emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv world =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1
emerge: please specify a package class ("world" or "system") or individual packages, but not both.

Where is my fault?

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
Andrew Gaydenko> emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv world
Andrew Gaydenko> =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1
Andrew Gaydenko> ..........
Andrew Gaydenko> emerge: please specify a package
Andrew Gaydenko> class ("world" or "system") or individual packages,
Andrew Gaydenko> but not both.
Andrew Gaydenko> Where is my fault?
You obvously can not emerge system and any package in one command.
DO:

# emerge system
# emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1

--
ó Õ×ÁÖÅÎÉÅÍ,
Alexey

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:46:50 +0400, Andrew Gaydenko <a@etver.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The command in subject says:
>
> emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv world =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1
> emerge: please specify a package class ("world" or "system") or individual packages, but not both.
>
> Where is my fault?

What are you exactly trying to do?... first... emerge -pv world will
tell you all the packages that has a new version on portage... emerge
-pv =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1 will tell you all the
necesary packages to install mozilla-firefox... but you cann't put
world and mozilla-firefox in the same line... because world will look
for newer versions on portage for all for all the packages that are
installed in your system... and the other one only for firefox...

David GP

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
Am Donnerstag, 7. Oktober 2004 12:46 schrieb ext Andrew Gaydenko:
> Hi,
>
> The command in subject says:
Should be: revdep-rebuild [options] [-- emerge options]

revdep-rebuild -- -pv world

HTH...

Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs | Tel: +49 (0)151 1513 6954
Cap Gemini Deutschland | Mail: dirk.heinrichs@capgemini.com

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
Oliver,

'revdep-rebuild -pv' works, thanks! Do I understand well such
command tests overall libs integrity?

======= On Thursday 07 October 2004 15:15, Oliver Beowulf Friedrich wrote: =======
| Andrew Gaydenko> emerge: please specify a package
| Andrew Gaydenko> class ("world" or "system") or individual packages,
| Andrew Gaydenko> but not both.

Try

"revdep-rebuild" only, you need not to type world keyword

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The command in subject says:
>
> emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv world =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1
> emerge: please specify a package class ("world" or "system") or individual packages, but not both.
>

> Where is my fault?

Hm, which part of the error message did you not understand? I'm really
curious?

Alexander Skwar
--
panic("aha1740.c"); /* Goodbye */
2.2.16 /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aha1740.c

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
The same error: "emerge: please specify a package class ("world" or "system")
or individual packages, but not both"

'--' is indead '[--]', as '-h' says:

Usage: /usr/bin/revdep-rebuild [OPTIONS] [--] [EMERGE_OPTIONS]

Re: Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
Alexander,

There is one class "world" only in arguments, but the message insists on
there are more arguments.

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
The reason for your original error is that revdep-rebuild determines
what packages need to be rebuilt and sends that to the emerge command.
By listing world in the command line, you were telling emerge to do
something that it doesn't support, emerge a specific package and world
at the same time.

On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 06:29, Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> 'revdep-rebuild -pv' works, thanks! Do I understand well such
> command tests overall libs integrity?

Yes and no. revdep-rebuild is designed to do two things

1. When called without the --soname option, it will scan your entire
system for shared objects (executables and libraries) for broken dynamic
links. When it finds a shared object with broken dynamic linking, it
determines what package installed the object and rebuilds it. The
theory is that rebuilding the package will fix the problem (It does for
99% of the cases). Two places where it doesn't work is OpenOffice - it
appears to broken when it actually is not and binary packages.

Dynamic linking isn't the only thing that can be broken. I have seen
quite a few reports from people who have upgraded gcc from 3.3 to 3.4
where libraries compiled with 3.3 don't play nicely with stuff compiled
with 3.4. However, since the dynamic linking was not broken,
revdep-rebuild did not detect any problems.

2. When called with the --soname <some library.so>, revdep-rebuild will
scan the entire system looking for shared objects that dynamically link
to the library specified. This can be used to force a rebuild of all
packages that dynamically link to a specific library. This only works
for dynamic linking, it has no way to determine if an object has a
static link to a library.

To summarize, revdep-rebuild only checks dynamic linking of shared
objects.

Regards,
Paul

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
> The command in subject says:
>
> emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv world
> =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1 .......... emerge: please
> specify a package class ("world" or "system") or individual packages,
> but not both.
>

> Where is my fault?

revdep-rebuild passes the options you specify to emerge when it calls it
at the end, so your '-pv world' is being passed to emerge along with the
command that revdep-rebuild creates, which has a list of specific packages
to remerge.

try running your revdep-rebuild without the 'world' and it should work.

to save some time, you may want to use '-a' instead of '-p'. the '-a'
option will list the packages like '-p' and ask if you want to emerge
them. this way, if there's anything to emerge, you won't need to run the
revdep-rebuild again.

--
trey

Re: Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
> Alexander,
>
> There is one class "world" only in arguments, but the message insists on
> there are more arguments.

Andrew, do you understand that in your original message, the command you
used had *two* arguments?

Here it is:

>> The command in subject says:
>>
>> emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv world =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1
>> emerge: please specify a package class ("world" or "system") or individual packages, but not both.

You are here using two class/package arguments; "world" and
"=net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1"

Emerge does not take this, which is what it told you in fairly clear
language.

The correct command would be *either* 'emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv
world' (which seems an insane command to me, if emerge will even let you
do it), *or* 'emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv
=net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1' (which is a command one might
reasonably want to run under certain circumstances).

Then at some point you moved on to revdep-rebuild, which takes no
class/package arguments at all (use either 'revdep-rebuild -p' to see
what it's going to do beforehand or 'revdep-rebuild' to just do it).

Hope this clears up the confusion, as we're talking about multiple
things in this thread, without necessarily specifying which we're
referring to at any given moment, or so it seems to me.

Holly

Re: revdep-rebuild -pv world [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 14:46:50 +0400, Andrew Gaydenko <a@etver.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The command in subject says:
>
> emerge --oneshot --nodeps -pv world =net-www/mozilla-firefox-bin-1.0_pre-r1
> emerge: please specify a package class ("world" or "system") or individual packages, but not both.
>
> Where is my fault?

If I understand you correctly, the above is cut from the output of
revdep-rebuild?

I suspect you ran revdep-rebuild as "revdep-rebuild -- -pv world",
where you should have done "revdep-rebuild -- -pv".