Mailing List Archive

No sound when playing CD's
Hi,

I have no sound when playing music CD's. How would I trouble shoot this?

Re: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
it can be sereral reason... but the first one that comes into my mind
is that you have volume 0 or mute to the CD channel of your souncard,
open a terminal... and if you use alsa... execute alsamixer... check
the volumen values of you CD audio channel.

David GP

RE: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
Ok, I have unmuted and set the volume to 50, for Master, PCM, and CD, but
still no sound while playing a cd.

Re: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
I'm asuming that you can play perfectly mp3 or wav files... so... the
only things that is happen to my head right now is that you don't have
the audio cable conected form your cd-rom to your soundcard... umm...
I know that is posible to play cds reading the data files... I mean
digitally, instead of using the analog out-put that comes with every
cd-rom... but I don't remember if some linux programs support it... I
will do a bit of surfing and lets see what I can find...

David GP

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:43:39 -0400, Debelius, Brian

Re: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
Check this link... here is some info about this problem for
Mandrake... but the solution will be similar to Gentoo:
http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/audio_cd.html

David GP

Re: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, [ISO-8859-1] David García Pérez wrote:

> I'm asuming that you can play perfectly mp3 or wav files... so... the
> only things that is happen to my head right now is that you don't have
> the audio cable conected form your cd-rom to your soundcard... umm...
> I know that is posible to play cds reading the data files... I mean
> digitally, instead of using the analog out-put that comes with every
> cd-rom... but I don't remember if some linux programs support it... I
> will do a bit of surfing and lets see what I can find...
>
> David GP
>

> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:43:39 -0400, Debelius, Brian
> <bdebelius@advprograms.com> wrote:
> > Ok, I have unmuted and set the volume to 50, for Master, PCM, and CD, but
> > still no sound while playing a cd.
> >

> > it can be sereral reason... but the first one that comes into my mind is
> > that you have volume 0 or mute to the CD channel of your souncard, open a
> > terminal... and if you use alsa... execute alsamixer... check the volumen
> > values of you CD audio channel.
> >
> > David GP
> >
> > On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:53:38 -0400, Debelius, Brian
> > <bdebelius@advprograms.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have no sound when playing music CD's. How would I trouble shoot
> > > this?

Hi,

XMMS has this feature. You select the CDROM input plugin, go to the
config button.

Just a question, if you plug a headphone to your CDROM, do you hear
anything.

HTH.
Cheers,
Tamas Sarga
--
A day is 24 hours long. Egy nap 24 órából áll.
A box of beer contains 24 bottles. Egy tálcán 24 üveg sör van.

RE: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
Ok, I just played an mp3 fine. I had to adjust the controls to 100. Now I
can hear it, but it is quiet compared to when I played the MP3.

Re: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:56:07 +0200, David García Pérez <davidgp@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm asuming that you can play perfectly mp3 or wav files... so... the
> only things that is happen to my head right now is that you don't have
> the audio cable conected form your cd-rom to your soundcard... umm...
> I know that is posible to play cds reading the data files... I mean
> digitally, instead of using the analog out-put that comes with every
> cd-rom... but I don't remember if some linux programs support it... I
> will do a bit of surfing and lets see what I can find...
>
> David GP
>
> On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:43:39 -0400, Debelius, Brian
> <bdebelius@advprograms.com> wrote:
> > Ok, I have unmuted and set the volume to 50, for Master, PCM, and CD, but
>

> > still no sound while playing a cd.

David,
there are two ways that a CD can be played:

1) Analog
2) Digital

To play a CD in analog mode you have to have a cable going between
your CD drive and your sound card. Most systems no longer come with
this cable. Unfortunately it is my understanding (from at least a year
ago) that xmms only plays CDs in analog mode.

To play a CD digitally you need a player that plays digitally across
the PCI bus. alsaplayer is to most simple application I know of that
does this, and in fact alsaplayer ONLY plays digitally so it's a good
test case. emerge alsaplayer and run it. It will automatically connect
it's outputs to pcm_playback1/2. Insert the CD and choose CD Player in
the menu within the icon in the lower left. Adjust volumes and it
should play just fine.

good luck,
Mark

Re: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht wrote:

> David,
> there are two ways that a CD can be played:
>
> 1) Analog
> 2) Digital
>
> To play a CD in analog mode you have to have a cable going between
> your CD drive and your sound card. Most systems no longer come with
> this cable. Unfortunately it is my understanding (from at least a year
> ago) that xmms only plays CDs in analog mode.

Your understanding is in fact out of date. Current versions of XMMS do
play CDs in digital mode (I am using version 1.2.10, don't know when it
was added), if you follow Tamas' instructions, reproduced here:

> Tamas Sarga wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> XMMS has this feature. You select the CDROM input plugin, go to the
>> config button.
>>
>> HTH.
>> Cheers,
>> Tamas Sarga

Brian, I would also suggest that you check alsamixer again-- if you have
OSS emulation enabled, you actually have *two* sets of mixers; the OSS
emulated mixers, and the "real" ALSA mixers, accessed by using the left
arrow key until it won't go any further. It's possible that the 'real'
mixer for your sound card is at a lower volume than you want.

Secondly, you might want to adjust the voulme of XMMS itself, or check
the configuration of the output plugin you are using (ALSA, OSS, aRTs,
whatever).

Hope this helps,

Holly

Re: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
David García Pérez wrote:
> it can be sereral reason... but the first one that comes into my mind
> is that you have volume 0 or mute to the CD channel of your souncard,
> open a terminal... and if you use alsa... execute alsamixer... check
> the volumen values of you CD audio channel.

And check audio cable between CDD and audio input header on board.

noro

Re: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 20:00:14 +0200, Holly Bostick <motub@planet.nl> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>
> > To play a CD in analog mode you have to have a cable going between
> > your CD drive and your sound card. Most systems no longer come with
> > this cable. Unfortunately it is my understanding (from at least a year
> > ago) that xmms only plays CDs in analog mode.
>
> Your understanding is in fact out of date. Current versions of XMMS do
> play CDs in digital mode (I am using version 1.2.10, don't know when it
> was added), if you follow Tamas' instructions, reproduced here:
<SNIP>

Holly - thanks for the update! Good to know that digital playback is
now there in xmms.

Still, it's possible that Brian isn't using digital playback. (if it
takes any special setup.) If he's using analog playback then he does
need to recheck his mixer levels, both master, master mute as well as
'CD' or whatever his driver calls the analog mix level. If he's using
digital playback then he also needs to check the PCM level and mute.

And as a number of us have said, if he's using analog playback then he
needs to make sure he has the analog cable installed. (Best if he just
uses digital though.)

Cheers,
Mark

RE: No sound when playing CD's [ In reply to ]
Thanks guys, I got it. It was just playing so softly I could not hear it.