I need help please

Thanks

IcEonFirE
Re: Problem Mounting Floppy device [ In reply to ]
Chiheb Djabri wrote:

> I tried to mount my floppy device by using mount /mnt/floppy & mount
> /dev/fd0
> I replaced the auto to ext2 and tried again by testing a floppy but it
> failed

is your floppy formated, and if so, how.. what program?

Re: Problem Mounting Floppy device [ In reply to ]
> Hi
>

> I tried to mount my floppy device by using mount /mnt/floppy & mount
> /dev/fd0
>
> But I received a message that I have to specify a file system I had the
> following Line on /etc/fstab files
>

> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user 0 0
>

> I replaced the auto to ext2 and tried again by testing a floppy but it
> failed
>
> I need help please
>

> Thanks
>

> IcEonFirE

Is it a standard floppy device or an LS-120/Superdisk?

- Grant

Re: Problem Mounting Floppy device [ In reply to ]
Chiheb Djabri wrote:
> But I received a message that I have to specify a file system

format the floppy first:

# mke2fs /dev/fd0

then you should be able to mount it:

# mount /mnt/floppy

if it doesn't work, post the error messages.

Christoph

Re: Problem Mounting Floppy device [ In reply to ]
On 20:00 Thu 07 Oct , Chiheb Djabri wrote:
> I tried to mount my floppy device by using mount /mnt/floppy & mount
> /dev/fd0
>
> But I received a message that I have to specify a file system I had the
> following Line on /etc/fstab files
>
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,user 0 0
>
> I replaced the auto to ext2 and tried again by testing a floppy but it
> failed

What type of filesystem is on the floppy? Do you have support for that
filesystem in the kernel?

Bill

Re: Problem Mounting Floppy device [ In reply to ]
Hi

The problem is that when I put try to read contents of my diskette
(FAT16 Diskette) I receive the following message: Unable to mount the
selected Volume:
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type and none was specified

How to Correct this please?

Re: Problem Mounting Floppy device [ In reply to ]
* On Fri Oct-08-2004 at 05:44:38 PM +0000, Chiheb Djabri said:
> Hi
>
> The problem is that when I put try to read contents of my diskette
> (FAT16 Diskette) I receive the following message: Unable to mount the
> selected Volume:
> mount: I could not determine the filesystem type and none was specified
>
> How to Correct this please?

Do you have support for dos filesystems compiled into your kernel?

--
Sami Samhuri
Re: Problem Mounting Floppy device [ In reply to ]
A FAT-16 diskette can use the vfat format, if that's supported in your kernel.

If you have the mtools package, you can use the floppy without mounting it,
if all you want to do is copy files to or from it. It has the advantage of not
messing up your floppy if you forget to umount it before taking it out of the
drive.

With mtools, you'll want to read the man pages on mformat, mdir, and mcopy
at a minimum.

++ kevin

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 15:49:21 -0700, Sami Samhuri <sami@no-eff-eks.com> wrote:
> * On Fri Oct-08-2004 at 05:44:38 PM +0000, Chiheb Djabri said:
> > Hi
> >
> > The problem is that when I put try to read contents of my diskette
> > (FAT16 Diskette) I receive the following message: Unable to mount the
> > selected Volume:
> > mount: I could not determine the filesystem type and none was specified
> >
> > How to Correct this please?
>
> Do you have support for dos filesystems compiled into your kernel?
>
> --
> Sami Samhuri

Kevin O'Gorman, PhD