Mailing List Archive

insmod ip_tables
Hi,

Having problems when doing insmod ip_tables, I get

unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt

and

unresolved symbol nf_register_sockopt

I've seen that several others have had the same problem (on different
mailing-list) but I've found no solution.

I've installed "gentoo-source" from scratch stage1.

I've tried (as others have done too) lots of different combinations of
features, built-in and as modules, but I still get the same problem.

One of the suggestions was to upgrade the kernel source-code, but it is
rather new, it is 2.4.26-gentoo-r9. Shouldn't that be good enough ?

Thanks in advance.

br Håkan E.

Re: insmod ip_tables [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2004 21:57 schrieb nobody home:
> Hi,
>
> Having problems when doing insmod ip_tables, I get
>
> unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
>
> and
>
> unresolved symbol nf_register_sockopt
>
> I've seen that several others have had the same problem (on different
> mailing-list) but I've found no solution.
>
> I've installed "gentoo-source" from scratch stage1.
>
> I've tried (as others have done too) lots of different combinations of
> features, built-in and as modules, but I still get the same problem.
>
> One of the suggestions was to upgrade the kernel source-code, but it is
> rather new, it is 2.4.26-gentoo-r9. Shouldn't that be good enough ?

I have 2.4.26-gentoo-r5 and no problems with iptables ...

The symbol is defined in 'net/core/netfilter.c', which is configured by the
basic option netfilter on/off. It cannot be compiled as module, so there's
something wrong with your kernel build.

I suggest to do a "make clean" on your kernel tree, then a "make dep" and
the usual "make bzImage && make modules". Install your modules, install the
kernel image and reboot.

Re: insmod ip_tables [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Tried what you suggested, but I get exactly the same problem.

I checked that netfilter was compiled when I built the kerlnel, and it was.
I also checked what features I had as "built in" in my
"kernel-build-config"-file, and netfilter is marked to be built in to the
kernel. And as far as I could see there was not even a warning when building
netfilter.

Any more suggestions ?

br Håkan E.

Re: insmod ip_tables [ In reply to ]
>From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@linznet.at>
>To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
>Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] insmod ip_tables
>Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 17:45:24 +0200
>
>Am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2004 21:57 schrieb nobody home:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Having problems when doing insmod ip_tables, I get
> >
> > unresolved symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
> >
> > and
> >
> > unresolved symbol nf_register_sockopt
> >
> > I've seen that several others have had the same problem (on different
> > mailing-list) but I've found no solution.
> >
> > I've installed "gentoo-source" from scratch stage1.
> >
> > I've tried (as others have done too) lots of different combinations of
> > features, built-in and as modules, but I still get the same problem.
> >
> > One of the suggestions was to upgrade the kernel source-code, but it is
> > rather new, it is 2.4.26-gentoo-r9. Shouldn't that be good enough ?
> >

>I have 2.4.26-gentoo-r5 and no problems with iptables ...
>
>The symbol is defined in 'net/core/netfilter.c', which is configured by the
>basic option netfilter on/off. It cannot be compiled as module, so there's
>something wrong with your kernel build.
>
>I suggest to do a "make clean" on your kernel tree, then a "make dep" and
>the usual "make bzImage && make modules". Install your modules, install the
>kernel image and reboot.
>

>--

I got it working. I did "emerge unmerge gentoo-sources" and then I erased
the entire source-code and did "emerge gentoo-sorces".

After recompiling the kernel again (with exactly the same config) it worked.

I think this happend because I did not include "netfliter" in the kernel
from the very beginning, I changed that in the config-file after the first
compilation (and compiled several times, without any success), and maybe not
everything that should have been recompiled was recompiled ??

Anyway it's working now.

br Håkan E.