Gentoo, possibly changing partition setups and filesystems at the same
time. I've finally written up (briefly) what I did here:

http://www.mjclement.com/31/

I'd appreciate any feedback. It's a bit of a rough draft, I'd like to
make it more explicit and easier for beginners, so if there's references
to other documentation I should add, or parts that could be explained
better, and especially if you notice any errors, please let me know.

-MJ

Re: How I installed Gentoo over SSH. [ In reply to ]
On Friday 08 October 2004 11:58 am, Michaeljohn Clement wrote:
> A while back I asked the list and got some good advice about installing
> Gentoo over SSH, without any human intervention on the remote end. This
> is a common situation when you have a dedicated server that comes with
> another Linux distribution installed, and want to replace it with
> Gentoo, possibly changing partition setups and filesystems at the same
> time. I've finally written up (briefly) what I did here:
>
> http://www.mjclement.com/31/

This is great. I'll be doing a remote install via ssh for the first time as
well within the next couple weeks, I'm very fortunate to be able to use your
experience - thanks for the doc!

> I'd appreciate any feedback. It's a bit of a rough draft, I'd like to
> make it more explicit and easier for beginners, so if there's references
> to other documentation I should add, or parts that could be explained
> better, and especially if you notice any errors, please let me know.

When I do the install, I'll use your docs as a guide, and I'll take notes
regarding any issues or ideas I might stumble across during the
process, and will provide you with the details when I successfully
complete the install.

Beers!

Corey

--

To defy the laws of tradition -
is a crusade, only of the brave.

Re: How I installed Gentoo over SSH. [ In reply to ]
I did something similar, except using the 2G swap partition as the
"temporary" install location. I also used Lilo as my boot loader and
took advantage of the -r option. This removed the need for a cron
job.

Otherwise looks good.

-jw

Re: How I installed Gentoo over SSH. [ In reply to ]

Re: How I installed Gentoo over SSH. [ In reply to ]
> When I do the install, I'll use your docs as a guide, and I'll take notes
> regarding any issues or ideas I might stumble across during the
> process, and will provide you with the details when I successfully
> complete the install.

Thanks! That'd be great :)

-MJ

Re: How I installed Gentoo over SSH. [ In reply to ]
Michael:

Thanks, awesome guide!

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:58:05 -0600, Michaeljohn Clement <mj@mjclement.com> wrote:
> A while back I asked the list and got some good advice about installing
> Gentoo over SSH, without any human intervention on the remote end. This
> is a common situation when you have a dedicated server that comes with
> another Linux distribution installed, and want to replace it with
> Gentoo, possibly changing partition setups and filesystems at the same
> time. I've finally written up (briefly) what I did here:
>
> http://www.mjclement.com/31/
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback. It's a bit of a rough draft, I'd like to
> make it more explicit and easier for beginners, so if there's references
> to other documentation I should add, or parts that could be explained
> better, and especially if you notice any errors, please let me know.
>
> -MJ

---

When we are young
Wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal
For a limited time

Neil Peart - Dreamline

Re: How I installed Gentoo over SSH. [ In reply to ]
Michael:

Thanks, awesome guide!

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 12:58:05 -0600, Michaeljohn Clement <mj@mjclement.com> wrote:
> A while back I asked the list and got some good advice about installing
> Gentoo over SSH, without any human intervention on the remote end. This
> is a common situation when you have a dedicated server that comes with
> another Linux distribution installed, and want to replace it with
> Gentoo, possibly changing partition setups and filesystems at the same
> time. I've finally written up (briefly) what I did here:
>
> http://www.mjclement.com/31/
>
> I'd appreciate any feedback. It's a bit of a rough draft, I'd like to
> make it more explicit and easier for beginners, so if there's references
> to other documentation I should add, or parts that could be explained
> better, and especially if you notice any errors, please let me know.
>
> -MJ

---