good italian...but if U
> tell me you had serious problems doing so I'll keep them and maybe I'll
> post corrections to messages to the maintainers. :)

That seems possible.
Modify /etc/env.d/02locale with LANG="en_GB" or LANG="en_US" (whichever you
like best, euro-symbol-support is not available, both have no Euro...) and
add the following line(s) to the file:
LC_TIME="it_IT"
LC_DATE="it_IT"

I don't know, if the latter exists, but it's worth a try. This should set
your general language back to english and use the italian format for dates
and times.

My experiments were of a different nature and you may have better luck.

HTH, greetings
Felix

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
why ? I don't have the file "/etc/env.d/02locale ".

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 11 October 2004 02:02, Felix Tiede wrote:
> Fabrizio Prosperi wrote:
> > Felix Tiede wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > You seem to be reading my mind...I was just thinking to switch back
> > to english for the language, keeping italian date format, because
> > all my X applications (nautilus, fluxbox, mozilla itself, etc...)
> > messages and menus turned to italian and often it's not quite good
> > italian...but if U tell me you had serious problems doing so I'll
> > keep them and maybe I'll post corrections to messages to the
> > maintainers. :)
>
> That seems possible.
> Modify /etc/env.d/02locale with LANG="en_GB" or LANG="en_US"
> (whichever you like best, euro-symbol-support is not available, both
> have no Euro...) and add the following line(s) to the file:
[...]

LC_MONETARY exists for this.
for a complete list see "locale" command.

Ciao
Francesco
--
Linux Version 2.6.9-rc2, Compiled #3 Thu Sep 30 18:27:48 CEST 2004
One 1.53GHz AMD Athlon XP Processor, 1.5GB RAM, 3022.84 Bogomips Total

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
Salmonpink Xuan wrote:
> why ? I don't have the file "/etc/env.d/02locale ".

This thread is a little intricate.
I told the OP about "/etc/env.d/02locale" in another branch of this thread.

You don't need to have this file if you don't need to set up locale data
different from the standard or do these settings, in your local user
profile, e.g. in $HOME/.bash_profile or $HOME/.bashrc (as long as the latter
is called by the former).
The advantage of using "/etc/env.d/02locale" is, that it is system-wide and
your users don't need to do the settings in their own profiles.

HTH, greetings
Felix

Re: "Regional settings" in gentoo...? [ In reply to ]
Salmonpink Xuan wrote:
> why ? I don't have the file "/etc/env.d/02locale ".

In addition to what Felix correctly said, you don't have 02locale
because it is an additional configuration file which you don't need by
default to have. The format is nnxxxx where nn is a number from 00 to 99
and xxxx is a specific name for some configuration. The numbers nn are
used to create an order between all configuration files used in the
directory, in case some needed precedency over others.

Me too, I didn't have the file, till Felix told me.

Thank U everyone, I'll make my tests with all LC settings shown by
locale command as Francesco suggested.

fab