Mailing List Archive

Howto Mount gentoo's "/" under FC2 for Normal User access?
Hi,

I know this is a newbie question and most likely can be found in the
archives/googling but I've spent >30 min looking for it to no avail.

I'm still trying to get gentoo up and running and in the meantime, I'm
doing it chroot'ed style in FC2.

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

The problem here is that I can't do it as a normal user.

I do

$ sudo mount /dev/hda9 /mnt/gentoo
and then
su -
(root password)
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

I know I can mount it in such a way that normal users can access it. But
the way I'm doing it, I need to have root access. If I type

$ chroot /dev/hda9 /mnt/gentoo

as normal user, I get a permission denied.

I've tried

sudo mount -o users,uid=500 /dev/hda9 /mnt/gentoo

But that doesn't work either.

What about the --bind option? Not sure if that will work or how to use
it.

Thanks.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel

Re: Howto Mount gentoo's "/" under FC2 for Normal User access? [ In reply to ]
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this is a newbie question and most likely can be found in the
> archives/googling but I've spent >30 min looking for it to no avail.
>
> I'm still trying to get gentoo up and running and in the meantime, I'm
> doing it chroot'ed style in FC2.
>
> chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
>
> The problem here is that I can't do it as a normal user.

Why exactly do you need to do it as a normal user? Most of the stuff you do
during a Gentoo install requires root access.

--
Andrew Gaffney
Network Administrator

Re: Howto Mount gentoo's "/" under FC2 for Normal User access? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 11:15, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know this is a newbie question and most likely can be found in the
> > archives/googling but I've spent >30 min looking for it to no avail.
> >
> > I'm still trying to get gentoo up and running and in the meantime, I'm
> > doing it chroot'ed style in FC2.
> >
> > chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
> >
> > The problem here is that I can't do it as a normal user.
>
> Why exactly do you need to do it as a normal user? Most of the stuff you do
> during a Gentoo install requires root access.

Well.. What I want to do is say.. I have root access to the gentoo box
being set-up, but I don't have root access to the FC2 box.

Say I want to export via NFS my soon to be gentoo box to a 16 way
(hypothetically) 5GHz Linux Cluster and use it's processing power to
compile stuffs. I can mount Filesystems but I don't have the box's root
password.

How do I go about it then??

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 11:56:27 up 2:35, 5 users, load average: 0.81, 0.32, 0.22

Re: Howto Mount gentoo's "/" under FC2 for Normal User access? [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 07 Oct 2004 04:58, Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 11:15, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
> > Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I know this is a newbie question and most likely can be found in the
> > > archives/googling but I've spent >30 min looking for it to no avail.
> > >
> > > I'm still trying to get gentoo up and running and in the meantime, I'm
> > > doing it chroot'ed style in FC2.
> > >
> > > chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
> > >
> > > The problem here is that I can't do it as a normal user.
> >
> > Why exactly do you need to do it as a normal user? Most of the stuff you
> > do during a Gentoo install requires root access.
>
> Well.. What I want to do is say.. I have root access to the gentoo box
> being set-up, but I don't have root access to the FC2 box.
>
> Say I want to export via NFS my soon to be gentoo box to a 16 way
> (hypothetically) 5GHz Linux Cluster and use it's processing power to
> compile stuffs. I can mount Filesystems but I don't have the box's root
> password.
>
> How do I go about it then??

chroot(2) requires root, so.. you'll need root on any box you build a stage
on.

Elfyn

--
Elfyn McBratney
beu on irc.freenode.net/savannah.[non]gnu.org

PGP Key ID: 0x456548B4
PGP Key Fingerprint:
29D5 91BB 8748 7CC9 650F 31FE 6888 0C2A 4565 48B4

Re: Howto Mount gentoo's "/" under FC2 for Normal User access? [ In reply to ]
If you can get the sysadmins on the Cluster to install distcc you can
"steal" cycles from the cluster to compile stuff for your gentoo box.
There are a few things that your gentoo box will have to compile for
itself, but everything else should work well.

Re: Howto Mount gentoo's "/" under FC2 for Normal User access? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 03:43, Jeffrey Wong wrote:
> If you can get the sysadmins on the Cluster to install distcc you can
> "steal" cycles from the cluster to compile stuff for your gentoo box.
> There are a few things that your gentoo box will have to compile for
> itself, but everything else should work well.

Okay.. So root access is needed any-which way.. Drats.

Okay.. Thanks

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 10:21:44 up 1:05, 8 users, load average: 0.54, 0.88, 1.03

Re: Howto Mount gentoo's "/" under FC2 for Normal User access? [ In reply to ]

Re: Howto Mount gentoo's "/" under FC2 for Normal User access? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 03:43, Jeffrey Wong wrote:
> If you can get the sysadmins on the Cluster to install distcc you can
> "steal" cycles from the cluster to compile stuff for your gentoo box.
> There are a few things that your gentoo box will have to compile for
> itself, but everything else should work well.

Okay.. So root access is needed any-which way.. Drats.

Okay.. Thanks

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 10:21:44 up 1:05, 8 users, load average: 0.54, 0.88, 1.03

--
Ow Mun Heng
Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 on D600 1.4Ghz CPU kernel
2.6.7-2.jul1-interactive
Neuromancer 16:48:44 up 25 min, 4 users, load average: 0.58, 1.26, 1.22